The Student Room Group

Engineering

Is it true that engineers are low paid, you find it really hard to find a job after you graduate etc.?????

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Bump
Reply 2
There are few engineering jobs relative to how many people actually apply for those jobs. In some cases, yes they can be "low paid".
Reply 3
Original post by 0le
There are few engineering jobs relative to how many people actually apply for those jobs. In some cases, yes they can be "low paid".

Oh ok, might have to skip that plan and become an accountant instead...
Reply 4
Original post by Rolo1234

Others will say there are still lots of jobs. My advice is to first, do something you will enjoy. Engineers will have lots of jobs to apply for: consultancy, technology, engineering (obviously), data science and finance. I am perhaps biased and pessimistic because I am looking for a job and getting rejections sucks. I would say however, that you should probably do mech eng, or electrical rather than something like chemical eng which seems to have fewer jobs.
Reply 5
Original post by 0le
Others will say there are still lots of jobs. My advice is to first, do something you will enjoy. Engineers will have lots of jobs to apply for: consultancy, technology, engineering (obviously), data science and finance. I am perhaps biased and pessimistic because I am looking for a job and getting rejections sucks. I would say however, that you should probably do mech eng, or electrical rather than something like chemical eng which seems to have fewer jobs.

what about the pay?
Reply 6
wait guys can I get into finance with an engineering degree such as accounting etc. if I dont somehow manage to get a job as an engineer?
Reply 7
Bump

When I graduated from Oxford, accountancy was the number one employer of Engineers :frown:

On the plus side, it's always an option if you fail to find employment in engineering.
Reply 9
Original post by RogerOxon
When I graduated from Oxford, accountancy was the number one employer of Engineers :frown:

On the plus side, it's always an option if you fail to find employment in engineering

what did you graduate from?
what did you graduate from?

Engineering and Computing Science, a long, long time ago :frown:

Don’t just do a job for the salary, it’s utterly pointless
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 12
Original post by RogerOxon
Engineering and Computing Science, a long, long time ago :frown:

...so are you an accountant now?
Reply 13
Original post by Greywolftwo
Don’t just do a job for the salary, it’s utterly pointless

but it is really not worth the education. Think about how much time education takes
wait guys can I get into finance with an engineering degree such as accounting etc. if I dont somehow manage to get a job as an engineer?

Yes - it would be highly value added in fact. I'm an accountant who has worked with lots of engineers if you want to know more.
Reply 15
what about the pay?

It varies depending on the job and location, but the average graduate salary is probably around £27000.
...so are you an accountant now?

No. Computing in Silicon Valley pays more :smile:
Reply 17
Original post by ajj2000
Yes - it would be highly value added in fact. I'm an accountant who has worked with lots of engineers if you want to know more.

wait so are you saying an engineering degree is better than accounting?
Reply 18
What's the job market like for Aerospace Engineering graduates?
wait so are you saying an engineering degree is better than accounting?

Well - you cant be an engineer with an accounting degree but you can become an accountant with an engineering degree. Someone with an engineering degree who enters accounting may have particular benefits in their career. Firstly - the level of maths in engineering degrees is far greater than a standard business/ accounting degree. Secondly the specific background can be of value.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending