The Student Room Group

English language (9093) CIE AS&A-Level

Hey everyone i'm giving As an A level this oct 18 is the date for p1 i did a paper at home and found out that within the time limit i could only complete q1 fully and only part b of question 2 any tips for how to solve all in a given time period, as two days are left
Original post by Haris7351
Hey everyone i'm giving As an A level this oct 18 is the date for p1 i did a paper at home and found out that within the time limit i could only complete q1 fully and only part b of question 2 any tips for how to solve all in a given time period, as two days are left

It's better to give atleast partial answers in the 2 questions than leave any question unattended. Only spend 15 minutes analysing the text and do not spend more than 35-40 minutes on each language analysis and 15-20 on the directed writing. It is best to stop writing the moment you've reached the time limit and move onto the next question.

I did the mistake of not managing my time properly in my English Language paper in may/june 2019 and couldn't complete the second question and I ended up with a B grade. So I'm resitting it in the oct/nov 2019 series. I've learnt my lesson.

Good Luck on the paper this Friday by the way!
Reply 2
Original post by wazzupitsme
It's better to give atleast partial answers in the 2 questions than leave any question unattended. Only spend 15 minutes analysing the text and do not spend more than 35-40 minutes on each language analysis and 15-20 on the directed writing. It is best to stop writing the moment you've reached the time limit and move onto the next question.

I did the mistake of not managing my time properly in my English Language paper in may/june 2019 and couldn't complete the second question and I ended up with a B grade. So I'm resitting it in the oct/nov 2019 series. I've learnt my lesson.

Good Luck on the paper this Friday by the way!

Thank you so much that is a much help i have is in the candidates response booklet scoring an A in P1 in part is hell of a different response of what i wrote today should i copy that pattern today as you know friday is the exam and use that view instead of mine, or is too late now
(edited 4 years ago)
Thank you so much that is a much help i have is in the candidates response booklet scoring an A in P1 in part is hell of a different response of what i wrote today should i copy that pattern today as you know friday is the exam and use that view instead of mine, or is too late now

What pattern do you follow when you write your language and style analysis?
Reply 4
Original post by wazzupitsme
What pattern do you follow when you write your language and style analysis?

I mean to say is first parag 1. genre purpose target of reader
Further paras describe the Point quotation comment method on the alliteration fig language verbs adjectives rhetorical questions dialogues metaphor similies used by the writer and its effects for the readers method.etc but the A student's don't follow that pattern instead they use an overall progression based approach as you can see that in the student booklet
(edited 4 years ago)
I mean to say is first parag 1. genre purpose target of reader
Further paras describe the Point quotation comment method on the alliteration fig language verbs adjectives rhetorical questions dialogues metaphor similies used by the writer and its effects for the readers method.etc but the A student's don't follow that pattern instead they use an overall progression based approach as you can see that in the student booklet

One of my teachers who is an examiner as well told me that a combination of following the PQC method and an overall effect method works best.
write faster and dont get caught up too much on each question
How many phrases should one generally choose when writing the commentary?
Original post by Punextended
How many phrases should one generally choose when writing the commentary?

if your talking about paper 1 (as), then about 600-900 words. But its about quality not quantity, so if you've written 600 and its good, then thats better than 900 words and waffle.
generally, all the commentaries are 600-900, short 120-150 and when asked to write 2 pieces in one question 300-400.
So generally how many points should one expound on within that word limit?
So generally how many points should one expound on within that word limit?

theres not an exact amount
when writing paper 1 i write an intro, then 3 paragraphs based on different stylistic and language features for example, p1 - similies and metaphors (personification relating to the similes and metaphors), p2- emotive language and how it makes the reader feel etc, p3- tone, mood, audience, purpose. Theres not an amount of exact points you have to write, but you need to cover a range of about 5/6 features in your commentary going into depth about the effects in creates, what this does to the reader. and 600-900 words.
Original post by fairypixie
theres not an exact amount
when writing paper 1 i write an intro, then 3 paragraphs based on different stylistic and language features for example, p1 - similies and metaphors (personification relating to the similes and metaphors), p2- emotive language and how it makes the reader feel etc, p3- tone, mood, audience, purpose. Theres not an amount of exact points you have to write, but you need to cover a range of about 5/6 features in your commentary going into depth about the effects in creates, what this does to the reader. and 600-900 words.

Well damn. Should've seen this before the exam.
Well damn. Should've seen this before the exam.

how come? ahahah
Reply 13
Original post by fairypixie
how come? ahahah

Well Guys AS P1 And P2 went pretty well aparts from some mistakes Thank for your comments gave me enough strength in doing well now I need some tips regarding P3 and P4 exam is going to be held on 1st and 5 November. I have just started P3 and tips and tricks to go through as there is only unit 4 in Mike gould and marilyn rankin's Cambridge English Language Book.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending