The Student Room Group

Will I burn out? - 11 hours revision a day for 8 months

Hi,

So there is really no other way around for me other than to revise for maximum 11 hours (minimum 8 hours) from today until the 17th of June, when I will sit my last A-level exam. I want to give my A-levels my best attempt. I am scared though because I have heard stories of people burning out. Is burning out an actual thing? Can some please be immune to it? How likely is it that I will burn out?

Scroll to see replies

Hi,
I would really strong advise you against this plan because you will 100% burnout.
Working that many hours of day is extremely unrealistic and you will not be able to deal with this system until June. Instead I advise that you make a more lenient plan with yourself with more relaxed days and days off.
My favourite advice to give is that you should listen to your body and mind. If one day you don’t feel up to it then don’t feel scared to take a break
Good luck :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
Hi,

So there is really no other way around for me other than to revise for maximum 11 hours (minimum 8 hours) from today until the 17th of June, when I will sit my last A-level exam. I want to give my A-levels my best attempt. I am scared though because I have heard stories of people burning out. Is burning out an actual thing? Can some please be immune to it? How likely is it that I will burn out?

you are being ridiculous. a levels don't need that level of commitment. not even a degree does.
Reply 3
Yes burning out does exist, revise when wide awake, feeling ok and you will absorb as much information as possible.
That would be pretty much impossible :eek:
Reply 5
Most people won't be able to do it. I would advise to set yourself manageable goals like half an hour a day on weekdays and a few hours on the weekend. You can then build up more hours, or less, depending on how you feel - just start with some VERY simple goals and work from there. Remember it is also important to have regular breaks to get your mind off things. Good luck!
You will definitely burn out. I remember when I was doing my AS Levels, our headteacher told us to study eight hours a day - this was just over holidays as well. We were sitting in English and my teacher looked at us and said "don't listen to him. Only study a maximum of four hours a day, otherwise you will burn out". I took his advice and ended up with AAB in my A Levels and a first-class degree from university.
Damn I don’t think I even did 11hours a month...
Reply 8
Original post by Ciel.
you are being ridiculous. a levels don't need that level of commitment. not even a degree does.

I have too much content that needs to be covered and then there is the LNAT :frown: Kind of have to.
Reply 9
Is there anyone who has done this and not burnt out?
Asking for hope.
Reply 10
Asking for hope.

Universities want more than just academia, you need to prove you can cope with both studying and leisure activities. If you do too much work it will only turn around and not work in your favour.
The way I was going to go about studying for so long is like this:
8 am - 12 pm

An hour break.

1pm - 6 p.

2 hours break.

8 pm -10 pm.

And then time to myself and sleep.

Original post by Lostx
Universities want more than just academia, you need to prove you can cope with both studying and leisure activities. If you do too much work it will only turn around and not work in your favour.
Reply 12
Asking for hope.

You can do it if you genuinely enjoy the work and find it interesting. But it would take an extreme amount of dedication and time management to do it for 8 months. You will probably last 2 weeks and give up. Its a lot better to take it step by step - you will be surprised how much you can learn by doing small increments every day rather than cramming long hours in.
Reply 13
The way I was going to go about studying for so long is like this:
8 am - 12 pm

An hour break.

1pm - 6 p.

2 hours break.

8 pm -10 pm.

And then time to myself and sleep.

That’s a lot of studying! It would surprise me if you could keep up with it.
Original post by 0le
You can do it if you genuinely enjoy the work and find it interesting. But it would take an extreme amount of dedication and time management to do it for 8 months. You will probably last 2 weeks and give up. Its a lot better to take it step by step - you will be surprised how much you can learn by doing small increments every day rather than cramming long hours in.

Thank you so much for your reply! xxx
Yes, I am leaving 2 days in a month when I do NOTHING. No school work, go to the cinema or out with friends. I don't know. I was thinking that if I burn out, I would much rather burn out around Feb (what are the 'symptoms' of a burn out anyway?), take a week off and carry on than to not have content covered and PANIC (good god, not that, anything but panic) near the exam period.
Don’t man. Four hours a day is a lot. If you’re so keen start off a couple hours a day for general revision and be increase to eight during exam seasons, whether that’s mocks or the actual summer exams.

It’s unnecessary and you’re not gonna become exhausted.
Original post by Lostx
That’s a lot of studying! It would surprise me if you could keep up with it.

I would surprise myself too, my friend. This all theoretical talk.

Thank you for your help! xx
You have plenty of time and you’re just panicking. Revising that much would lead to burnout. Quality over quantity. Come up with a good and sustainable study plan.
Thank you so much for your reply! xxx
Yes, I am leaving 2 days in a month when I do NOTHING. No school work, go to the cinema or out with friends. I don't know. I was thinking that if I burn out, I would much rather burn out around Feb (what are the 'symptoms' of a burn out anyway?), take a week off and carry on than to not have content covered and PANIC (good god, not that, anything but panic) near the exam period.

Bruh I leave two days out of the week to myself and I got A*AA in my internal schools mocks in end of yr12. You don’t need to work 28/29 days a month!

You can if you want but doing 11 hours 28/29 days is insane.
Okay, so it seems I have been thinking a little....irrationally? I might consider cutting down the hours to 9 hours.

Thanks everyone for your inputs. x

Latest

Trending

Trending