The Student Room Group

ENGAA Prep Thread 2019 (for 2020 Admissions)

Welcome to the ENGAA prep thread 2019 (for admission in 2020). This is the place to discuss, post problems, or ask any questions you may have regarding the exam.

What is ENGAA?

ENGAA is a pre-interview written assessment for Engineering required by the University of Cambridge.

Dates

Registration deadline: 15 October, 2019
Exam: 30 October, 2019

Registration

You can find the details here.

Specification, Past Paper and Assessment Format can be found here.

Other Resources

What's New

ENGAA is mostly based on AS level physics and mathematics. However, this year some new A level topics are added. So I highly recommend reading this year's spec.

Tips

Last year's thread may provide you some valuable insight.

In general, time is one of the most important factors in ENGAA. So just the understanding of concepts is not enough; you should be able to solve problems quickly and accurately. Please note that calculators are not permitted.

Speed and accuracy can only be gained through practise so I recommend you to solve every past paper under strict time conditions. iWantToStudyEngineering is an excellent resource so make good use of it.

@Doones
(edited 4 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Is this for 2020 admissions then?
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by a1.weirdo
Is this for 2020 admissions then?

Yes. Sorry for the confusion. Even if it's for 2020 admission, the ENGAA exam itself takes place in 2019.
is everyone starting their prep now then?
Original post by TheFlash...cards
is everyone starting their prep now then?

I've started a tiny bit but nothing too drastic just yet
What sort of % should I aim to get, I’ve heard that around 50% is what is considered a ‘good’ mark my Cambridge?
Reply 6
Original post by Anonymous_guy011
What sort of % should I aim to get, I’ve heard that around 50% is what is considered a ‘good’ mark my Cambridge?

Yes 50% is a very good score. But try to aim for 60% and above.
Original post by esrever
Yes 50% is a very good score. But try to aim for 60% and above.

Thanks I will do. What about the PAT test, what kind of % is considered a ‘good’ score
Reply 8
Original post by Anonymous_guy011
Thanks I will do. What about the PAT test, what kind of % is considered a ‘good’ score

I am not sure :frown:. Try checking on the Oxford forum.
How are you guys finding the specimen paper? I did it and i was nowhere near to what is considered to be interview worthy. Am i the only one here or everyone is finding the same?
Original post by 36 That Boy
How are you guys finding the specimen paper? I did it and i was nowhere near to what is considered to be interview worthy. Am i the only one here or everyone is finding the same?

Of course these questions wouldn't be at the level of interview Qs, at most you're meant to be averaging 3 minutes per mark for section 2, in an interview you will have far more time to complete the Questions
Are we supposed to know radioactive equations for Fission and Fusion this year?
Are we supposed to know radioactive equations for Fission and Fusion this year?

i believe its just fission but check the spec for 2019 to be sure
Original post by James_Watson_
i believe its just fission but check the spec for 2019 to be sure

Just checked it but can't see either fission or fusion. I think they have taken it out this year and have added Magnetism instead. Radioactivity was way better than magnetism imo
does anyone know how important the ENGAA is to whether or not they interview?
I have the same question. I heard they interview around 75-80% of the applicants. But knowing a cut off mark for the ENGAA to get an interview would be useful to know imo. Anyone have an idea??
I have the same question. I heard they interview around 75-80% of the applicants. But knowing a cut off mark for the ENGAA to get an interview would be useful to know imo. Anyone have an idea??

It’s very difficult to say a cut off mark because it’s not the only aspect of the application that they take into consideration despite it being a big part of it. If you really want a number my personal instinct for a cut off mark would be about 45-55%
Which college are u applying to?

The average score in the past few years was 50%, so I would say 40% would have been the rough cut off mark before. But as you know, our exam is far different from prior years, so I don't think we can make an accurate prediction to what the cut-off point is.
Is it just me or was the 2019 new specimen paper easier than past papers. I averaged 50% in the old ones and got 73% in the specimen.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending