The Student Room Group

economics bsc DEGREE without a level maths

basically I wanna do economics bsc but I don't have a level maths, a lot of universities dont ask for a level maths but i'm wondering if i'll struggle with the mathematic modules. Thanks.
You shouldn't struggle much in the first year as lecturers try to get everyone up to a similar standard so they usually explain everything very slowly. Just make sure you practise questions before the exams and you should be alright.
Original post by Xilogreen
You shouldn't struggle much in the first year as lecturers try to get everyone up to a similar standard so they usually explain everything very slowly. Just make sure you practise questions before the exams and you should be alright.

Alright thanks, what about 3rd and 2nd year? Because apparently there's calculus and probability. Have you done it at degree?
Reply 3
Some of my 1st year econ modules at uni had calculus and all of my 2nd year econ modules do

If you work hard you will be able to do it, though
t

Original post by h3110
Some of my 1st year econ modules at uni had calculus and all of my 2nd year econ modules do

If you work hard you will be able to do it, though

thanks so much! last question sorry lmao, how are you enjoying it? is it interesting or fun? or is it boring
Original post by a n o h a
t

thanks so much! last question sorry lmao, how are you enjoying it? is it interesting or fun? or is it boring

and lastlyyyy, will they teach the a level maths content from scratch?
Reply 6

I am doing a joint degree (half economics) and i really enjoy the economics modules. It is interesting, not boring

They did teach the a level maths content from scratch but at a much faster pace than a levels. For example, calculus methods that are taught over 1 year in a level maths were taught in a few weeks of uni classes
Original post by h3110
I am doing a joint degree (half economics) and i really enjoy the economics modules. It is interesting, not boring

They did teach the a level maths content from scratch but at a much faster pace than a levels. For example, calculus methods that are taught over 1 year in a level maths were taught in a few weeks of uni classes

wow seriously? How will I cope then.
Reply 8
wow seriously? How will I cope then.

Since you don't have a level maths I assume you are applying to universities at which a level maths isn't a requirement to study economics. These econ degrees will obviously be less quantitative than at unis that require a level maths
basically I wanna do economics bsc but I don't have a level maths, a lot of universities dont ask for a level maths but i'm wondering if i'll struggle with the mathematic modules. Thanks.

I wouldn't even consider doing economics at university without A level maths, passed at a high grade.
Reply 10
OP have you considered Economics BA? Instead of BSc?

There is both calculus and probability in the modules studied and they definitely teach it faster than they do at A-level. However, if the uni does not require maths I'm sure there would be plenty of help available and they would go through it at a suitable pace. I study at Loughborough University, which didn't require maths for econ, but there is a maths help centre for those that need help.
Personally I enjoy economics, although now that I am in 2nd year, the content has definitely become more difficult and it is quite hard to keep up as I am currently in the process of placement applications.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending