The Student Room Group

History VS. Geography

Hi, I'm in year 9 and we are choosing our GCSEs in January and im still struggling to choose between geography and history. I have always liked history but I like geography too and I just don't know which one to choose.
any opinions and advice will be helpful. Thanks x
Personally, I think it's more important to learn History. But Geography is probably easier. So it depends on your priorities.
Reply 2
Original post by SlightlySummer
Which one do you enjoy more, and which one do you find easier? I have always been a history person since I was a kid, what have you always found more interesting?
Geography is more easier than History, in terms of exams and History requires a lot of memorisation

exactly my point haha x I have always enjoyed history but I have also enjoyed geography too and that is why I'm struggling.
Original post by s.arrouji
Hi, I'm in year 9 and we are choosing our GCSEs in January and im still struggling to choose between geography and history. I have always liked history but I like geography too and I just don't know which one to choose.

History has a lot of content, but don’t fret about that because the case studies you need to learn in geography equates to the history content. I take history (in year 11) and my twin takes geography. Ask any questions if you want😌
Honestly I would say do History, it's so beneficial as it crops up in all sorts of subjects - especially if you have an interest in more essay based subject. I did History GCSE and got a level 9 and now I do it for a-level along with Politics and Economics and GCSE History knowledge still crops up in all of my subjects. However, if you feel like going down a more science based route geography may be more beneficial. Good luck!
Personally I did both history and geography and honestly history at GCSE level was quite different then KS3. You have to more in depth interpretation and write alot of essays. There are also alot of dates key facts and peoples names to remember . Geography for me was slot more fun and easier and GCSE level it's more like building upon what you already know (a bit like science) .this was easier for me to understand and learn. Although you have to write down some long questions. (4 paragraphs roughly) they are less than history. .in year 10 I dropped history for geography and honestly it's the best decision I have ever done :smile:
I agree with everyone else, take the one you enjoy the most. I know you’ve said you enjoy both, but is there one that interests you a bit more?
I know that a levels are a while away but do you want to take one of them for a levels?
I took both subjects at GCSEs and got 9s in both and am now taking geography a level so feel free to ask any questions.
History has a lot of content and to get top marks you need to remember key/ precise details. Geography is less content wise but a lot of case studies
Reply 7
Original post by Isabelpayne200
History has a lot of content, but don’t fret about that because the case studies you need to learn in geography equates to the history content. I take history (in year 11) and my twin takes geography. Ask any questions if you want😌

ok cool! what kind of content are you learning for history and what kind of content is your twin? thanks for the reply x
In history there’s:
Medicine through time so from the medieval period, learning about the four humours (what they believed caused diseases) then the Renaissance period with the discovery of smallpox and industrial period with discovery of dna and technology and how all of these progressed to improve prevention and treatment of diseases in the present day.
Then Elizabethan period, learning about plots created to get her off the throne because she wasn’t a ‘legitimate queen’ according to Christians who didn’t like her Protestant faith. And how spain and France affected the catholic and Protestant beliefs in England.
Then the Cold War, saying about how usa (who believe In capitalism) and Soviet Union (believed in communism society) were divided and the effects of the different ideologies in the war, after the war and what this impacted and caused (eg. The Berlin Wall being created which increased tension).
There’s more but our class havent got there yet and obviously it’s covered in much more detail.

Geography: (this is what my sister sent me)

I do AQA Geography and it's great! Your school will pick certain topics to cover, I believe you pick two human modules and one physical in addition to two courseworks. I really enjoy the course, in fact it's one of favourite lessons! I've done The Urban Environment which is all about the rural to urban change and its economic/social/environmental and political repercussions, Tourism which tends to be a lot of people's favourites and is all about how locally and globally we are affected by tourism and Natural Hazards which is about volcanoes and earthquakes etc. In addition, I did two courseworks, one based on a field trip.

Overall, I'd say Geography is great, the course is interesting and there's lots of variety. It also isn't too difficult, it's got a great mix of lots of subjects. Generally, it can give you a better perspective on the world, especially as you have to remember past case studies and it's always good to understand relevant geographical examples, forcing you to watch the news. I'd definitely recommend it, it's such an interesting and amazing subject!

hey just wanted to let you know u should chose which one you like more and if you love them both chose the one that you find easier
I started GCSEs in year 9 (picked in year 8) and I did both History and Geography. Personally, I liked History more
Hi! I’m y10 just starting history and my teacher has already said we have to write an essay every 5 lessons so! I mean I like history but they do take a while!!!! It depends if ur up for doing that. I dreaded geography and I know lots of people that dropped it because it’s dull. It’s up to you. Which do you enjoy?
History does take a lot of work but If you dedicate time to learn the course and are a good essay writer history is amazing. I’m in year 12 now and I got a 9 at gcse history, it takes a lot of tears and hard times but it pays off, don’t want to scare you it really is a amazing subject. Which exam board will you be doing and which topics? I’d love to help if you decide to choose history!

In terms of the content you have to learn, Geography has ALOT less to learn and also includes more diagrams so is more for visual learners imo
History on the other hand is more for the more informative people and has LOADS of content to learn so only choose this if you have a great memory and can analyse and interpret sources. Also, you have to be quite concise in history because you have to say alot about a certain topic without actually writing alot. Geography is more for people who cba to write a lot. Also, your chemistry gcse would help with your geography as there are alot of topics that they share e.g limestone, rock types etc
History for me, personally. It has a lot to learn but if you like it, chances are you will find it interesting and remember it better.

My friends say geography is harder
Reply 15
Original post by Bea.McHealy
History does take a lot of work but If you dedicate time to learn the course and are a good essay writer history is amazing. I’m in year 12 now and I got a 9 at gcse history, it takes a lot of tears and hard times but it pays off, don’t want to scare you it really is a amazing subject. Which exam board will you be doing and which topics? I’d love to help if you decide to choose history!

yes I would love to choose history. I have come to find out I prefer it more than geography! What do you learn in history and are there any tips and tricks?
yes I would love to choose history. I have come to find out I prefer it more than geography! What do you learn in history and are there any tips and tricks?

Well we did the American West, Anglo Saxons and Norman’s, Medicine through time and communist Russia. The russia and medicine topics were for sure the most interesting for me, and I do find that you excel in the ones you enjoy more. For sure practice questions and learning answer structures early for each question is essential as that’s what really helps in the exam and if you know how to answer it and write a good response lexically wise it’s just the context you need to grapple. For sure, mind maps of each booklet (we 6 booklets for each topic, I don’t know how other schools operate), plus time lines as it is history, visually seeing time is essential. And yes, practice is perfect, i guess there’s no tricks, and as cheesy as it sounds just hard work and dedication to the subject pays off, as it does get frustrating at times but it’s worth it.
Find out in detail what would be included in each gcse course, and what the exams would be like
I was more interested in geography but I picked history for GCSE as we got to go on lots more school trips and the teachers were better

for GCSE, I'd just do the one you think you'd have more fun doing as there's a good chance you won't do either for A level

Quick Reply

Latest