The Student Room Group

advice on a levels (y13 bio chem maths)

hi,
so I’m currently in y13 and really want to get AAA this year.

can anyone who has any good advice/tips/revision techniques/resources for either of the subjects please help :smile:

maths is my biggest worry, I got a B in my finals and got predicted an A (was not expecting as I was getting a Cs and Ds all year, I tried Tailored tutors but didn’t help much) I really need an A as I’m trying to get into med school. I also don’t enjoy maths most of the time which makes it worse :/ I bought the cgp maths workbook but haven’t used yet.

biology I enjoy but struggle on application and recall sometimes (the topics I don’t like I tend to forget annoyingly) I’ve tried notes but they don’t help so I’ve moved to flash cards which has helped better (same with chem)

chem is just there, it’s easy enough for me to understand ( so far!!) just tend to make silly mistakes in the Exam and lose my marks

if anyone who have finished a levels on these subjects can help me it would be much appreciated

Thank you :smile:
Reply 1
Sat those three A levels this year! For maths:
1. make a poster/cards on content/formulae that you’re expected to know.
2. Make sure you understand content taught every lesson and try to answer some qs after every lesson to consolidate
3. Review chapters weekly e.g. do 5 qs on chapter 1 5 for chapter 2 etc. just for ‘recall’ and practice
4. Past papers!! (Ik everyone says this) make sure u do these under timed conditions once u have reviewed all chapters and if necessary do them again and again so u can master them

Bio: summarise!!! Print off your spec and keep this at the front of your folder and use it as a checklist for revision.
If u want to make flash cards make sure the content is consice and has what the spec requires u to know ONLYY
Same rule applies to posters/mindmaps etc.
Do lots of practice qs for each topic once u have reviewed it and learnt ur cards then move onto past papers!
(Make sure u learn the maths skills too for marks)

Chem: same as bio
Understand content, make revision material using spec and then topic qs then past papers.

Hope it helps and dont feel obliged to do all of these things, they’re merely just based on experience.
Reply 2
ok thank you!! I’ll take that all on board. can I asked what you got and what board! hope I (uni life?) is going good for you
Reply 3
Original post by annoymous_
ok thank you!! I’ll take that all on board. can I asked what you got and what board! hope I (uni life?) is going good for you

Bio (B) and Chem (C) were OCR and Maths was Edexcel. (B)
Wasn't happy at all with these grades so opted for resits and a gap year! The exams were incredibly hard haha
Reply 4
Original post by Ariaa_01
Bio (B) and Chem (C) were OCR and Maths was Edexcel. (B)
Wasn't happy at all with these grades so opted for resits and a gap year! The exams were incredibly hard haha

that still is good well done, can I ask what you were predicted. I’m so scared for my alevles ughh
Reply 5
that still is good well done, can I ask what you were predicted. I’m so scared for my alevles ughh

predicted A* A A lmao and don't be just keep focused and sharpen your exam technique!
Also, be sure to check out examiner's reports - forgot this entirely! Good luck : )
Reply 6
predicted A* A A lmao and don't be just keep focused and sharpen your exam technique!
Also, be sure to check out examiner's reports - forgot this entirely! Good luck : )

thank you!! and will do
I need to start revising but I keep putting it off. already drowning in year 13 work
Sat those three A levels this year! For maths:
1. make a poster/cards on content/formulae that you’re expected to know.
2. Make sure you understand content taught every lesson and try to answer some qs after every lesson to consolidate
3. Review chapters weekly e.g. do 5 qs on chapter 1 5 for chapter 2 etc. just for ‘recall’ and practice
4. Past papers!! (Ik everyone says this) make sure u do these under timed conditions once u have reviewed all chapters and if necessary do them again and again so u can master them

Bio: summarise!!! Print off your spec and keep this at the front of your folder and use it as a checklist for revision.
If u want to make flash cards make sure the content is consice and has what the spec requires u to know ONLYY
Same rule applies to posters/mindmaps etc.
Do lots of practice qs for each topic once u have reviewed it and learnt ur cards then move onto past papers!
(Make sure u learn the maths skills too for marks)

Chem: same as bio
Understand content, make revision material using spec and then topic qs then past papers.

Hope it helps and dont feel obliged to do all of these things, they’re merely just based on experience.

Also just finished these 3 A levels! Agree with all this advice :smile: only thing I would add is watch videos! MaChemGuy was great for chem, and ExamSolutions was amazing for maths and Mr Pollock for Bio (even though he did videos for a different exam board they were super helpful)
Good Luck, everything will pay off in the end!
Reply 8
Original post by MollyTav15
Also just finished these 3 A levels! Agree with all this advice :smile: only thing I would add is watch videos! MaChemGuy was great for chem, and ExamSolutions was amazing for maths and Mr Pollock for Bio (even though he did videos for a different exam board they were super helpful)

Thank youu :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by MollyTav15

did u do ocr chem? if so, what did u get if u don't mind me asking?
did u do ocr chem? if so, what did u get if u don't mind me asking?

Yes I did OCR A Chemistry and I got an A* which I’m still a bit shocked about haha
Did those 3 subjects this year! I feel like ppl tend to skip the theory in maths and go straight to practicing. Practice is key but only after you’ve actually understood the maths content/ so I’d suggest making some good summary notes for maths and jot down methods which will help you to answer a number of question styles.

For bio and chem my main tip would be to print out the spec and base your revision notes around them. I personally annotated the spec but you could just write out the spec point on a flash card/ piece of paper and answer it there instead! For bio and Chem also pay close attention to wording on markschemes!
Original post by Meduser
Did those 3 subjects this year! I feel like ppl tend to skip the theory in maths and go straight to practicing. Practice is key but only after you’ve actually understood the maths content/ so I’d suggest making some good summary notes for maths and jot down methods which will help you to answer a number of question styles.

For bio and chem my main tip would be to print out the spec and base your revision notes around them. I personally annotated the spec but you could just write out the spec point on a flash card/ piece of paper and answer it there instead! For bio and Chem also pay close attention to wording on markschemes!

thank you! can I ask what you got and when you started revising
hi,
so I’m currently in y13 and really want to get AAA this year.

can anyone who has any good advice/tips/revision techniques/resources for either of the subjects please help :smile:

maths is my biggest worry, I got a B in my finals and got predicted an A (was not expecting as I was getting a Cs and Ds all year, I tried Tailored tutors but didn’t help much) I really need an A as I’m trying to get into med school. I also don’t enjoy maths most of the time which makes it worse :/ I bought the cgp maths workbook but haven’t used yet.

biology I enjoy but struggle on application and recall sometimes (the topics I don’t like I tend to forget annoyingly) I’ve tried notes but they don’t help so I’ve moved to flash cards which has helped better (same with chem)

chem is just there, it’s easy enough for me to understand ( so far!!) just tend to make silly mistakes in the Exam and lose my marks

if anyone who have finished a levels on these subjects can help me it would be much appreciated

Thank you :smile:

Hey! Mathematics is a tricky one (I'm in the same boat as you haha), but from my new found experience just practice, practice and practice! Do questions and this may sound like a weird one, but do your homework earlier than needed. Wish you the best of luck! I'm sure you'll smash it OP.
thank you! can I ask what you got and when you started revising

I got 3A*s. I revised throughout really! I finished all my notes 2 months prior to exams and used those 2 months to consolidate all my knowledge and to do loadssss of exam Qs.

I am actually on a gap year applying to med! So I understand the stress of trying to get into med school aha.

I actually have a study gram @studysciencewithmee on insta and I have made 2 very very detailed posts about how I got A*s in bio and Chem. once my BMAT is over I will make one for maths too! You can check them out if you want and message me anytime if you have any Qs :smile:)
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Meduser
I got 3A*s. I revised throughout really! I finished all my notes 2 months prior to exams and used those 2 months to consolidate all my knowledge and to do loadssss of exam Qs.

I am actually on a gap year applying to med! So I understand the stress of trying to get into med school aha.

I actually have a study gram @studysciencewithmee on insta and I have made 2 very very detailed posts about how I got A*s in bio and Chem. once my BMAT is over I will make one for maths too! You can check them out if you want and message me anytime if you have any Qs :smile:)

thank you that is so helpful, I’ll reinstall Instagram (I deleted it as it was a distraction) just for you :smile:
omg I feel like I’m going to end up taking a gap year for med this year (praying I get the grades) because I don’t think my application was strong enough but hopefully.

Could you let me know what you do in your gap I’m curious to know

also what resources do you use for Qs especially for maths cause I use PMT but I’ve done most of them already and other websites are usually old spec and not as useful

thank u for you reply :smile:
Original post by CameronWS
Hey! Mathematics is a tricky one (I'm in the same boat as you haha), but from my new found experience just practice, practice and practice! Do questions and this may sound like a weird one, but do your homework earlier than needed. Wish you the best of luck! I'm sure you'll smash it OP.

aww you too! wish you all the best this year it’s a whole lot so stressss year 13. can I ask what resources you use for questions cause I struggle to find decent questions for good practise, they’re usually too easy or too hard. Got maths As mocks coming up that I need to smash
aww you too! wish you all the best this year it’s a whole lot so stressss year 13. can I ask what resources you use for questions cause I struggle to find decent questions for good practise, they’re usually too easy or too hard. Got maths As mocks coming up that I need to smash

I use the OCR A level mathematics exam revision and practice book by GCP/CGP (I cant remember the way around it is), but I find that excellent to use.

Quick Reply

Latest