The Student Room Group

Biology, chemistry and psychology

Are these good a levels to take for medicine?
Anyone?
It was a minute, literally 1 minute, between your OP and your 'anyone' chivvying post. Have some patience!

The answer is Yes.
Original post by Reality Check
It was a minute, literally 1 minute, between your OP and your 'anyone' chivvying post. Have some patience!

The answer is Yes.

🤣 Thank you for your reply!
Original post by The-judge-16
Are these good a levels to take for medicine?

I'd recommend mathematics too if I'm honest. You'll find this useful: https://www.medschools.ac.uk/media/2357/msc-entry-requirements-for-uk-medical-schools.pdf
Original post by CameronWS
I'd recommend mathematics too if I'm honest. You'll find this useful: https://www.medschools.ac.uk/media/2357/msc-entry-requirements-for-uk-medical-schools.pdf

The OP doesn't need maths for Medicine, and certainly doesn't need to take 4 A levels rather than the three he has already proposed. No-where in the document you've provided (which is a useful source) does it suggest this.
The OP doesn't need maths for Medicine, and certainly doesn't need to take 4 A levels rather than the three he has already proposed. No-where in the document you've provided (which is a useful source) does it suggest this.

I mean majority of med schools like it. "You also need a minimum of three A levels at grades AAA or AAB in chemistry and either biology, physics or maths, plus another academic subject." OP doesn't need it, I didn't say he needed it. Maybe check this out instead OP: https://www.ucas.com/ucas/after-gcses/find-career-ideas/explore-jobs/job-profile/hospital-doctor (the "What do I need" section). OP, your A level choice is good, if you're competent at mathematics I would recommend taking it for an AS you can always drop it if the workload is too much or you don't enjoy it. Could strengthen you above other applicants though.
I mean majority of med schools like it. "

Where is the evidence for this? As an aspiring medic, you need to be able to reference things, rather than just make claims...
Where is the evidence for this? As an aspiring medic, you need to be able to reference things, rather than just make claims...

I'm not an aspiring medic, aspiring physics student though. All I did was suggest that OP could take mathematics too. Most universities will ask for Biology and either chemistry/physics/maths. Depending on what type of career after medicine OP wants to go in after said degree mathematics could be useful. I suggested it. Funnily enough I'm allowed to make a suggestion whether it be right or wrong.
I'm not an aspiring medic, aspiring physics student though. All I did was suggest that OP could take mathematics too. Most universities will ask for Biology and either chemistry/physics/maths. Depending on what type of career after medicine OP wants to go in after said degree mathematics could be useful. I suggested it. Funnily enough I'm allowed to make a suggestion whether it be right or wrong.

No. You said, and I quoted it, 'I mean majority of med schools like it' when referring to A level mathematics. This is not correct, there is no evidence for it and all I asked you to do was reference your source. Do you think that is unreasonable?

You're quite right - you are allowed to make suggestions, be they right or wrong. But if they're the latter, they're hardly useful to the OP, who is asking whether his A levels are appropriate for medicine - not for an as-yet undecided career thereafter. Again - do you think this is unreasonable?
No. You said, and I quoted it, 'I mean majority of med schools like it' when referring to A level mathematics. This is not correct, there is no evidence for it and all I asked you to do was reference your source. Do you think that is unreasonable?

You're quite right - you are allowed to make suggestions, be they right or wrong. But if they're the latter, they're hardly useful to the OP, who is asking whether his A levels are appropriate for medicine - not for an as-yet undecided career thereafter. Again - do you think this is unreasonable?

So I don't have a direct reference, no I do not. However, "You also need a minimum of three A levels at grades AAA or AAB in chemistry and either biology, physics or maths". The fact they mention or maths suggests to me that they also value it. Okay maybe I'll rephrase "majority of med schools like it" to medicine schools also accept mathematics so depending on OP's further career aspirations they could tailor to their desired career now.

One suggestion that wasn't useful, yet you seem to ignore that I said: "OP, your A level choice is good". Like I said my suggestion was for the OP. No I don't think you're being unreasonable about this. Yet I do think you're being unreasonably pedantic about the whole situation and I don't understand how it affects you so much.
Yet I do think you're being unreasonably pedantic about the whole situation and I don't understand how it affects you so much.

Thanks for clarifying :smile: I'm sorry you feel like that. It doesn't directly affect me. However, there is a huge amount of incorrect and misleading information on TSR regarding university entrance requirements, and I just think we should be really careful not to add to it. I'm sorry if my eagerness to ensure would-be applicants to university have access to correct, verifiable information comes across as 'pedantic', but I make no apologies for it. We might as well all pack up and go home, otherwise.
Thanks for clarifying :smile: I'm sorry you feel like that. It doesn't directly affect me. However, there is a huge amount of incorrect and misleading information on TSR regarding university entrance requirements, and I just think we should be really careful not to add to it. I'm sorry if my eagerness to ensure would-be applicants to university have access to correct, verifiable information comes across as 'pedantic', but I make no apologies for it. We might as well all pack up and go home, otherwise.

I don't think suggesting someone to do A level mathematics, is misleading information. I don't think there's a necessity to hound someone after they suggest something (that they thought may have helped or added to the discussion) that you don't think is right either. You don't need to apologise for your eagerness to help,others on TSR though, I wish every member was as helpful. I mean I might just drop this: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4909362 where you said "Maths is very useful for medicine, but not a requirement.". I too agree it's not a requirement and I never said it was, but it is "very useful".
I don't think suggesting someone to do A level mathematics, is misleading information. I don't think there's a necessity to hound someone after they suggest something (that they thought may have helped or added to the discussion) that you don't think is right either. You don't need to apologise for your eagerness to help,others on TSR though, I wish every member was as helpful. I mean I might just drop this: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4909362 where you said "Maths is very useful for medicine, but not a requirement.". I too agree it's not a requirement and I never said it was, but it is "very useful".

Indeed - but you can see the difference between saying '[a] majority of medical schools like [A Level Maths]' which you did originally, and 'maths is very useful', which are saying now. They are very different statements when considered from the point of view of someone making choices as to which A levels to take, and that's why I was being particular about the specific wording.

However, I think we are in agreement :smile: Thanks for your help with the OP's question too. No-one has a monopoly on advice, and you are as entitled to help and comment as I am. That's the good thing about an open forum.

Thank you for your kind words.
Indeed - but you can see the difference between saying '[a] majority of medical schools like [A Level Maths]' which you did originally, and 'maths is very useful', which are saying now. They are very different statements when considered from the point of view of someone making choices as to which A levels to take, and that's why I was being particular about the specific wording.

However, I think we are in agreement :smile: Thanks for your help with the OP's question too. No-one has a monopoly on advice, and you are as entitled to help and comment as I am. That's the good thing about an open forum.

Thank you for your kind words.

Yeah I do agree, with what you're saying. Was poor wording on my part, I apologise. This is someone's future of course.

I think so too, :smile:. No problem! You too. The more people that get involved the more decisive answer we get (in most cases).

No worries, have a good one.
Thank you for all the advice everyone!

Quick Reply

Latest