The Student Room Group

Mia's GYG- A-Level edition

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Mikos
Very nice! Do you get 1 week off for October or 2? Apparently it's only my county that gets 2 weeks, but I don't know if that's true haha :tongue:

We get one week (well 10 days)
Congratulations on the A in biology! I know you wanted an A*, but I think it's a really good grade! :woo:
We get a week off for half term! I’m going to do quite a bit of further maths revision as apparently we have a test on the second week back :eek:
Well done for the biology! :woo: :hugs:
Reply 23
Original post by QueenAelin
Congratulations on the A in biology! I know you wanted an A*, but I think it's a really good grade! :woo:

Original post by laurawatt
We get a week off for half term! I’m going to do quite a bit of further maths revision as apparently we have a test on the second week back :eek:
Well done for the biology! :woo: :hugs:

Thank you both! So kind :smile:
Reply 24
Well, it looks like I got so caught up in holiday revision that I forgot to write down what I did! I have been working, revising mainly biology and history, however, I haven't really written what I've been doing specifically. I'll try and write it in the corner of my notebook next time. Sorry :frown:
Here's what I did yesterday, in any case:
DAY 4: 29/10/19
What I did today:
Biology- 3 hours. I made quality notes on the first half of the biological molecules topic. The notes themselves are cross referenced from multiple resources and are therefore highly extensive, but I've tried to make them as concise as possible at the same time.
What I used:
Biology- CGP revision guide, physics and maths tutor notes, topic notes from the student room, textbook my school gave me
Current aims:

Finish biomol notes: in progress!

So, a pretty relaxed day! Not much in terms of workload, but I feel like the quality of revision I did yesterday was great (and very needed! You never realise how much of an earlier topic you forget until you revisit it), so that's always a plus.

Tags:

Spoiler

It's really weird to be creating my final notes for my exams. It's like I'm no longer revising just as a form of maintenance or for topic tests. It feels a lot more like I'm reaching the push for proper preparation for my exams. Granted, exams are quite a few months away (7-8 months) but I know the months are going to creep in on me fast. The pressure is of course high, but I know that if my revision remains valuable and if I keep at it how I am (3-6 hours per day), then I should be alright.

I love interacting with you guys, so I wanted to try out a "Question of the Day" type thing I've seen in other threads and on Instagram in like 2013 haha. Let me know what you think.
QOTD:
What subjects do you guys do? I know what a few of you guys are doing, but not all. Whether GCSEs, A-levels or anything else, I think it'll be interesting to know what's on your guys' plates :smile:

As always, thank you all for the continued support.
That's all from me for now!
totally agree that you don't realise how much you've forgotten until you revise it...i was feeling so sure i could remember everything from year 12 maths but i've started doing questions from last year and i'm already stumped:laugh:
i'm doing maths, further maths and physics (though i think you already know that:wink:)
:hugs: have a good week:tongue:
Don’t worry about not having written down what you did over the hols, it still sounds wayyyy more productive than mine:lol:
Well done for your final notes!
I do maths, further maths and geography :smile:
Reply 27
Original post by Toastiekid
totally agree that you don't realise how much you've forgotten until you revise it...i was feeling so sure i could remember everything from year 12 maths but i've started doing questions from last year and i'm already stumped:laugh:
i'm doing maths, further maths and physics (though i think you already know that:wink:)
:hugs: have a good week:tongue:

Thank you! You too :smile:
And 100% agreed. I thought to myself something along the lines of "biological molecules is easy", but when it came to making my notes I found myself relearning a significant chunk of the content. Just goes to show how easy it is to become complacent.
And yes, I do recall you telling me about it! I must say, that is a lot of maths haha...

Original post by laurawatt
Don’t worry about not having written down what you did over the hols, it still sounds wayyyy more productive than mine:lol:
Well done for your final notes!
I do maths, further maths and geography :smile:

Thank you!
And what an interesting mix! Do you enjoy them?
Reply 28
Another pretty laid back day revision wise for yesterday! Still doing lots of work on those bio notes and making sure they're perfect! I might have them done either by the end of today or tomorrow.
DAY 5: 30/10/19
What I did today:
Biology- 2.5 hours. I'm definitely on the downward slate to finishing the first topic notes (by which point I will be 1/8 through my notes!).
History/English: about 30 mins. I just did some maintenance for my coursework, although nothing major to speak about. Proofreading etc.
What I used:
CGP textbook, PMT notes, notes from TSR, school-issued textbook
Current aims:

Finish biomol notes: in progress

Finish all biology notes: if I'm being ambitious, perhaps I'll be able to finish my notes by the end of next month, perhaps later. Of course, it's not a huge deal if I can't get it done by then.

History controlled assessment: so right now I'm actually ahead of where I need to be in terms of this, so that's good. At the minute, I need to get my historical sources and interpretations approved by my head of department, and then it's a matter of starting to get it written up (scary! :redface:). However, I'm in no rush at all, and I know that I'm exactly where I want to be for this. However, when I get back from half term, if my stuff is approved, then I'm going to have to start thinking of doing my write up. I'm going for full marks in this assessment, so let's see how I do!

So, I'm in a good space, academically speaking. However, if I want those A*s, I'm going to have to keep doing more and maintaining a good workrate. It's definitely a lot of pressure, to be honest, especially considering that because I'm applying with my actual results in hand, more emphasis will be placed on my grades than there would be had they been predictions. However, I know that if I get at least A*AA, then I am free to apply anywhere I like :smile:

QOTD:
What are you thinking of applying for at uni, and which unis are you thinking of? As with the previous question, I already know what this is for a few of you. However, feel free to elaborate and if I don't know what you're thinking of, do tell me! I'm very interested to hear about it.
Tags:

Spoiler

Have a good day, guys!
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Mikos
Thank you!
And what an interesting mix! Do you enjoy them?

I love them :thumbsup:
I’m hoping to do maths at uni :smile:
Well done again for your biology :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending