The Student Room Group

British family 'traumatized' after being caught sneaking across US-Canada border

I'm not usually one to side with the Americans on such things but what did this group of dumb dumbs think was going to happen?

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-50067575

Scroll to see replies

Well, it is expected.
I'd find it difficult to sympathise with someone who even claims to have done it accidentally. Before you go somewhere do a little bit of research, it's not that hard.
“accidentally” lmao
The real question is what on earth were they thinking going from Canada to America?! Seriously why wouldn’t you want to stay in Canada?!
Reply 4
Original post by Napp
I'm not usually one to side with the Americans on such things but what did this group of dumb dumbs think was going to happen?

This other BBC link gives us a bit of a clue about their motivations and why the BBC are so keen on this 'story':

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-50050467

They say they've been 'stripped of their rights' by being detained, the moment they start talking such **** we know what we have in hands. As ever, the most basic info is deliberately left out in order to create a fake platform for the Guardianistas at the BBC to go on and do their ideological bidding. According to them, one moment you're driving soutrh of Vancouver, then there's a dead animal on the road and next thing you know you've crossed the border with the US totally unaware. That's the narrative, right?

The worst thing is probably the way lefties insult the rest of the population's intelligence, their propaganda works fine for their own but the BBC really need to give it a rest before they completely lose what's left of their credibility. Actually, there's none of it left in my eyes. They're just a political broadcaster these days, joined at the hip with the Guardian and the American leftist media because they are all the same and one type of people. Please refer to the political broadcast in the link for verification, leftist *******s from start to end.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 5
A young French woman who went for an evening jog along a Canadian beach spent two weeks in US immigration detention after straying across the border.

Cedella Roman, 19, who was visiting her mother in British Columbia, decided to run along the beach that leads to Canada's border with the United States on 21 May.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-44588643

Cash reward for anyone reported by the BBC as being detained from crossing from the US into Canada, surely these accidental crossings happen both ways.
Reply 6
Original post by z-hog
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-44588643

Cash reward for anyone reported by the BBC as being detained from crossing from the US into Canada, surely these accidental crossings happen both ways.

They do happen both ways - parts of the border between the US and Canada isn't even a fence, it's just open country.

The only difference is Canada isn't paranoid so they don't detain anyone for it.
There seems to be a bit of background to this story, as it's being reported on US sites that they had previously failed to get a family member a US visa and also they had a large amount of cash on them, $15,000, when stopped.

What this story really highlights is how badly the US treats illegal immigrants generally, as in fact does the UK.
Reply 8
Original post by Fullofsurprises
There seems to be a bit of background to this story, as it's being reported on US sites that they had previously failed to get a family member a US visa and also they had a large amount of cash on them, $15,000, when stopped.

What this story really highlights is how badly the US treats illegal immigrants generally, as in fact does the UK.

See, I didn't have to go look for any of that to conclude the BBC are manipulating the true story. It's on a daily basis, the insert a quick line just to establish a link to the real world but immediately veer off in pursuit of an alternative narrative. It's crude and blatant, they don't care either.
Reply 9
Original post by Drewski
The only difference is Canada isn't paranoid so they don't detain anyone for it.

Oh, detaining illegal immigrants is now paranoid. When did you become a Guardianista, I missed that.
Original post by z-hog
Oh, detaining illegal immigrants is now paranoid. When did you become a Guardianista, I missed that.

Investigating people who come over in suspicious circumstances (as per this article): fine.

The runner who accidentally ran to the wrong side of an unmarked beach and was detained for 2 weeks? Paranoid.

See the difference?

I'm all for investigations and keeping borders secure. But I'm also for common sense and nuance. US border patrol lacks this second bit.

As do you.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by z-hog
See, I didn't have to go look for any of that to conclude the BBC are manipulating the true story. It's on a daily basis, the insert a quick line just to establish a link to the real world but immediately veer off in pursuit of an alternative narrative. It's crude and blatant, they don't care either.

But the BBC is reporting an update to the story. Do media outlets never publish an initial report and change it as more info becomes available?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-50067575
Reply 12
Original post by Drewski
Investigating people who come over in suspicious circumstances (as per this article): fine.

The runner who accidentally ran to the ring wrong side of an unmarked beach and was detained for 2 weeks? Paranoid.

See the difference?

I don't see much of a difference, in both cases we have people crossing th border illegally and being detained and investigated for it and I'm not going to lecture the US Border Patrol on what they should or shouldn't do. You're taking the BBC's word for the runner's intentions, we don't know them.

Would you at least agree on the charges of manipulation in the article, by leaving out the details added by FoF and anything about the reasons why those people were driving along the border? That the apparent intention is simply to score another hit on people's conscience on how wicked the US and everybody opposed to the Open Borders religion is? Be it on the border with Canada or the one down south? They could have been trying to sneak into the US illegally, for all we know and despite the BBC's suggestion that they weren't.
Original post by z-hog
I don't see much of a difference, in both cases we have people crossing th border illegally and being detained and investigated for it and I'm not going to lecture the US Border Patrol on what they should or shouldn't do. You're taking the BBC's word for the runner's intentions, we don't know them.

Would you at least agree on the charges of manipulation in the article, by leaving out the details added by FoF and anything about the reasons why those people were driving along the border? That the apparent intention is simply to score another hit on people's conscience on how wicked the US and everybody opposed to the Open Borders religion is? Be it on the border with Canada or the one down south? They could have been trying to sneak into the US illegally, for all we know and despite the BBC's suggestion that they weren't.

You see such manipulation because you want to, not because it's inherently there.
Reply 14
Original post by Surnia
But the BBC is reporting an update to the story. Do media outlets never publish an initial report and change it as more info becomes available?

Oh, so they were trying to cross the border illegally and there was nothing untoward by the gringos? No story, case closed. Why are we even talking about this, it's a mundane occurrence of no interest whatsoever to the wider world. What are we supposed to learn from these non-stories?
Original post by z-hog
Oh, so they were trying to cross the border illegally and there was nothing untoward by the gringos? No story, case closed. Why are we even talking about this, it's a mundane occurrence of no interest whatsoever to the wider world. What are we supposed to learn from these non-stories?

It isn't a non-story and the media have a responsibility to delve into things like this and see what is going on - often not very good things.
Reply 16
"We have been treated like criminals here"

No ****, lads. It's almost like you committed a crime, eh?

More seriously, it's clearly a ****-and-bull story being spun. But even if what they say did happen, the US authorities would be perfectly within their rights to detain and deport them.
Original post by Drewski

The runner who accidentally ran to the wrong side of an unmarked beach and was detained for 2 weeks? Paranoid.

See the difference?

I'm all for investigations and keeping borders secure. But I'm also for common sense and nuance. US border patrol lacks this second bit.

As do you.

I am actually familiar with this border and I can see why the American authorities were very sceptical about the runner’s claims.

At the border, there is (moving from west to east) the beach, the north-south railway, the Peace Arch Park and then the Peace Arch border crossing point.

The Peace Arch Park straddles the border and you can enter from both sides without formalities but must obviously go back out the side you enter.

You cannot simply start running south on White Rock beach and keep going until you reach the border. Between White Rock town and the border is an Indian reservation (or First Nation as the Canadians call them) where a river flows to the sea. The railway crosses that river on a low bridge but obviously the beach stops at the riverside and starts again on the other side of the river.

Accordingly for her to have got on to the beach south of that river but north of the border she would have had to run along Beach Road which is a Canadian road that runs off the main highway to the border, then runs along the north side of the Peace Arch Park and then turns north on the landward side of the railway to the Indian reservation. She would at some point have had to cross the railway tracks from that road to get to the beach.

In other words you can’t end up at the beach border by running south. You can only reach the beach by going to a highway close to the border, full of border infrastructure, then by travelling along a road northbound away from the border, crossing an active railway line and then running south along the beach.
Reply 18
Original post by nulli tertius
In other words you can’t end up at the beach border by running south. You can only reach the beach by going to a highway close to the border, full of border infrastructure, then by travelling along a road northbound away from the border, crossing an active railway line and then running south along the beach.

Funnily enough, your post was more informative than the BBC piece and that is not by coincidence. Reading them, it was the most natural thing to happen to an innocent jogger and the case is not even open for discussion: she never meant to cross the border and the US are way over the top with detaining people who do it illegally. They may have C&Ped that straight from the Guardian but the willingness to mislead and manipulate people is the same. Thanks for your contribution, anything that helps dispel their toxic propaganda is welcome.
Reply 19
As for the time taken to return the jogger, and after looking up some real info on this, it took that long because Canada won't just take people back in like that, the woman's mother had to produce documents showing she was even legally in Canada to begin with.

Dans un communiqué envoyé à Radio-Canada après publication, les Services de l'immigration et des douanes des États-Unis (ICE) ont confirmé que Mme Roman a été détenue le 21 mai.

Ils déclarent que le cas de la Française a été traité en tant que « renvoi accéléré » et qu’ils ont reçu ses documents le 24 mai. L’Agence des services frontaliers du Canada leur aurait confirmé le 29 mai qu'elle serait prête à déterminer l’admissibilité de Cedella Roman à rentrer au Canada si elle était transférée au point d’entrée près de Blaine.

Basically, the BBC always report these things with a slant because they are that type of people. Borders, yuk.

Quick Reply

Latest