The Student Room Group

Starting placement

Is it normal to feel scared for the first time at placement when you are 17 years for health and social care? What kind of things will you do in your placement in a care home for health and social care? Thanks
Original post by Damdam2002
Is it normal to feel scared for the first time at placement when you are 17 years for health and social care? What kind of things will you do in your placement in a care home for health and social care? Thanks

Yes, nerves at new things are normal.

Your 17, they wont put you in any position to make serious decisions as that would be reckless, you will most likely do admin tasks and act as a helper/shadow other workers until you get things figured out.
Reply 2
Original post by mnot
Yes, nerves at new things are normal.

Your 17, they wont put you in any position to make serious decisions as that would be reckless, you will most likely do admin tasks and act as a helper/shadow other workers until you get things figured out.

Thanks...
Reply 3

Hi!

I am a Level 3 Extended Diploma in health and social care student and I am currently undergoing my second year. My first placement was in a care setting and I was a helping hand with the activities team. Its really fun, hands on and there you have no major responsibilities as you are not allowed to do personal care. Hope this helps
Reply 4
Original post by rose2247
Hi!

I am a Level 3 Extended Diploma in health and social care student and I am currently undergoing my second year. My first placement was in a care setting and I was a helping hand with the activities team. Its really fun, hands on and there you have no major responsibilities as you are not allowed to do personal care. Hope this helps

Wow thanks, I'm in the 1st year of RQF health and social care extended diploma level 3 (2016), soon we will be starting going to placement.... that really helped that thanks.... did u had to wear flat shoes?? Could you please give me suggestions of what kind of clothes I should wear? Would wearing 3/4 skirt be okay, do you think? Were you scared at first or not??
Have a great day
Reply 5
Wow thanks, I'm in the 1st year of RQF health and social care extended diploma level 3 (2016), soon we will be starting going to placement.... that really helped that thanks.... did u had to wear flat shoes?? Could you please give me suggestions of what kind of clothes I should wear? Would wearing 3/4 skirt be okay, do you think? Were you scared at first or not??
Have a great day

On my first day I wore interview attire so blsck trouser blouse blazer as I was shown around the placement and had to fill out forms, also flat shoes. In an environment like that I defo think trousers would be more appropriate, you could ask them on the day if you are getting a uniform and if not ask what clothes they’d prefer you to wear if you’re unsure!
Reply 6
Original post by rose2247
On my first day I wore interview attire so blsck trouser blouse blazer as I was shown around the placement and had to fill out forms, also flat shoes. In an environment like that I defo think trousers would be more appropriate, you could ask them on the day if you are getting a uniform and if not ask what clothes they’d prefer you to wear if you’re unsure!

For us, we only have the college polo.. and we are advanced to wear practical clothes and flat shoes as u mentioned... thanks....
Reply 7
A placement is a learning experience. It’s about learning by watching (and listening) someone else do something. Don’t be afraid to ask questions, or shows that you’re keen to learn but pick your moment. Don’t bombard someone with questions whilst they’re trying to perform a work task especially if it’s complicated or difficult. It’s also nice to ask the service user if they’re OK with you observing . This shows respect for the dignity of the service user, and shows your supervisor that you understand an important principle of Health and Social Care. Enjoy .

Quick Reply

Latest