The Student Room Group

Sick During PhD

I started my PhD three weeks ago and unfortunately have got ill and needed to take 4 days off to recover.

My supervisor was with me when I began to feel unwell and feel faint.
I forced myself to go to uni the next day and fellow phd students and my second supervisor told me to go to the doctors and take the rest of the week off as I looked unwell. I voiced my concerns that I was aware it was early days and looked bad that I am ill - my second supervisor reassured me and told me not to worry at all and that my health comes first and its not bad to be ill at this time because I have not fully started any laboratory work, so im not missing anything other than reading papers. I went to the doctors and he confirmed I am ill and need rest and plenty of fluids.

My parents have got me really concerned, despite my supervisor giving me reassurance. They are worried I could now be kicked off the PhD and left with rent to pay for the rest of the year.

I understand regular illness would be unsatisfactory but if this is my only illness in my first year say, surely they cant kick me off for 4 days?

Other PhD students say they have been ill and you cant help it, it is nothing to worry about.

I feel my parents are thinking of it as employment and I am in the three month probationary period. I thought they could only remove you from your phd at your annual review if you had not made satisfactory progress in your research.

Any advice or input would be greatly appreciated.
It’s a complete non-issue. It’s a PhD. Missing a week is nothing and has no impact on anything.
Reply 2
Original post by threeportdrift
It’s a complete non-issue. It’s a PhD. Missing a week is nothing and has no impact on anything.

Thank you. I have been so concerned despite being genuinely ill and my supervisors seeing me unwell. I was unsure if they could decide to remove me from it.
Yeah, it's a PhD, they'll be supportive if you're sick and the only way you're getting kicked out is if you fail a review or do something pretty horrendous.

Even if you were employed (at a remotely respectable company), it's very unlikely that they would sack you for being sick for 4 days in the probationary period, worst case scenario they might extend it.
Reply 4
They won't be bothered

They are barely bothered when faculty staff go off sick
Reply 5
Original post by oswosw
I started my PhD three weeks ago and unfortunately have got ill and needed to take 4 days off to recover.

I forced myself to go to uni the next day and fellow phd students and my second supervisor told me to go to the doctors and take the rest of the week off as I looked unwell. I voiced my concerns that I was aware it was early days and looked bad that I am ill - my second supervisor reassured me and told me not to worry at all and that my health comes first and its not bad to be ill at this time because I have not fully started any laboratory work, so im not missing anything other than reading papers. I went to the doctors and he confirmed I am ill and need rest and plenty of fluids.

My parents have got me really concerned, despite my supervisor giving me reassurance. They are worried I could now be kicked off the PhD and left with rent to pay for the rest of the year.

I understand regular illness would be unsatisfactory but if this is my only illness in my first year say, surely they cant kick me off for 4 days?

Other PhD students say they have been ill and you cant help it, it is nothing to worry about.

I feel my parents are thinking of it as employment and I am in the three month probationary period. I thought they could only remove you from your phd at your annual review if you had not made satisfactory progress in your research.

Relax and rest and look after yourself.This is absolutely not something you need to worry over.Plus they will not want to catch it!
No you will not be kicked off your PHD so tell mum and dad to politely lay off.This is all new territory for you but rest assured all the above know what they are talking about..Get well soon!
Original post by oswosw

Good lord - four days. I thought you were going to say four months or something.

Maybe it would help if you talked to your parents about how your doctorate works this might help with misunderstandings and unnecessary concerns.
Opening post, do you have anxiety?

What everyone else says is correct about the PhD, although from the jobs point of view it would be very typical for someone to be removed from a job in a probationary period for anything but 100% attendance, so I can see where you're coming from if non-anxiety and parents saying things.
Original post by oswosw

Parents freaking you out and they dont know what they are talking about. Always have evidence in such situations i.e you did the right thing tell supervisor and get doctors note or at least get on record. Rest as they all say phd small beer and nothing to worry about.
Reply 9
Thank you all. I think its the challenge of explaining what a doctorate is and what it entails - I am a first gen student so my parents are pretty oblivious. My supervisor was supportive so I'll focus on that.
Original post by oswosw
Thank you all. I think its the challenge of explaining what a doctorate is and what it entails - I am a first gen student so my parents are pretty oblivious. My supervisor was supportive so I'll focus on that.

It's difficult. A lot of my relatives think it's just being at school, even though some of my younger cousins have now gone to university. My friend who did a PhD said the same thing and after he got it his father said well done son, here's a tenner to go to the pub.
Reply 11
Original post by marinade
It's difficult. A lot of my relatives think it's just being at school, even though some of my younger cousins have now gone to university. My friend who did a PhD said the same thing and after he got it his father said well done son, here's a tenner to go to the pub.

My heart actually breaks for your friend!! It was bad enough to try and explain that being on minimum wage for the next years was worth it. They saw it as, you have a degree and masters and you are getting paid what? They don realise its an actual qualification.
Original post by oswosw
My heart actually breaks for your friend!! It was bad enough to try and explain that being on minimum wage for the next years was worth it. They saw it as, you have a degree and masters and you are getting paid what? They don realise its an actual qualification.

However you are now an adult and have made this decision that this is the path you want to take and I am assuming are not financially relying on your parents so what is the issue really?
Your parents sound supportive and just are concerned. I would just continue to explain it to them. It is like an poorly paid apprenticeship. My son is doing a Phd and I am only just getting my head round it. Get them to watch The Theory of Everything it might help!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending