The Student Room Group

Grooty Lays down the Law (Law GYG)

ppppp.jpg

:hi:

Hey guys its me again Grooty (the annoying one) :colone: yes with another GYG, seeing as my previous one was good and the people of TSR demanded another, here you guys go, hope you like it :tongue:. As some of you are aware Groot has officially made it to uni :eek3:

Can you believe it? I still cant :lol: Studying LawYeah I dont know why :rofl: To be honest I' excited I guess because I have no idea what to expect :tongue: Lets see how this first year of law goes then!

First of all a huge shout to @nyxnko_ for the thread title :wink: absolute genius!

Now I know that this was meant to be up a while ago however I was extremely busy with uni things and settling in ect, I will do a break down on what I got up to in the first three weeks :eek: (I know its gone by so fast but for someone of us not fast enough :rofl: ) Course over view (the boring stuff you can ignore) :

So for first year law there are 5 modules that we study, 4 of which we have begun already.

Law of Property Relations:

Spoiler

Criminal Law:

Spoiler

Tort Law:

Spoiler

The Modern English Legal system:

Spoiler

Introduction to Legal Theory:

Spoiler

(edited 4 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Week 1:

Welcome week was interesting there were loads of events set up to give us an understanding of Law at Warwick and the opportunities available to us which was in essence helpful. However it was very difficult to speak to people as it was so crowded the rooms were fairly small meaning I tended not to stay around for long instead I grabbed the leaflets (i.e the key info really) and headed out. The lectures were fairly boring and a lot of people agreed. They were basic introductions, pretty useless, I guess we just wanted to get on with it instead of getting up early for nothing ouch I know :colondollar:

Week 2:

Finally we get into studying! Yeah at this point I was bored and wanted to learn something. Maybe I was too eager :rofl: Had our first seminars which were essentially icebreaker seminars to get used to the group and stuff which was okay okay Im slightly tired of the same questions they keep asking us within them tell us something about you? Why did you choose Law? I dont know okay :hmpf: :banghead: leave me alone :rofl: .We then had our MELS lecture, turns out we wont have any lectures for the module instead well do the learning in seminars so we have 2 yay :confused: and because of this the classes are a lot bigger 20+ people. We are split into pods groups to work with which is okay I guess :dontknow: . I metup with my personal tutor who is actually really sweet and helpful, she literally said she would be nagging me to get my deadlines sorted.I think I need that really, so Im happy with that :lol: . I also had my law library intro which was fairly simple :yes: at least I now know how to use the library sit effectively! Had a few more lectures and seminars, they were okay and interesting. Although panic has kicked in as we have been set a formative assessment for Tort law which is due week 5 and I have no clue as to how to write it :o someone save me, its difficult as we dont exactly know what they expect. I also have to arrange a court visit with my pod before week 5 and write up a review and a judgment :afraid: I think I shouldnt have complained earlier :rofl: My friday Tort law lecture was the best lecture I have had so far! I kid you not our lecturer was literally throwing bananas around the room :lol: in demonstrating an act of negligence, he did a little enactment where he got everyone involved and laughing away gosh he was great... need more lecturers like that!

Week 3:

I have finally got my tort law and criminal law text books :woo: they are huge :eek3: ! The reading this week has been crazy, literally if you have spoken to me about uni you will know all I have said is reading :blah: . I have had a lot, my first case reading for MELS was astonishingly boring :yawn: the benefit cap, criminal was interesting the case we look at was weird I guess thats why I engaged more with it :lol: and property was good, good old John Locke- genuinely get happy when I see something philosophy related :tongue: . In seminars we discussed what we read and try to understand what the cases were about and their implications. I like my criminal law seminar teacher because Im generally quite and wont contribute greatlybut she makes me and I guess thats making me more confident to continue to speak and share my ideas instead of shying away.

Non- academic:

Joined some societies made quite a lot of new friends so thats been great. Done a lot of trying new things out to get out of my comfort zone and that. So things have been good i generally never know what to say in these things so apologies again for the rumble!

Things to do then this week:

-Sort court visit out

-Do the follow up work

-Sort notes out (rn these are a mess)

-Plan/draft tort law assessment

-Do seminar readings and tasks

I haven't tagged anyone for this first update as it is quite dry and boring... and I may have forgot who wanted to be tagged, don't want to tag anyone who doesn't want to hear my ramble :colondollar: If you would like to be apart of the amazing Guardians i.e be tagged let me know :h:

I will try and make it more interesting, not to bore you or put you to sleep!

Thanks for reading
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 2
Good luck!! :rave: I don't even remember coming up with the thread title for this :lol:
Tag meeee!!
I didn't know you were studying law! :eek:
Can I be tagged please? I'd love to see how you get on!
Original post by MidgetFever
I didn't know you were studying law! :eek:
Can I be tagged please? I'd love to see how you get on!

:lol:
Of course :h:
Original post by nyxnko_
Good luck!! :rave: I don't even remember coming up with the thread title for this :lol:
Tag meeee!!

Thanks Kei :h: you came up with it a while back :rofl:
Will do :hugs:
Reply 5
Original post by I AM GROOT 1
Thanks Kei :h: you came up with it a while back :rofl:
Will do :hugs:

I must have because it sounds kinda familiar :giggle:
:woo:
Heyo Grooty,
You probably don't know me but oh well. Could I have a tag pleaseeeee? I'd love to discover more about law in Uni. :cool:
Original post by Shining Stars
Heyo Grooty,
You probably don't know me but oh well. Could I have a tag pleaseeeee? I'd love to discover more about law in Uni. :cool:

:hi: hey

Yes ofc you can :hugs:
Original post by nyxnko_
I must have because it sounds kinda familiar :giggle:

:tongue: see its coming back to you!

:dance:
This is like the most exciting thing to happen in 2019.
Please tag me! xx
Reply 9
Original post by I AM GROOT 1
:tongue: see its coming back to you!

I guess it is :lol:

:dancing:
Original post by nyxnko_
I guess it is :lol:

:dancing:

:biggrin:

Original post by Sinful Delight
This is like the most exciting thing to happen in 2019.
Please tag me! xx

awww your too bloody sweet :heart:
Will do hun :hugs:
Forgot my song of the week :tongue:
this is so exciting:gah:
i've started watching how to get away with murder so i'm looking forward to reading this:woo:
Original post by Toastiekid
this is so exciting:gah:
i've started watching how to get away with murder so i'm looking forward to reading this:woo:

:laugh:

Would you liked to be tagged :tongue: ?
woohoo! tag me queen! your study blogs are always so bright and they excite me :tongue:

what kind of law do you plan to do after you graduate?
Original post by IH8Studying
woohoo! tag me queen! your study blogs are always so bright and they excite me :tongue:

what kind of law do you plan to do after you graduate?

Thanks hun will do :tongue: i think i was a little OT with the colours :rofl:

Not too sure yet perhaps corporate/commercial :dontknow:
Reply 16
how is throwing bananas around the room an act of negligence and not criminal assault??

what's the question for your tort essay?

top tip for winning legal theory: no duty to obey law. :yy:
Original post by Joleee
how is throwing bananas around the room an act of negligence and not criminal assault??

what's the question for your tort essay?

top tip for winning legal theory: no duty to obey law. :yy:

:laugh: well for his enactment he simply used the peel on the banana in demonstrating how his act of negligence impacted a chain of people and tried to distinguish who was liable exactly. The banana throwing came after when he decided to hand out the spare bananas he had to the students :rofl: I probably should have explained it clearer.

The assessment question:

Spoiler

:biggrin: thanks :tongue:
Will do :h: so do I call you J Papi or Johan now :lol:

Couldn't have done it without your help! Thanks again :smile:
So no preference? :tongue:

:nah: well deserved credit I honestly would have been so lost if it weren't for the law gang.... who are dearly missed :rip:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending