The Student Room Group

Grooty Lays down the Law (Law GYG)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Grooty this is great and exciting and all but bright pastel font colours on a white background burn my eyeballs a bit :redface:
But do tag me in updates ples
Original post by Sinnoh
Grooty this is great and exciting and all but bright pastel font colours on a white background burn my eyeballs a bit :redface:
But do tag me in updates ples

Yeah i know apologies for that :redface: I got a little carried away :rofl:

I will do :h:
Original post by I AM GROOT 1
ppppp.jpg

:hi:

Hey guys its me again Grooty (the annoying one) :colone: yes with another GYG, seeing as my previous one was good and the people of TSR demanded another, here you guys go, hope you like it :tongue:. As some of you are aware Groot has officially made it to uni :eek3:

Can you believe it? I still cant :lol: Studying LawYeah I dont know why :rofl: To be honest I' excited I guess because I have no idea what to expect :tongue: Lets see how this first year of law goes then!

First of all a huge shout to @nyxnko_ for the thread title :wink: absolute genius!

Now I know that this was meant to be up a while ago however I was extremely busy with uni things and settling in ect, I will do a break down on what I got up to in the first three weeks :eek: (I know its gone by so fast but for someone of us not fast enough :rofl: ) Course over view (the boring stuff you can ignore) :

So for first year law there are 5 modules that we study, 4 of which we have begun already.

Law of Property Relations:

Spoiler

Criminal Law:

Spoiler

Tort Law:

Spoiler

The Modern English Legal system:

Spoiler

Introduction to Legal Theory:

Spoiler

Are we supposed to be able to read this? 😂 It's literally just hex codes on my phone screen 🙈
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 23
:laugh: well for his enactment he simply used the peel on the banana in demonstrating how his act of negligence impacted a chain of people and tried to distinguish who was liable exactly. The banana throwing came after when he decided to hand out the spare bananas he had to the students :rofl: I probably should have explained it clearer.

The assessment question:

Spoiler

:biggrin: thanks :tongue:

christ. i'm surprised negligence is your first essay. it's a huge area! (and one i didn't like very much.)

just make sure you argue and not just describe the law. make sure you answer all parts of the question. use primary sources and not Wikipedia. don't worry too much if you don't get 100% on your first formative. i think the average mark for our first one was 58%. it's a learning curve. :tongue:
Original post by lia_r18
Are we supposed to be able to read this? 😂 It's literally just hex codes on my phone screen 🙈

It shouldn't be :s-smilie: sorry about that seems to be working for others
Original post by Joleee
christ. i'm surprised negligence is your first essay. it's a huge area! (and one i didn't like very much.)

just make sure you argue and not just describe the law. make sure you answer all parts of the question. use primary sources and not Wikipedia. don't worry too much if you don't get 100% on your first formative. i think the average mark for our first one was 58%. it's a learning curve. :tongue:

Tell me about it :redface:

Oh okay. Thanks so much for the advise :adore: really needed it! I guess thats true :yes: takes time to perfect these things
Omd, how did I miss this :woo:
Original post by Obolinda
Omd, how did I miss this :woo:

HOW COULD YOU OBLINDA?? :angry:

jk jk jk :laugh: because its not important :yes:

:hugs:
:woo:
:laugh:

Would you liked to be tagged :tongue: ?

i'm trying to avoid tags as all the notifications can get really overwhelming but i will be following along:yep:
Original post by Toastiekid
i'm trying to avoid tags as all the notifications can get really overwhelming but i will be following along:yep:

No worries hence why i asked before :tongue:
:jumphug:
It shouldn't be :s-smilie: sorry about that seems to be working for others

I can see it on my laptop, so it might just be an issue with the mobile app :s-smilie:
Original post by lia_r18
I can see it on my laptop, so it might just be an issue with the mobile app :s-smilie:

Yeah I'm guessing it's just the app
tag me please :grin:
Attachment not found

:wavey: Hey guys welcome to my second update (weeks 3-5) I've decided to updates roughly every 2 weeks, depending on how busy I am with my work :smile:

Week 4:

First of all my books arrived :woo:

Spoiler

Now the boring stuff ...

MELS:

So we had to watch I, Daniel Blake and then discussed the issues of the benefit cap further looking more closer, looking at the context of the law. The movie was very touching however if I'm honest MELS is a load of bs we have no lectures all the supposed 'learning' is done in the seminars ... but I haven't learnt anything :yawn: there is no guidance or anything which is slightly annoying. Anyway we then looked at sources on the benefit cap (yep so much fun :rolleyes:). The second seminar was revolved around statutory interpretation. so we read statues and then looked at different scenarios and looked at whether there was an offence committed (Knives Act 1997). So far MELS is pretty dry and I have no clue what we exactly are supposed to be doing

Tort Law:

We've been looking at breach of duty, so what factors courts look at when determining whether there is a duty of care. This has been quite straight forward and the cases are fairly simple to understand. Seminar was about Donoghue v Stevenson ...

(For those of you wondering why Gary the Snail? The case was about a bottle of ginger beer containing the remains of a decomposing snail which Donoghue enjoyed on her float :puke: :rofl: )
Which was okay nice and easy... our tutor simply read lecture notes and we answered a few questions.
I tried to continue (...more like start) my tort formative but due to so much reading i ended up trying to crack on with it on the weekend :hide:

Criminal Law:

So we have been looking at Actus reus and Mens rea. The focus was mainly on Actus Reus and the element and causation. If I'm honest the lectures were awful, I think we were having someone being observed or something :s-smilie: all he did was read from his screen of the ppt... Literally put me to sleep so I've been trying to acc work out what he was going on about - catch up time yay :sigh: . Seminars have been good though we looked at R v Brown and looking closely at the judgement whether it was fair or not and then examining punishments ans whether they were effective.

Property Law:

We've been looking at theories of property and the development of the modern system of land law as a process of commodification. So basically the history of commodification such as enclosure ect. We looked at Karl Polanyi as well and his arguments about how land is a 'fictitious commodity'- its not like other commodities. Then went over the creation of the market and the introduction of land registration and the Acts introduced over the years (again basically the history of it). In seminars we looked closely at Locke's theory of property and to what extent does he justifies private property serves as a justification of colonisation. We did a little essay plan and we had to write up for the next seminar.

I was craving Pizza this week so I got one ... not any ordinary one a goats cheese pizza one :coma: was so good :colondollar:

Spoiler

Law Fair:

There was a Law fair o campus where a load of firms attended and yeah basically that was that. I mean for first years they hadn't got much to say to us and we had no idea what to acc do or say. I mean I asked what they expected from first year student and so on but that was it I signed up to a few of the firms. The best part about these fairs is the amount of freebies they hand out :coma: ..one of the main reasons a lot of people went, act like your all interested and then grab the freebies and.... :run:
Groot did grab a few :mmm:

Spoiler

Week 5:

MELS:

So this week we looked at how to write a judgment. In our pods we were assigned reading which we split up.... little did we know some of the readings were much more longer than the others... I had a 40 page article yaaaaay me fml :mad: compared to my pod members who had about 18 pages to read ... lets just say I had a horrible weekend majority of my saturday was spent reading this and it was so boring :emo:. We then had to 'teach' the others what we learnt which was basically for me that judgments look at the past, present, and future (atypicality, typicality and modelling for the future but this couldn't have been summed up into a few pages could it :h: ). Due to not being well I missed the second seminar where they looked at how to write a judgment based on a hypothetical scenario...turns out we have to write our own judgment for this scenario :cry2: luckily a friend sent me the stuff that they did :adore: and there is guidance on moodle- i emailed my tutor she still hasn't got back to me despite sending an email a few days a go about emailing her if we had any problems :dry:.

Tort law:

Honestly I have had a bit of an emotional roller coaster and I've been ill :frown: which has been wonderful, meant I didn't get my formative done for the seminar, I spoke to my tutor and he said pop it in his pigeon hole and email when I did it. I went to the seminar we looked at foresee-ability and liability, and applying such to a hypothetical scenario which we then discussed. I didn't attend the lectures for this week either :redface: I did try to go but I've had such bad headaches and been feeling really sick I just really couldn't I don't know whether it was because of stress or what but this week generally had been awful :cry2: . I did give in my formative on the Friday and straight after went to bed I honestly could've smashed my head at a wall the pain was horrible.

Property Law:

I Didn't attend any lectures like I said above due to being ill. I did attend the seminar where we looked at our paragraphs and discussed them and looked at how to model a 'perfect paragraph'

Did try to rewrite my notes

Spoiler

Criminal Law:

Missed the lecture and seminar but did the seminar work which was around R v Woollin (the baby throwing case as I have come to remember it :rofl: . I attended the friday lecture which again consisted of reading from the screen putting me to sleep :bored: I think this made my headache worse :frown: ... I'm glad he wont be doing any more lectures :adore: otherwise i would have honestly given up with attending the lectures

Finally got my Law school lanyards :awesome:

Spoiler

Health wise I think I need to get checked up because I just keep having these headaches out the blue, like before I was typing this my head was hurting so much :redface:

Week 6: Reading week

Yes this week is reading week. I was supposed to catch up with my notes and stuff I'm still currently struggling to do this :frown: I've honestly been so lazy and it makes me feel awful looking at what I need to get done :afraid: . I still haven't done the court visit I've given up with my pod and I'm going to do it tomorrow hopefully :crossedf: and then write my reflection (500 words) and then my judgment. Also need to do seminar work so yeah I've pretty much left everything last minute and I'm stressing fml can only blame myself.... well done Groot :congrats: :colonhash:

So as you can see I'm quite busy my MELS reflection and judgment aren't due til the 12th December(along with an essay)but its best we get it out the way and aren't rushing it and we are supposed to keep them separate. They count to our final grade (for first year) so thats even better :frown:

So far my Law experience is okay I guess i need to stop stressing myself out and hopefully everything will fall into place :smile:

Anyway apologies for the long post :redface: if you've made it this far .... you're a legend :eek:

Hope you all are well and these past few weeks have been going great keep being amazing :h:!

And now for the amazing guardians :woo: If you would like to be tagged or removed please let me know... I am Groot :colone:

Spoiler

:hugs:Thanks for reading til next time :ciao:
An update!!

Ah, I absolutely love new books.... they make you feel so much smarter. 😭 Those look maaaasive.

Tempted to sleep in lectures? How positively criminal of you!

Oh.MY.God. Free stuff!! You are living life, Groot. Liviiiiiiing, my daring.

I hope you are feeling even a little bit better now and please make sure to take care of yourself. Did you make an appointment with your GP? Not sure how that works if you are away from home but please take care of your health. You must get checked. In the meanwhile, I recommend that you get at least 8 hours of sleep regularly and take things a little slow. Health comes first, remember that. This 'tea' usually helps me if I am feeling slightly under the weather and apparently it is good for immune system:
- add a tablespoon of honey and 2 tablespoons of fresh lemon juice in a cup, fill it up with hot water and then sip as you would sip tea

lol Once you graduate, sue him for being such a dull lecturer. Even dogs get trained with affection. Every lecturer should be prepared to spend half the time entertaining students and then the other half teaching them. Maybe shout out "we matter, you know?" and he might listen. Who knows? :frown:

Thank you for the update and have an amazing rest of the week! :hugs:
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Sinful Delight
An update!!

Ah, I absolutely love new books.... they make you feel so much smarter. 😭 Those look maaaasive.

Tempted to sleep in lectures? How positively criminal of you!

Oh.MY.God. Free stuff!! You are living life, Groot. Liviiiiiiing, my daring.

I hope you are feeling even a little bit better now and please make sure to take care of yourself. Did you make an appointment with your GP? Not sure how that works if you are away from home but please take care of your health. You must get checked. In the meanwhile, I recommend that you get at least 8 hours of sleep regularly and take things a little slow. Health comes first, remember that. This 'tea' usually helps me if I am feeling slightly under the weather and apparently it is good for immune system:
- add a tablespoon of honey and 2 tablespoons of fresh lemon juice in a cup, fill it up with hot water and then sip as you would sip tea

lol Once you graduate, sue him for being such a dull lecturer. Even dogs get trained with affection. Every lecturer should be prepared to spend half the time entertaining students and then the other half teaching them. Maybe shout out "we matter, you know?" and he might listen. Who knows? :frown:

Thank you for the update and have an amazing rest of the week! :hugs:

IKR I'm trying to keep them in good condition but thats not working :rofl: :ahee: I'm also still dumb

I'm tempted just to bring a pillow in and ya know ... :rofl: but yeah he puts me to sleep :yawn:

:u: 2 water bottles, a colouring book, pens, sweets, sticky notes ect :colone: although the pop socket thing was a shock :eek: didn't expect that ... law firms go all the way ... you have so much to look forward too :tongue:

Yeah I wasn't gonna bother at first as I thought it was just stress but today I got headaches again so idk if somethings up :redface:. Awww you're too bloody sweet :hugs: I'll try that out thanks again it means a lot!

I feeling like suing a few people :angry: :lol: but yeah dull lectures are the worst means I'm not motivated at all to do anything :frown: Might have to at this rate otherwise i ain't attending his lectures any more :creep:

Spoiler

No thank you for taking your time to read it :jumphug: its lovely of you to do so! Thanks you too :h: x
:ta: JP

apologies for it being so long :lol:
IKR I'm trying to keep them in good condition but thats not working :rofl: :ahee: I'm also still dumb

I'm tempted just to bring a pillow in and ya know ... :rofl: but yeah he puts me to sleep :yawn:

:u: 2 water bottles, a colouring book, pens, sweets, sticky notes ect :colone: although the pop socket thing was a shock :eek: didn't expect that ... law firms go all the way ... you have so much to look forward too :tongue:

Yeah I wasn't gonna bother at first as I thought it was just stress but today I got headaches again so idk if somethings up :redface:. Awww you're too bloody sweet :hugs: I'll try that out thanks again it means a lot!

I feeling like suing a few people :angry: :lol: but yeah dull lectures are the worst means I'm not motivated at all to do anything :frown: Might have to at this rate otherwise i ain't attending his lectures any more :creep:

Spoiler

No thank you for taking your time to read it :jumphug: its lovely of you to do so! Thanks you too :h: x

Dumb and you? This is the headache talking, better kill it before it speaks further.

They certainly take care of you :wink: They should start handing out pillows too.

As dull as he is, attend them all anyways. He might take pity on you all one day, hopefully soon.

Spoiler

(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Sinful Delight
Dumb and you? This is the headache talking, better kill it before it speaks further.

They certainly take care of you :wink: They should start handing out pillows too.

As dull as he is, attend them all anyways. He might take pity on you all one day, hopefully soon.

lololol ew 'Pigeon hole' just makes me want to vomit. A teacher at my 6th form ruined the term for me, she.... nvm I don't want to pollute your thread with nonsense.

No. NO. NO. Better be sickly sweet. Bake him cookies too. Isn't he marking your essays? Be strategic, babes. :rofl:

:beard: You think so :lol:

Exactly right :rofl: would be so lovely of them to do so :tongue:

Well hopefully from what I've heard he won't be doing the lectures any more :woo: So I will attend dw ur like my mum bless :laugh:

It is a weird term :rofl: spill it now haha you can pollute my thread as much as you like hun :wink: idm

No he won't be marking my essay haha hes just the lecturer for crime the one who will be is weird :erm: and also an awful seminar tutor ... pretty useless so i should potentially be worried.. but then again it is a formative so not too much to worry about as I've been told by many :argh:

Spoiler

:beard: You think so :lol:

Exactly right :rofl: would be so lovely of them to do so :tongue:

Well hopefully from what I've heard he won't be doing the lectures any more :woo: So I will attend dw ur like my mum bless :laugh:

It is a weird term :rofl: spill it now haha you can pollute my thread as much as you like hun :wink: idm

No he won't be marking my essay haha hes just the lecturer for crime the one who will be is weird :erm: and also an awful seminar tutor ... pretty useless so i should potentially be worried.. but then again it is a formative so not too much to worry about as I've been told by many :argh:

Spoiler

I am sharpening my knife as we speak :tongue:

haha

Spoiler

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending