What does the double score science represent?

Watch
lost.soul
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Biology/Physics etc?

What are the two separate GCSE’s in science subjects represented in the double award score
raabiahh
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by lost.soul)
Biology/Physics etc?

What are the two separate GCSE’s in science subjects represented in the double award score
the first grade is calculated using a mean of bio paper 1, chem paper 1 and physics paper 1. and the second grade is calculated using a mean of all paper 2! the idea is that the first grade is core knowledge + second grade is additional knowledge.
lost.soul
Rep:
?
Thank you so much for clearing that up. I was hoping one would be biology as I’m stronger in that than Chem and physics. Thanks again!
Compost
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by raabiahh)
the first grade is calculated using a mean of bio paper 1, chem paper 1 and physics paper 1. and the second grade is calculated using a mean of all paper 2! the idea is that the first grade is core knowledge + second grade is additional knowledge.
No it isn't. They add all the marks of different papers together and then give you 2 grades based on the grade boundaries for double grades. The only possible results are 9-9, 9-8, 8-8, 8-7, 7-7 etc. If the 2 grades were calculated separately you could be awarded grades like 5-8 or 6-3 and you can't be.
Compost
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
For a Combined Science double GCSE you cover 2/3 of each of the Biology GCSE, Chemistry GCSE and Physics GCSE specifications. The final double grade is calculated purely from the total score you achieve.
lost.soul
Rep:
?
(Original post by Compost)
For a Combined Science double GCSE you cover 2/3 of each of the Biology GCSE, Chemistry GCSE and Physics GCSE specifications. The final double grade is calculated purely from the total score you achieve.
I see, I guess I better start revising chem and physics a bit more. Thank you
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (96)
28.24%
No - I have already returned home (44)
12.94%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (65)
19.12%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (34)
10%
No - I live at home during term anyway (101)
29.71%

Watched Threads