The Student Room Group

How similar is your music taste to your family's?

Do you have a similar music taste to your family?

Is your taste inspired by what they listened to when you were younger?

Or is yours completely different?

My answer
I have to say my family all have different music taste. While I listen to a huge variety, I listen to a considerable amount of classic rock. I usually listen to whatever sounds good, but it never seems to be a suitable choice for anyone in my family, whilst my brothers listens to underground UK rap, electronic music and R&B. And I think UK rap and R&B are the genres I listen to the least. :tongue:

Spoiler

sister listens to grim or she just sings old ariana grande songs

brothers dont usually listen to anyhting but roblox songs.

i listen to hip/hop, some edm and some pop music
My family are all into Bollywood music or Pop but I’m into R&B mainly
Mine is pretty much a hybrid of my parent's music taste, my mum loves rock music and my dad is really into 80's synth pop. So I love stuff like The Who, The Beatles, The Doors, Duran Duran, Depeche Mode...

My brother's the odd one out, he's massively into Grime and Drill.
Original post by MidgetFever
Mine is pretty much a hybrid of my parent's music taste, my mum loves rock music and my dad is really into 80's synth pop. So I love stuff like The Who, The Beatles, The Doors, Duran Duran, Depeche Mode...

My brother's the odd one out, he's massively into Grime and Drill.

I think I'm in love with your family's taste :love:
You should try Joy Division and New Order :yes:

Spoiler

Original post by Glaz
I think I'm in love with your family's taste :love:
You should try Joy Division and New Order :yes:

Spoiler

Same! :lol:
Family gatherings are always pretty fun 'cause we just end up listening to music a lot, sometimes the Karaoke comes out. I think Rio is a staple song in our house haha.

Ooh I love Joy Division! Good choices! :h:
Similar to my mum's. :redface:
Original post by Configurednot
Similar to my mum's. :redface:

And what would that be?
Reply 8
I like 80's synth music from my dad - Eurythmics, Pet Shop Boys, Alison Moyet
He's also really into Dusty Springfield, Billy Fury, Elvis, Righteous Brothers, etc

But that's about it . . . other than that no-one in my family is particularly fussed about music, which is strange because, outside of TSR, music is pretty much my life (and always has been) - playing, listening, going to see live ... and a broad range of different genres (not a lot of rap or house and those kinds of things, but pretty much everything else).
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 9
My aul fella liked punk, synth and the the new romantic stuff but that's not exhaustive

Ma liked black music, so soul, motown, rnb, early hip-hop. Also loved funk and disco

I like most of these (with some exceptions re specific acts that I was overdosed on as a child and to whom I can no longer bear to listen) and weirder end of all the spectra, so influenced, sure. Similar, sort of. The same, nope.

I suspect that I picked up trad stuff off the grandparents and the general culture around Irish descent Catholics in Liverpool when I was a boy
(edited 4 years ago)
All of my family hate my music taste 😂😂
In part, the music taste is similar, but I like to listen to music genres and songs they will never do and vice versa.

Quick Reply

Latest