The Student Room Group

Entry Requirements

Hi
I'm currently in S6 in Scotland, applying for mathematics courses.

The problem is that I took maths two years early among some other subjects, which has resulted in me getting my Advanced Highers over, S4, S5 and S6.

Recently I have been told by my university choices that I need to achieve 3 advanced highers in a sitting to get an offer, this means that I would have to sit another 3 advanced highers on top of 3 I have already completed, I was only planning on doing another 2 this year.

Does anyone have any ideas, I'm thinking that maybe I could take a different qualification like A-Level and reach the entry requirements in that, as I'm not allowed to resit qualifications for them to count towards entry requirements.

Thanks for any help!
Reply 1
I realise this is probably in the wrong place, but I don't know how to move it
Original post by felix1234
Hi
I'm currently in S6 in Scotland, applying for mathematics courses.

The problem is that I took maths two years early among some other subjects, which has resulted in me getting my Advanced Highers over, S4, S5 and S6.

Recently I have been told by my university choices that I need to achieve 3 advanced highers in a sitting to get an offer, this means that I would have to sit another 3 advanced highers on top of 3 I have already completed, I was only planning on doing another 2 this year.

Does anyone have any ideas, I'm thinking that maybe I could take a different qualification like A-Level and reach the entry requirements in that, as I'm not allowed to resit qualifications for them to count towards entry requirements.

Thanks for any help!

Which universities and courses are you applying for? Usually courses in Scotland don't require advanced highers at all (with a couple of exceptions, e.g. medicine, vet med) unless you want to go for 2nd year entry. Was it by email that they told you it, or based off of websites?
Reply 3
Original post by Labrador99
Which universities and courses are you applying for? Usually courses in Scotland don't require advanced highers at all (with a couple of exceptions, e.g. medicine, vet med) unless you want to go for 2nd year entry. Was it by email that they told you it, or based off of websites

I'm applying to:
Cambridge
Warwick
Edinburgh
Glasgow
St Andrews

All for maths, with second year entry for the Scottish ones, and it was by email from Glasgow that I was told.
Original post by felix1234
I'm applying to:
Cambridge
Warwick
Edinburgh
Glasgow
St Andrews

All for maths, with second year entry for the Scottish ones, and it was by email from Glasgow that I was told.

That makes more sense...I think Glasgow will be asking for the 3 in one year because that they need to see that you're capable of the (closest school equivalent of) the first year uni workload. However, with what you're doing this year, that doesn't mean it's a wasted application in my view. At worst, they will give you 1st year entry, and they could very well still give you an offer for 2nd year entry, as your academics would be competitive.

Ensure that you also contact the others to ask whether your grades having been achieved over a number of years would be acceptable to them (this is usually fine when done with highers) - the responses from different universities will likely vary.

If you take an A level in a subject you already have an AH in, the universities are unlikely to count that as an additional subject...Also, A levels are 2 year courses, so if anything you'd be better off doing a 3rd AH this year, rather than an A level.
Reply 5
Original post by Labrador99
That makes more sense...I think Glasgow will be asking for the 3 in one year because that they need to see that you're capable of the (closest school equivalent of) the first year uni workload. However, with what you're doing this year, that doesn't mean it's a wasted application in my view. At worst, they will give you 1st year entry, and they could very well still give you an offer for 2nd year entry, as your academics would be competitive.

Ensure that you also contact the others to ask whether your grades having been achieved over a number of years would be acceptable to them (this is usually fine when done with highers) - the responses from different universities will likely vary.

If you take an A level in a subject you already have an AH in, the universities are unlikely to count that as an additional subject...Also, A levels are 2 year courses, so if anything you'd be better off doing a 3rd AH this year, rather than an A level.

Thanks,

I think I'll take another Advanced Higher then to make it 3 this year.

Quick Reply

Latest