The Student Room Group

International student studying in london - English level?

I speak mandarin. I cant speak much English (mostly this is translated). I will study medicine. Can i ask professor to keep me with people who can speak traditional language and not british language, as they wont know to speak properly. Thankyou! (I am going next year wondering if I learn good english while im here.)
Original post by KaiWang12
I speak mandarin. I cant speak much English (mostly this is translated). I will study medicine. Can i ask professor to keep me with people who can speak traditional language and not british language, as they wont know to speak properly. Thankyou! (I am going next year wondering if I learn good english while im here.)

No, Definitly Not. Any UK medical school will specify a minimum level in English (spoken, reading, writing) and all your assessment will be in English. You will also need to be able to interact with real patients as part of your training so having good coloquial and conversational English is really essential.

See the following from UCL for example

https://www.ucl.ac.uk/medical-school/study/undergraduate/mbbs-admissions/entry-requirements

If English is not your first language, then as part of any UK medical school offer, you will be required to show proficiency in English. This is usually by sitting the IELTS exam, and the required grade will be high.

No you won't. For every single course at every single university in the UK, if you have not been educated in the English language prior to attending uni, you will be required to pass IELTS to a suitable level, to prove that you will be able to keep up with your peers. This will be a part of your offer and subsequent entry requirements alongside your high school qualifications.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending