The Student Room Group

Thumping (drum being hit sound ) noise when pressing car brakes then scraping

I just drove home, just a mile or so before getting home I hear a loud thump every time I press my brake pedal from rear of my car. It literally sounds like somebody hitting a drum with a stick.

Then as I was around the corner from home I hear a scraping sound. I checked rear disc and it looks as though it has a small score but not enough to cause any harm so I will not drive it until it is fixed. It wasn't scored previously, The pads/discs and calipers were only changed a few weeks ago.

Earlier today someone was messing with the caliper return spring as handbrake felt slack, after messing with spring handbrake felt good holding on 3 clicks instead of 6.
I assume whatever the issue is now is a result of the caliper return spring ?

Scroll to see replies

It could be your disc pads have gone but the car needs to be looked over by a reputable mechanic.
Original post by Simbasoul
It could be your disc pads have gone but the car needs to be looked over by a reputable mechanic.

the pads are still very thick, discs look fine maybe slight score around the ery bottom caused by whatever happened yesterday but apart from tht they loook fine
Updated! (A still highly abbreviated list)

How much does a small windshield chip usually cost to repair ?
Can a windshield chip be repaired twice ?
Was my windshield chip repaired wrong ?
Windscreen resin not curing properly in repaired pit. it's able to be scraped out
How difficult /easy is to fit an exhaust clamp ?
Is it okay to secure exhaust with a Jubilee clip ?
The front windscreen wipers suddenly stopped working, why ?
Is it okay to swap 16 inch wheels for 17 inch wheels ?
cambelt and water pump replaced, drove car home now not starting ?
took door panel off, now the car won't open from inside?
Why does my car not start and make a clicking noise ?
Why do the front fog lamps on my car not work ?
How would I know if the engine mount had gone on my car ?
Did my friend rip me off when fitting a alternator ?
New backbox hitting inside of bumper, what to do ?
Is it normal for the temp gauge to go past half way slightly ?
Can I drive without rear brake pads to drive the car shop to buy new ones ?
Pressing brake pedal with no pads in caliper/connected ? ( brake and disc job )
Car not starting after timing belt change, did drive home but not starting now
Did I cross thread sump bolt when doing oil changer ? plug was tight to put back in.
Is it difficult to replace a windshield yourself ?
Would a 2007 car pass mot without front fog lamps working ?
why has Rear brake pads on one side worn right down, only replaced 6 months ago.
Is it difficult to bleed brakes ? just replaced caliper
Would a gasoline car battery jump starter work on a diesel car ?
Driving with car handbrake on then burning smell?

Repeated advice: You are not skilled in vehicle repair. Your car is likely dangerous. Take it to a mechanic.
Reply 4
Original post by Admit-One

Windscreen resin not curing properly in repaired pit. it's able to be scraped out
Did I cross thread sump bolt when doing oil changer ? plug was tight to put back in.
why has Rear brake pads on one side worn right down, only replaced 6 months ago.

Repeated advice: You are not skilled in vehicle repair. Your car is likely dangerous. Take it to a mechanic.

You're the hero we need, but do not deserve.
Original post by Admit-One

Simply brilliant :smile:
Original post by IWMTom
You're the hero we need, but do not deserve.

I found out what it was, I actually took 8 buses today, 4 there and 4 back from euro car parts because I thought the inside pad had completely disintgrated as couldn't see it. Reason I couldn't see it was the bolt was missing in the the top hole for caliper mounting bracket and bottom bolt very loose so the thing must have slid back and I didn't see the pad, when I get home I took it apart and the pads still look almost new. All is well
Original post by Reality Check
Simply brilli

see below
Original post by Cleverboy1991
I found out what it was, I actually took 8 buses today, 4 there and 4 back from euro car parts because I thought the inside pad had completely disintgrated as couldn't see it. Reason I couldn't see it was the bolt was missing in the the top hole for caliper mounting bracket and bottom bolt very loose so the thing must have slid back and I didn't see the pad, when I get home I took it apart and the pads still look almost new. All is well

Which clown did that? They shouldn't be anywhere near a car.

You need to get the brakes checked by someone that knows what they're doing. Did a bolt fall out? Did they lubricate them (don't)?! Use a torque wrench?
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 9
Where abouts do you live @Cleverboy1991

I want to be sure I'm never on a road that's within a 50 mile radius of your car.
Original post by IWMTom
Where abouts do you live @Cleverboy1991

I want to be sure I'm never on a road that's within a 50 mile radius of your car.

I was born in Ormskirk hospital in 1991 which is about 2 or 3 miles from Edge hill University. I live in a town about 4 miles from there
edit: thanks, so you don't want to get hurt but you don't mind me getting hurt by the sounds of what you are trying to say ? lol
(edited 4 years ago)
NB. I don't see CB's posts anymore, (although the thread titles always give me a chuckle as I imagine his clown car rattling away with bits shooting off in all directions), I believe he's a troll but if other people are going to assume good faith and try and help, I do think it's important they understand the level of mechanical competence they are dealing with.
thanks, so you don't want to get hurt but you don't mind me getting hurt by the sounds of what you are trying to say ?

If you minded you getting hurt then you'd have given up your amateur car destroying a long time ago.

That you still drive around in the pile of bolts you call a car is a signal of your own deathwish and clear desire to feature in the next Final Destination-like film, or possibly win a Darwin Award.

Either way, you're a ducking moron.
Original post by Drewski
If you minded you getting hurt then you'd have given up your amateur car destroying a long time ago.

That you still drive around in the pile of bolts you call a car is a signal of your own deathwish and clear desire to feature in the next Final Destination-like film, or possibly win a Darwin Award.

Either way, you're a ducking moron.

Hey Drewski, Thanks for the input

Yesterday I discovered the pads/discs were fine I couldn't see it to begin with as the calliper mounting bracket had slid backward due to missing bolt and loose bolt so didn't see pad until I took of the calliper, by then it was late as I had got 8 buses to Euro car parts and reason I didn't check before leaving home yesterday morning is the buses here are once an hour on a Sunday in my town and a bus was due otherwise I would have realised I didn't need to get pads after all. buses here are once an hour on Sunday but once we got the second bus from out of town the buses are around every 30 mins 0n a Sunday there.

Could you please help. Today a new problem arose. I pulled up at the gym and realised smoke coming from rear passenger side brakes area, strong burning smell and smoke. very hot with blue ring around the bottom of disc.
I went to a garage around 2 mins away they were busy and said come tomorrow if it is still doing it they will look. I told him one of the caliper mounting bracket bolts I put in yesterday as one was missing was longer than the other, he suggested the bolt could be causing the smoking and overheating and said to unscrew it a bit.
I did that but it still seemed hot and smelled a bit after a few miles later.
I am going out again soon so will check them again later by then they should have cooled a bit

any advice much apprecieted. thanks
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 14
Yesterday I discovered the pads/discs were fine I couldn't see it to begin with as the calliper mounting bracket had slid backward due to missing bolt and loose bolt so didn't see pad until I took of the calliper, by then it was late as I had got 8 buses to Euro car parts and reason I didn't check before leaving home yesterday morning is the buses here are once an hour and a bus was due otherwise I would have realised I didn't need to get pads after all. buses here are once an hour on Sunday but once we got the second bus the buses are around every 30 mins 0n a Sunday there.

Could you please help. Today a new problem arose. I pulled up at the gym and realised smoke coming from rear passenger side brakes area, strong burning smell and smoke. very hot with blue ring around the bottom of disc.
I went to a garage around 2 mins away they were busy and said come tomorrow if it is still doing it they will look. I told him one of the caliper mounting bracket bolts I put in yesterday as one was missing was longer than the other, he suggested the bolt could be causing the smoking and overheating and said to unscrew it a bit.
I did that but it still seemed hot and smelled a bit after a few miles later.
I am going out again soon so will check them again later by then they should have cooled a bit

Unscrew a tightened bolt a bit :laugh:

This is hilarious.
Original post by IWMTom
Unscrew a tightened bolt a bit :laugh:

This is hilarious.

:angry:As I said a caliper mounting bolt was missing and one was loose. I found a spare bolt with same width but a little longer. The mechanic suggested I may have put it in too far that the bolt may be touching the disc so he told me it may just need the screw winding back as it could be pressing on the disc
(edited 4 years ago)

Yes, delete your account and get rid of your car or the next thing being bought for you will be a coffin.
Reply 17
Original post by cleverboy1991
:angry:as i said a caliper mounting bolt was missing and one was loose. I found a spare bolt with same width but a little longer. The mechanic suggested i may have put it in too far that the bolt may be touching the disc so he told me it may just need the screw winding back as it could be pressing on the disc

that. Is. Not. How. Bolts. Work.

Stop. ****ing. Driving. A. Death. Trap.
Original post by Drewski
Yes, delete your account and get rid of your car or the next thing being bought for you will be a coffin.

Hey
I tried winding the bolt back a bit as it was longer than the one that should have been in there that originally came from it , this was a spare bolt I found but wasn't sure if I had threaded it in too far .

a few hours later I was coming home from doing some shopping and coming off the motorway I got the strongest burning smell yet, whole inside of car had very strong smell of burning brakes but luckily a bp garage was near so I stopped there.

I took wheel off again and undo the handbrake cable and that actually freed the wheel as previously it wasn't spinning ( it would move about quarter of 1 turn ) like it was stuck, I spun the wheel and it span freely I realised it must have been that and now the problem of burning brakes seems to be resolved. I need to try fixing the handbrake cable on the rear passenger side back on tomorrow, it is off atm.

thanks for your advice but I think you are being dramatic lol
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by IWMTom
that. Is. Not. How. Bolts. Work.

Stop. ****ing. Driving. A. Death. Trap.

see above, thanks

Quick Reply

Latest