The Student Room Group

Inferential stats - psychology

Hey, so I'm doing spearman's rho and I've got all the numbers I need, the end result is not significant.
What I'm stuck on is if the result is NOT significant which hypothesis do I accept/reject?
Also while I'm on the topic could someone help me with the others so for the Wilcoxon, t test etc when to accept/reject which hypothesis. I've tried searching it up but not found anything.
Thanks
Original post by justarosexo
Hey, so I'm doing spearman's rho and I've got all the numbers I need, the end result is not significant.
What I'm stuck on is if the result is NOT significant which hypothesis do I accept/reject?
Also while I'm on the topic could someone help me with the others so for the Wilcoxon, t test etc when to accept/reject which hypothesis. I've tried searching it up but not found anything.
Thanks

With a non-significant result, you accept the null. You did not find a difference/result, therefore your hypothesis that there would be no difference is the right one.
Reply 2
Original post by DrawTheLine
With a non-significant result, you accept the null. You did not find a difference/result, therefore your hypothesis that there would be no difference is the right one.

thanks, does that apply to the other tests too?
thanks, does that apply to the other tests too?

Yes, but it depends on what your p value is. Obviously if you get a non-significant result, you can't then turn around and say you found a difference!
Reply 4
Original post by DrawTheLine
Yes, but it depends on what your p value is. Obviously if you get a non-significant result, you can't then turn around and say you found a difference!

thanks that made it a lot clearer, if only my teacher explained it like that :smile:
thanks that made it a lot clearer, if only my teacher explained it like that :smile:

No worries - any further questions pop me a message :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending