The Student Room Group

Drama School entry 2020

Volunteer Note: This is the thread for 2020 entry, if you're looking for discussions about 2021 entry, click here.

Hi!

I couldn’t find a new thread for this year’s drama school auditions season so I thought I’d send start one :smile:

Here are a few questions I have:
Does anyone know when RADA usually release their application form?
Is the classical speech list on Central’s website the one from last year or is it a new one? It’ll be my first time auditioning for them!

I’ve auditioned for the last 2 years now a BOVTS, Lamda, RADA and Guildhall so if you’ve got any questions I’ll be happy to answer to the best of my abilities!

Good luck to you all (and make sure you have fun with it) x
(edited 3 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Perform26
Hi!

I couldn’t find a new thread for this year’s drama school auditions season so I thought I’d send start one :smile:

Here are a few questions I have:
Does anyone know when RADA usually release their application form?
Is the classical speech list on Central’s website the one from last year or is it a new one? It’ll be my first time auditioning for them!

I’ve auditioned for the last 2 years now a BOVTS, Lamda, RADA and Guildhall so if you’ve got any questions I’ll be happy to answer to the best of my abilities!

Good luck to you all (and make sure you have fun with it) x

Hi there!

It's my third year auditioning too, and I'm auditioning for BOVTS, LAMDA and RADA as well as GSA, East 15, and royal Scottish. RADA release their application forms in October at some point. As for Central, I am pretty sure that the classical speech list is for this year,as applications for central are currently open. However, I auditioned their last year and I recognise most of the speeches, so I think they are possibly the same as last year. I know that on their website Central say they are happy for you to ring them and request a copy of the list, just to make sure.

Good luck to you too :smile:
Hello!

I decided to join the thread because I found everyone on The Student Room incredibly welcoming and supporting a few years ago.

I have a question - how many drama schools should I audition for?

My problem is this year is the final year of my BA (in fashion journalism), and I don't want to overwhelm myself at such a crucial time. I'm also doing the part-time acting course at Rose Bruford at the moment, so I'm juggling a lot right now.

I'm definitely applying to Guildhall because it's a three-year MA, and also LAMDA because they offer a two-year MA. Most of the MAs seem to be just a year, and I might be wrong, but I don't feel I have enough training/experience to be considered for a one-year MA.

So should I just stick to applying to the schools I really want to go to? Or try to open my options risking mental and physical exhaustion :biggrin:
Hi guys, I'm applying this year for straight acting courses too. I've already got a BA in politics but used to act all the time in school and in a youth theatre and wished I'd auditioned when I was 18 but didn't have the guts. Anyway, I was also going to apply for masters courses but tbh I don't think I'm ready for one and really want 3 years of training - its a lot of money either way so would rather get what I actually want out of it ya know! I'm applying for RADA, Lamda and Guildhall - stressI think i've decided on 3 out of 4 monologues and just need one light/comedic contemporary one now - if anyone has any suggestions I would be very grateful as I feel like i've been searching for weeks! So glad this thread has been started!!
Hi perform 26,

Do you have any advice on no-go’s for monologues for these schools? E.g plays or emotions to avoid?

And do you have a dance and singing audition for straight acting at all these schools?

Thanks!!
Reply 5
Original post by siobhanwinifred
Hi perform 26,

Do you have any advice on no-go’s for monologues for these schools? E.g plays or emotions to avoid?

And do you have a dance and singing audition for straight acting at all these schools?

Thanks!!

I don’t thunk there is no go emotions per say! I think avoid anything too sexual or too out of control or mad (very difficult to get right). Most school will specify on their website what they don’t want to see if you are worried about that.

In most auditions they will make you sing but what they want to see is you telling a story through a different medium. So don’t worry too much about technique. And I’ve never done any dancing for straight acting courses but there will be movement based workshops for sure! Hope that helps.
Reply 6
Original post by lozzaxharris
Hello!

I decided to join the thread because I found everyone on The Student Room incredibly welcoming and supporting a few years ago.

I have a question - how many drama schools should I audition for?

My problem is this year is the final year of my BA (in fashion journalism), and I don't want to overwhelm myself at such a crucial time. I'm also doing the part-time acting course at Rose Bruford at the moment, so I'm juggling a lot right now.

I'm definitely applying to Guildhall because it's a three-year MA, and also LAMDA because they offer a two-year MA. Most of the MAs seem to be just a year, and I might be wrong, but I don't feel I have enough training/experience to be considered for a one-year MA.

So should I just stick to applying to the schools I really want to go to? Or try to open my options risking mental and physical exhaustion :biggrin:

In my opinion, you should only apply for the schools you really want to go to. It’s a lot of money and emotional/physical investment. Some would argue that it’s good practice to just audition as much as you can...
Hi! Wondering here how bad it's considered to cut up a monologue? The National Youth Theatre offered it cut up in one of their audition guides but in the actual play the monologue is about 40s longer (scary!) I have another contemporary monologue but don't know if it's got enough zest. Thank you in advance!
Hello! Just wanted to pop in here to say hi to everyone.
This year I'm gonna be applying to drama schools for the first time, I'm 18, currently still in high school. Any advice on finding (contemporary) female monologues? I've read a few plays but I can't find any suitable for me.
Greetings from Poland!
Hi everyone,

I'm auditioning for the second year now :smile: first year I managed to get onto a foundation at Rose Bruford, which I'm currently doing now!

But back to the audition grind and I'm determined to get onto a BA this time!
Original post by shakespearying
Hi! Wondering here how bad it's considered to cut up a monologue? The National Youth Theatre offered it cut up in one of their audition guides but in the actual play the monologue is about 40s longer (scary!) I have another contemporary monologue but don't know if it's got enough zest. Thank you in advance!

Nothing wrong with cutting a monologue as long as it makes sense you're good to go! If it's a contemporary they won't know anyway unless it's a popular play speech

Original post by zuzannazofia
Hello! Just wanted to pop in here to say hi to everyone.
This year I'm gonna be applying to drama schools for the first time, I'm 18, currently still in high school. Any advice on finding (contemporary) female monologues? I've read a few plays but I can't find any suitable for me.
Greetings from Poland!

My best advice is make sure they fit the criteria of each school! My thing is to just go to a bookshop and flick through the plays until I find a speech, I then read the speech and decide if it's 'me' or not and then I read the play and keep looking for more
Hey guys I'm auditioning too! Will be my 2nd year auditioning and I'm 20 from Northern Ireland :smile:
Another question: in Helena's monologue from All's Well That Ends Well she begins by saying "Then I confess, here on my knee" but is it considered better to actually get on one's knee or will the audition panel understand if you don't? Not sure if doing it kneeling would be frowned upon?
Reply 13
Hello! I’m auditioning this year! I’ve auditioned once before (only for RADA and LAMDA in 2017). Has anyone looked at Central’s website recently? I thought I was going crazy because they no longer have a list of classic monologues to choose from, just a list of ideas of what others have done in the past but you don’t have to choose from that list!!
Another question: in Helena's monologue from All's Well That Ends Well she begins by saying "Then I confess, here on my knee" but is it considered better to actually get on one's knee or will the audition panel understand if you don't? Not sure if doing it kneeling would be frowned upon?

I watched someone do this last year and they actually cut out the line saying she was on her knee! You could probably start on your knee and then stand up after a couple of lines but that depends on what you think the character would do

Original post by jrsh
Hello! I’m auditioning this year! I’ve auditioned once before (only for RADA and LAMDA in 2017). Has anyone looked at Central’s website recently? I thought I was going crazy because they no longer have a list of classic monologues to choose from, just a list of ideas of what others have done in the past but you don’t have to choose from that list!!

I like how their reccomendations are just the old list! But you're not going crazy it looks like they've gotten rid of it!
Reply 15
Original post by jrsh

Thanks for pointing it out! It does look like they have!
Does anyone have experiences with the Royal Welsh College of Music and Drama? I'm torn between them and GSA because I've heard good things about both.
Reply 17
Does anyone have experiences with the Royal Welsh College of Music and Drama? I'm torn between them and GSA because I've heard good things about both.

I don't have any experience with either, but my personal impression would be that GSA is more of an established name that comes with the prestige of the GSA name whereas RWCMD is more of a "new" (for a drama school at least!), up and coming school (although that's not to say the name doesn't hold prestige as well!) This is just my impression though, I could be totally wrong so if someone else has some experience with the schools feel free to correct me! At the end of the day, I do think they would both offer brilliant training, so if you're stuck on a decision maybe try researching all the things in a school that are important to you and make the decision based on that? For me, I'm researching things like what alumni and recent graduates are working in, how qualified the teachers are, what kind of classes the course entails, what facilities the school has etc!! Sorry that was such a long message but I hope it helped slightly :smile:
Reply 18
Does anyone know where they're applying/have applied for yet?! I'm just trying to narrow down my list of schools in order to submit my applications next month!!
Original post by jrsh
Does anyone know where they're applying/have applied for yet?! I'm just trying to narrow down my list of schools in order to submit my applications next month!!

Hey! I'm applying for RADA, LAMDA, CSSD, RCS, East 15, and GSA I think! Originally I had Drama Centre London (previously called Central Saint Martin's) but they announced that they won't be taking any new undergraduates in September 2020 :/

Latest

Trending

Trending