The Student Room Group

Calculating speed from tension.

Here’s the question at hand:
A ship is pulled at a constant speed of 2.5ms^-1 by 2 tugs, A and B. Each tug is connected by a cable so that the angle each of the cables make with the direction of travel is 41 degrees. The ship experiences a drag force of 8000v^2 Newtons.
As the tugs attempt to increase the speed of the ship from 2.5ms^-1, tug A breaks down, with its cable becoming slack.
Calculate the speed to which the ship initially decelerates, assuming the tension in the other cable remains constant.

I’m really struggling with this one so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Theo298
Here’s the question at hand:
A ship is pulled at a constant speed of 2.5ms^-1 by 2 tugs, A and B. Each tug is connected by a cable so that the angle each of the cables make with the direction of travel is 41 degrees. The ship experiences a drag force of 8000v^2 Newtons.
As the tugs attempt to increase the speed of the ship from 2.5ms^-1, tug A breaks down, with its cable becoming slack.
Calculate the speed to which the ship initially decelerates, assuming the tension in the other cable remains constant.

I’m really struggling with this one so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Have you drawn the two diagrams with two tensions and with one tension?
Reply 2
Original post by mqb2766
Have you drawn the two diagrams with two tensions and with one tension?

I have not, no. I do not know how to got about this.
Reply 3
Original post by Theo298
I have not, no. I do not know how to got about this.

Draw the boats, lines, ... and put the tensions, angles, .. on there
If you can't draw the diagrams, Id honestly suggest starting with simpler problems.
Reply 4
Original post by mqb2766
Draw the boats, lines, ... and put the tensions, angles, .. on there
If you can't draw the diagrams, Id honestly suggest starting with simpler problems.

I am able to draw diagrams, we were just not supplied with the tensions for the ropes.
so the key is to realise that with the 2 tugs the net force in the direction of motion is zero newtons. thus the 2 tension components in the forward direction must balance the resistive force in the opposite direction.

you can now work out the individual tensions.

once the cable snaps the only forward force is the tension component from the other tug. this is unchanged, but will not be able to balance the resistive force.
Reply 6
Original post by the bear
so the key is to realise that with the 2 tugs the net force in the direction of motion is zero newtons. thus the 2 tension components in the forward direction must balance the resistive force in the opposite direction.

you can now work out the individual tensions.

once the cable snaps the only forward force is the tension component from the other tug. this is unchanged, but will not be able to balance the resistive force.

Thanks this is very helpful. I now have the drag force, 50,000N. Would the tension in the cable be half of the drag force, for there are 2 cables?
Reply 7
Original post by Theo298
Thanks this is very helpful. I now have the drag force, 50,000N. Would the tension in the cable be half of the drag force, for there are 2 cables?

You'd have to resolve forwards and sideways. The tugs are at an angle.
Reply 8
Original post by mqb2766
You'd have to resolve forwards and sideways. The tugs are at an angle.

So is the force 25000N?
Reply 9
Original post by Theo298
So is the force 25000N?

Can you post your diagram and explain the figure.
The rope tensions are not 25,000
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 10
image.jpg
Original post by Theo298
So is the force 25000N?

the forward component of each cable is 25000 N.
Original post by Theo298
image.jpg

When you put the forces / tensions on there you'll see they are not aligned so need to be balanced forwards and sideways
Reply 13
Original post by mqb2766
When you put the forces / tensions on there you'll see they are not aligned so need to be balanced forwards and sideways

Okay so I think I have that as 33125.32N.

How would I use that to calculate the original question?
Original post by Theo298
Okay so I think I have that as 33125.32N.

How would I use that to calculate the original question?

Sounds right.
So that should balance the new resistive drag (velocity) which will be aligned with the tension.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 15
Original post by mqb2766
Sounds right.
So that should balance the new resistive drag (velocity) which will be aligned with the tension.

Would the new drag be 8000v^2 = 33125.32N, as there is only one tug now?
Original post by Theo298
Would the new drag be 8000v^2 = 33125.32N, as there is only one tug now?

Yes, the forces are in the same (opposite) direction.

Do draw the diagrams and put the tensions on there, even if they're unknown. It makes directions / resolving components clear.
Reply 17
Original post by mqb2766
Yes, the forces are in the same (opposite) direction.

Do draw the diagrams and put the tensions on there, even if they're unknown. It makes directions / resolving components clear.

So that would equal 2.03ms^-1?
Original post by Theo298
So that would equal 2.03ms^-1?

Dunno, I presume you're capable of a division and square root?
Does the answer make rough sense if the initial speed was 2.5?
Reply 19
Original post by mqb2766
Dunno, I presume you're capable of a division and square root?
Does the answer make rough sense if the initial speed was 2.5?

I was expecting the loss of half the tugs to have more of an impact, but I can complete the required process the get the answer.

Quick Reply

Latest