The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Hey guys, on the NAI form I wanted to include my experience in a care home as well as the hospital.

Is this a good idea? They said that they’re more interested in the hands-on experience but I feel like I should include both.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 81
Guys, the top 1/3 get an automatic interview invite, so how strongly will UoM look at these candidates’ NAI?
hi, can someone explain how this NAI form process works? am i meant to write this like a personal statement (without directly copying my essay)? also, they’re reading my personal statement right?
Original post by desperateintl
hi, can someone explain how this NAI form process works? am i meant to write this like a personal statement (without directly copying my essay)? also, they’re reading my personal statement right?

They said they’ll read personal statements in some cases. And ye just answer the sections using the information they give you on the left hand side of the text box.

Also like lifeofamedic said don’t copy your personal statement. I’m guessing you can use a sentence or two but I wouldn’t copy whole paragraphs.
Original post by Muez
They said they’ll read personal statements in some cases. And ye just answer the sections using the information they give you on the left hand side of the text box.

Also like lifeofamedic said don’t copy your personal statement. I’m guessing you can use a sentence or two but I wouldn’t copy whole paragraphs.

in some cases?? meaning they don’t read your personal statement most of the time?
Original post by desperateintl
in some cases?? meaning they don’t read your personal statement most of the time?

Check the last question under the NAI section:

https://www.bmh.manchester.ac.uk/study/medicine/apply/faqs/

It says, “We may read a small number of personal statements in certain circumstances.”

So yes I think most of the time it’s just the NAI form.
Hello, I’ve applied to Manchester and I’m a bit confused about the non-academic information form because I’m not sure what examples to use for the experience in a caring role section. On the website it says that they advise against using work experience, so is that a big no? Thank you.
Original post by Muez
Hey guys, on the NAI form I wanted to include my experience in a care home as well as the hospital.

Is this a good idea? They said that they’re more interested in the hands-on experience but I feel like I should include both.

Absolutely include it! My son also volunteered in a care home (he's in his first year at Manchester). It's important to write about what you did, no matter how small on the surface, and tell them what you got out of it. Did you provide an ear for residents? Fetch a drink? Did you demonstrate patience, empathy? Write about that.
Original post by Georginamackg
Hello, I’ve applied to Manchester and I’m a bit confused about the non-academic information form because I’m not sure what examples to use for the experience in a caring role section. On the website it says that they advise against using work experience, so is that a big no? Thank you

Did you not do any volunteering? Also, what was your work experience? If it was in a caring role, I'd still use it. You don't have to call it work experience. But work experience is only about a week long, isn't it?
Original post by Tigermom
Did you not do any volunteering? Also, what was your work experience? If it was in a caring role, I'd still use it. You don't have to call it work experience. But work experience is only about a week long, isn't it?

Yeah no I volunteer at a hospice each week, I worked at M&S for a while and volunteered helping out at a boys scouts group I just don’t know what to put down 😬😂 my work experience placement was at a hospital but it was more observational and they say on the website that they want to hear of your more active roles sooo 🤷🏽*♀️ Im conflicted, how about you? x
Does running PE sessions for disadvantaged (not disabled) children count as experience in a caring role?
My volunteering is ongoing so what date do I put for when it ends ?
Yeah no I volunteer at a hospice each week, I worked at M&S for a while and volunteered helping out at a boys scouts group I just don’t know what to put down 😬😂 my work experience placement was at a hospital but it was more observational and they say on the website that they want to hear of your more active roles sooo 🤷🏽*♀️ Im conflicted, how about you? x

I'm just the mom of a first year med student at Manchester. But your volunteering roles are fantastic. So is having a job. My son also did a hospital placement, but his volunteering was more hands-on. Your volunteering roles are great, and you don't need to worry about shoehorning in the hospital experience. Only if you can relate it to something valuable. Don't fret if you can't. It's far less impressive to them than your volunteering. Also, they love it when you have a job. Make something out of that in the relevant place (dealing with angry customers, examples of teamwork, etc). You've got some great stuff there, so don't worry. Good luck.
Original post by Studen786786786
My volunteering is ongoing so what date do I put for when it ends ?

Same! I’m thinking of stopping it in December so might just put December the 13th down
Original post by Chickenhead11
Same! I’m thinking of stopping it in December so might just put December the 13th down

I emailed them on Friday but still no response
Original post by Studen786786786
I emailed them on Friday but still no response

Could u let me know what they say, when they reply?
Original post by Chickenhead11

You could put the date you plan to finish it, I put the date I'd start uni as I was planning on continuing until I moved out. If you're not sure when you are going to finish, you can take a guess or put the date you submit the form to indicate that it's ongoing.

The finishing date is more for them to see how long you've already volunteered for, so whether you choose today's date or a future date won't make much of a difference as it's about how long you've spent prior to applying if that makes sense
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Tigermom
I'm just the mom of a first year med student at Manchester. But your volunteering roles are fantastic. So is having a job. My son also did a hospital placement, but his volunteering was more hands-on. Your volunteering roles are great, and you don't need to worry about shoehorning in the hospital experience. Only if you can relate it to something valuable. Don't fret if you can't. It's far less impressive to them than your volunteering. Also, they love it when you have a job. Make something out of that in the relevant place (dealing with angry customers, examples of teamwork, etc). You've got some great stuff there, so don't worry. Good luck.

Thank you so much! I’m really worried because obviously everyone has some really great experiences but fingers crossed 🤞🏼 also are they enjoying Manchester?
Thank you so much! I’m really worried because obviously everyone has some really great experiences but fingers crossed 🤞🏼 also are they enjoying Manchester?

You've got amazing experience. Seriously. You're looking good. As I said though, it's what you draw out of it. But you look better than my son did. He just did the care home. He mostly drew a lot from his job: lifeguarding, where he had to deal with some heated moments (this was valuable, as he could show how he dealt with those situations) plus had three rescues (he touched on one rescue and what he got out of it), a spinal injury, (example of team work going into action). He did make one reference to his hospital work experience, but it was short and sweet. And yes, he's loving Manchester (his first choice). He's constantly revising. He especially loves the PBL component.
Original post by lifeofamedic
Hey everyone,

I thought I'd set this up for all those of you considering applying to Manchester this year.

We can discuss stats, the application process requirements and also parts of the Manchester course. Remember Manchester is PBL/Integrated so they do a lot of small group teaching which is supplemented with lectures and early clinical experience. You have weekly PBL sessions, Anatomy (dissection), and communication sessions.

I've just finished my 2nd year of Medicine at Manchester (will be in my 3rd year by the time you all apply) so if any of you have any questions about the uni, the course structure or want and tips regarding your application, feel free to just ask!

Hey. Is there any advantage to providing two examples of experience in a caring role over one? I’d rather have something left to discuss at interview than parrot my NAI form when they ask about these experiences.

Latest

Trending

Trending