The Student Room Group

She wants to break up with me so she can see her options?

So I have been dating my gf for more than a year now and she said that she wants to break up first of uni for year to try her options
Basically, Breaking up with me first year of uni, trying her options, get back together the following year. To see if I am the one and if not, stay with that guy.
Also she wants to go clubbing alone and with her friends.

Scroll to see replies

She's so unloyal hun. Good riddance.
Reply 2
Original post by cheerIeader
She's so unloyal hun. Good riddance.

she is loyal but she brought this up yesterday night and I have been thinking about it ever since
Original post by Anonymous
she is loyal but she brought this up yesterday night and I have been thinking about it ever since

Well apparently not. Who knows how long she's been planning to get it on with other men? Skank.
She's not loyal. You deserve much better. Tell her if you break up you won't wait around for her.
Reply 5
Original post by cheerIeader
Well apparently not. Who knows how long she's been planning to get it on with other men? Skank.

She said this when we watched the great gatsby together yesterday night and I made her repeat it 4 times to make sure I was hearing that correctly and I asked her why and she said that, it is very common in the society and it happens and she said that she wants to live her teenage years, go clubbing etc.
I let her have guy friends, talk to them and try not to be controlling because its not fair and when I ask about them, she is honest and tells me about them and what they talked about etc. I even let her catch up with a friend who is a guy, then later this guy confesses to her that he had a crush on her and he asked her out although he knew she was in a relationship with me, then I get angry at her and she backs him up saying that you would obvi tell the person if you had a crush for such a long time like idk anymore
Reply 6
Original post by MrMusician95
She's not loyal. You deserve much better. Tell her if you break up you won't wait around for her.

Yeh I said that to her and she said that I failed the test? like what test is there.
then I said that she is moving away from me etc , then she started crying?? then said that she loved me??
She said this when we watched the great gatsby together yesterday night and I made her repeat it 4 times to make sure I was hearing that correctly and I asked her why and she said that, it is very common in the society and it happens and she said that she wants to live her teenage years, go clubbing etc.
I let her have guy friends, talk to them and try not to be controlling because its not fair and when I ask about them, she is honest and tells me about them and what they talked about etc. I even let her catch up with a friend who is a guy, then later this guy confesses to her that he had a crush on her and he asked her out although he knew she was in a relationship with me, then I get angry at her and she backs him up saying that you would obvi tell the person if you had a crush for such a long time like idk anymore

Acceptance at uni is an invitation to explore course modules not to explore other men.

The fact she also decides to drop this bomb on you for no reason also shows that she wasn't completely loyal/considerate of your feelings. If she was moving out to a different city I'd understand but she's doing this for no other reason than to 'experiment' which is a bit ridiculous.. sort of invalidates the entire relationship and how she feels about it. Also the fact she did this over 'The Great Gatsby' makes it even worse.. watching a movie about chasing love only to leave it at the University gate?
(edited 4 years ago)
don’t let anyone treat you like a second choice!!! kiss her ass goodbyeb
She sounds like a beatch.
Original post by IH8Studying
don’t let anyone treat you like a second choice!!! kiss her ass goodbyeb

like it makes me feel insecure and if I am wasting my time?
Yeh I said that to her and she said that I failed the test? like what test is there.
then I said that she is moving away from me etc , then she started crying?? then said that she loved me??

If she loved you she wouldn't be having second thoughts.

When you love someone.. it's worth fighting for no matter what the odds are.
If she respected you and your relationship she would not ask you to stay around until after she has experimented... it's either a case that she stays with you or breaks up with you not to come back
Most relationships do not survive the start of university, however painful that may be. Time to end it perhaps.
like it makes me feel insecure and if I am wasting my time?

then leave her please. don’t let her waste any more of your time. don’t allow her to make you not feel good enough
Yeah she sounds so unloyal she’s basically saying she doesn’t want you anymore. She wants to find someone new and if that doesn’t work then you’re the second or third choice. Why are you with her she sounds as though she has cheated
Your girlfriend has her head screwed on properly.

She's looking at the long term.
She's showing wisdom beyond her years.

You should fully approve of and support her plan.

This means that you should enjoy your time together with her until the day before each of you goes off to uni.

Then, on your first evening at uni, you both turn over a new leaf, become single again, and take this opportunity to reinvent yourselves. For example, if you've always been a bit on the shy side, it'd be a good time to become a more outgoing person.

You should both try other sexual partners. Chances are, neither of you will look back. Chances are, you will both find someone that you prefer to your present partner. But you never know. You might find that you love each other just the same or more after taking a sabbatical from each other.

After all, you don't really want to be one of those boring square couples that have been together since school and have never sampled all that student night and social life has to offer? One of those couples that just lives within rather tight comfort zones all the time?
(edited 4 years ago)
Seems reasonable. no one should have to settle that young...
Why does she need to go clubbing alone why can you not go with her and her friends? If she was truely invested and loved you, then she would not want to keep her options open, nor would she consider investing time in another man.
Original post by Dunnig Kruger
Your girlfriend has her head screwed on properly.

She's looking at the long term.
She's showing wisdom beyond her years.

You should fully approve of and support her plan.

This means that you should enjoy your time together with her until the day before each of you goes off to uni.

Then, on your first evening at uni, you both turn over a new leaf, become single again, and take this opportunity to reinvent yourselves. For example, if you've always been a bit on the shy side, it'd be a good time to become a more outgoing person.

You should both try other sexual partners. Chances are, neither of you will look back. Chances are, you will both find someone that you prefer to your present partner. But you never know. You might find that you love each other just the same or more after taking a sabbatical from each other.

After all, you don't really want to be one of those boring square couples that have been together since school and have never sampled all that student night and social life has to offer? One of those couples that just lives within rather tight comfort zones all the time?

she wants to go to the same uni as me and we applied to similar/close unis.
she said that she cant wait to have lunch with me everyday etc..

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending