The Student Room Group

How big is the gap between the Prem and lower leagues?

It was non-league day not too long ago and I had a debate with someone who said the gap between the premier league and non-league football isn't as big as we think it is. I'm conflicted on one hand I've seen man city beat Burton 9-0 but then i've seen players like Ali, Vardy and Kante come from lower divisions and boss it in the premier league. I personally know guys who were in the under 21s of premier league sides and now they're playing in the national league. Is the level required for the prem that high or is it due to not being given a chance at prem level to prove themselves?
Original post by Zeetingman
It was non-league day not too long ago and I had a debate with someone who said the gap between the premier league and non-league football isn't as big as we think it is. I'm conflicted on one hand I've seen man city beat Burton 9-0 but then i've seen players like Ali, Vardy and Kante come from lower divisions and boss it in the premier league. I personally know guys who were in the under 21s of premier league sides and now they're playing in the national league. Is the level required for the prem that high or is it due to not being given a chance at prem level to prove themselves?

Burton aren't non league, they were in the Championship until May 2018!

It doesn't surprise me that you know people in that situation because the success rate for making it is absolutely tiny - we're talking 1%. Even taking my own club Manchester United, the lower leagues are absolutely littered with our former academy players who weren't good enough for us but have made respectable careers elsewhere. Some of them make their way back up. Vardy for example was released by Sheffield Wednesday.
Reply 2
Original post by sr90
Burton aren't non league, they were in the Championship until May 2018!

It doesn't surprise me that you know people in that situation because the success rate for making it is absolutely tiny - we're talking 1%. Even taking my own club Manchester United, the lower leagues are absolutely littered with our former academy players who weren't good enough for us but have made respectable careers elsewhere. Some of them make their way back up. Vardy for example was released by Sheffield Wednesday.

What qualities separate a standard lower league footballer to an established premier league footballer? I guess I want to understand how quality works in football.

Quick Reply

Latest