The Student Room Group

MLAT 2020 Entry Official Thread!!!!!

Since there doesn't seem to be a thread for MLAT 2020 already, I've decided to make one. I'm applying to Queen's College, Oxford for Spanish and Linguistics.

Could everyone specify:
What language(s) you want to study.
The specific Oxford college.
General opinions on MLAT (e.g. past papers you've done, how you are finding it etc.)
How have you been preparing?
(edited 4 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Hello! I am Louisa.
Course: Spanish and Beginners Italian
College:Lincoln

I think I've done most papers now for LAT, some twice actually, as well as the majority of the Spanish. I find the Spanish ones considerably harder though and can always find something new to lose marks on!
Reply 2
Course: English and French
College: Pembroke, Oxford

Question 4 on the MLAT is especially difficult for me, but question 2 is my best. I've done 3 past papers and am using basically any grammar sheets and books I can find to revise! How is everyone else revising?
Original post by Daisy02
College: Pembroke, Oxford

Question 4 on the MLAT is especially difficult for me, but question 2 is my best. I've done 3 past papers and am using basically any grammar sheets and books I can find to revise! How is everyone else revising?

I think it's good to do a few past papers to get a grasp of what the MLAT is all about but it's even better to practice what you struggle with in terms of grammat in isolation. I know for one I need to go over commands and identifying the imperfect subjunctive this week.

Maybe we could make an insta group chat if we all have it to discuss, could be useful if we get interviews too!
College: Balliol

So glad there's this thread, as I don't know anyone else taking the MLAT so it's nice to be able to talk about it with people!
I'm just trying to practice as much grammar as I can at the moment to prepare.....
Reply 5
Original post by louisaharkness
I think it's good to do a few past papers to get a grasp of what the MLAT is all about but it's even better to practice what you struggle with in terms of grammat in isolation. I know for one I need to go over commands and identifying the imperfect subjunctive this week.

Maybe we could make an insta group chat if we all have it to discuss, could be useful if we get interviews too!

I need to work on exactly the same!
Course: Spanish and Arabic
College: Somerville

I've found the OLAT pretty good so far, the MLAT is definitely more difficult tho. I need to study more grammar :smile:
Does anyone know what would be considered a good mark for either test?
Original post by lucymcg8

I've found the OLAT pretty good so far, the MLAT is definitely more difficult tho. I need to study more grammar :smile:

I've been told you only need about half Marks to get an interview

I was wondering the same...

Hi, I did French at Oxford for undergrad and my masters. I was also an interviewer for undergrad admissions during my masters so if anyone needs any advice for French or just for Modern Languages admissions in general I'd be happy to help.

As for your question about what counts as a good MLAT, my former supervisor told me that offer holders for French tend to have scored 70+ so if you're getting around that then you should be in good shape. (Of course there might be some variation from language to language)

Might be jumping the gun as your priority should be the entrance tests, but here are a few general topics to get you thinking about the themes that often come up at interview.

What is the point of translation? (Think about what goal you want to achieve, what, linguistically speaking that might entail? To what extent must you take into account who you are translating for or what you are translating from?)

Are there any genres that are particularly hard to translate? What does that tell us about the nature of those types of work? Is every translation a 'betrayal' of the original?

What is the difference between poetry and prose?

What is the difference between literature and non-literature? (Does our attitude to language change when dealing with literature? Or when dealing with poetry in particular?)

What makes a work of art political?

To what extent does language shape or even dictate our world view? (Sapir-Whorf hypothesis)

When reading a literary work from the past, should one always try imagine what a reader of the time would have understood?

Is there objective meaning in literature?

How does one's response to a poem differ from one's response to a painting?

What is the difference between a novel and a short story?

Studying literature is about uncovering what the author intended to say. To what extent do you agree with this?

Reading a play is always inferior to watching it on stage. Do you agree?

Helllooo,

What language(s) you want to study: French
The specific Oxford college: Christ Church
General opinions on MLAT (e.g. past papers you've done, how you are finding it etc.): pretty doable, but annoying that there are only marking schemes for the past three years. I find the papers pretty easy, but sometimes prepositions bit tricky
How have you been preparing?: doing as much past papers as possible, going over them with teachers and revising grammar books.

Maybe we can make a gc on insta for all the ML applicants?
I made a gc, drop your @ if you want to be added :smile:
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Fleuryildirim

i've personal messaged u my @ :smile:
Original post by qwertyuiop1993
Hi, I did French at Oxford for undergrad and my masters. I was also an interviewer for undergrad admissions during my masters so if anyone needs any advice for French or just for Modern Languages admissions in general I'd be happy to help.

As for your question about what counts as a good MLAT, my former supervisor told me that offer holders for French tend to have scored 70+ so if you're getting around that then you should be in good shape. (Of course there might be some variation from language to language)

Might be jumping the gun as your priority should be the entrance tests, but here are a few general topics to get you thinking about the themes that often come up at interview.

What is the point of translation? (Think about what goal you want to achieve, what, linguistically speaking that might entail? To what extent must you take into account who you are translating for or what you are translating from?)

Are there any genres that are particularly hard to translate? What does that tell us about the nature of those types of work? Is every translation a 'betrayal' of the original?

What is the difference between literature and non-literature? (Does our attitude to language change when dealing with literature? Or when dealing with poetry in particular?)

To what extent does language shape or even dictate our world view? (Sapir-Whorf hypothesis)

When reading a literary work from the past, should one always try imagine what a reader of the time would have understood?

Studying literature is about uncovering what the author intended to say. To what extent do you agree with this?

thank u so much! thats really helpful
Original post by qwertyuiop1993

Thank you, I'm applying for English and French so that's so useful! Did you have to analyse a French poem as part of your interview?
Original post by katie_nicole
Thank you, I'm applying for English and French so that's so useful! Did you have to analyse a French poem as part of your interview?

Hi, yes it's common for the interviewed to give you a poem or extract from a larger work to analyse in the target language. Sometimes, you'll get something in English. It varies from college to college and getting something in English mostly happens for people applying to a language ab initio.
Original post by louisaharkness
Hello! I am Louisa.
Course: Spanish and Beginners Italian
College:Lincoln

I think I've done most papers now for LAT, some twice actually, as well as the majority of the Spanish. I find the Spanish ones considerably harder though and can always find something new to lose marks on!

I'm glad someone else finds the Spanish MLAT hard - I generally don't know how I'm going to pass any of it.
Original post by Fleuryildirim

my username is louisaroseharkness
Original post by pingbean
I'm glad someone else finds the Spanish MLAT hard - I generally don't know how I'm going to pass any of it.

Sometimes the vocabulary is so oddly specific and I just dont see why I would have everyone come across words like that (such as a spanner or a stowaway). The multiple choice grammar questions at the start test you regardless as my teacher sometimes struggled to mark them for me and even had to get our language assistant to check them!
What do you guys think of the French MLAT? Some years pretty doable, but other years are significantly harder.. I struggle a lot with prepositions

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending