The Student Room Group

University of Liverpool for law?

What’s the general view on the university of Liverpool for law? Given I do well, do placements etc will I be at a disadvantage of an equally strong candidate who went to say Manchester instead?

Scroll to see replies

well most likely yes.

liverpool might be stripped of it's russell group status soon. not that the russell group status matters as much, just the fact that the unis been underperforming massively and they still have the audacity to demand us AAB in our offers gurlbah we're escalating to #oxford.
Original post by cheerIeader
well most likely yes.

liverpool might be stripped of it's russell group status soon. not that the russell group status matters as much, just the fact that the unis been underperforming massively and they still have the audacity to demand us AAB in our offers gurlbah we're escalating to #oxford.

What if i were to perform well and complete a masters at Manchester, or somewhere with a similar reputation?
Original post by cccacademicx
What if i were to perform well and complete a masters at Manchester, or somewhere with a similar reputation?

i mean....if you want to pursue a career in law then would you want to do a masters at all when you could directly apply to do the LPC and progress into your career in law?

it's up to you, if you like the university go ahead and apply to it, the issue is lots of law firms do target certain students from universities and not only because of the reputation but because the uni has stronger connections so they can help with career fairs/graduate prospects i reckon. either way with the right determination you can get anywhere so take my words with a pinch of salt but if we're talking top firms then yes, if you can get into a higher uni e.g manchester, exeter, sheffield standard potentially it may do you favours. x
ignore ^
the difference between liverpool and manchester is basically non-existent.
Reply 5

liverpool might be stripped of it's russell group status soon.

nonsense

this tale originated in a Tab April Fools post over 2 years ago

You might want to hone those critical skills before ye start at harvard
Original post by dyingstudent101
ignore ^
the difference between liverpool and manchester is basically non-existent.

well manchester ranking 17th on the league tables with AAA entry requirements and liverpool at an immense drop of 33-40th suggests otherwise hun. manchester is actually accredited on a global scale compared to liverpool which is unknown and on the irrelevant side of the uni/prospect scale.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by gjd800
nonsense

this tale originated in a Tab April Fools post over 2 years ago

You might want to hone those critical skills before ye start at harvard

well it's a shame it's only part of april fools because at this rate lancaster/st andrews/bath are practically part of the oxbridge tier with the rankings liverpool has been accumulating. just keeping it #real.
Reply 8
well it's a shame it's only part of april fools because at this rate lancaster/st andrews/bath are practically part of the oxbridge tier with the rankings liverpool has been accumulating. just keeping it #real.

peddling fake news

you will make a good lawyer
Original post by gjd800
peddling fake news

you will make a good lawyer

well given the OP wants to make a competitive law applicant, the difference between manchester and liverpool is easily differentiable.
Reply 10
well given the OP wants to make a competitive law applicant, the difference between manchester and liverpool is easily differentiable.

the challenge i made was specific, and you have avoided it
well manchester ranking 17th on the league tables with AAA entry requirements and liverpool at an immense drop of 33-40th suggests otherwise hun. manchester is actually accredited on a global scale compared to liverpool which is unknown and on the irrelevant side of the uni/prospect scale.

Cba to argue with someone who uses bad league tables as a way to form their reasoning
Original post by gjd800
the challenge i made was specific, and you have avoided it

the challenge i made is that graduates from liverpool are less likely to be employed into city firms than manchester.

russell group or not, there are far better universities out there. this thread exists for a reason. one has low entry requirements and the other does not. one is a third-tier university and the other is not.
Reply 13
the challenge i made is that graduates from liverpool are less likely to be employed into city firms than manchester.

russell group or not, there are far better universities out there. this thread exists for a reason. one has low entry requirements and the other does not. one is a third-tier university and the other is not.

i don't care about the rest, only that ms oh-so-smart peddled lazy, avoidable falsehoods
Cba to argue with someone who uses bad league tables as a way to form their reasoning

league tables may not wholly decide whether or not a person thrives in the real world but they're the first indicator.

for someone to even get into a good university for law they'd need good a-levels which an applicant at manchester is much more likely to have; thus making someone from manchester a more competitive applicant when applying to city firms?? proved by graduate prospects. i'm not saying a graduate at liverpool can't do well but ....to keep it #real.

Entry requirements do not mean much
Entry requirements do not mean much

yeah because ABB entry requirements for liverpool really portrays qualities of a top notch high-ranking russell group university and an attractive choice for people who literally want to be seen as 'competitive applicants' in comparison to others.

lower degree results = lower on league tables = less applicants = lower entry requirements = less competitive university
(edited 4 years ago)
league tables may not wholly decide whether or not a person thrives in the real world but they're the first indicator.

for someone to even get into a good university for law they'd need good a-levels which an applicant at manchester is much more likely to have; thus making someone from manchester a more competitive applicant when applying to city firms?? proved by graduate prospects. i'm not saying a graduate at liverpool can't do well but ....to keep it #real.

yeah because ABB entry requirements for liverpool really portrays qualities of a top notch high-ranking russell group university and an attractive choice for people who literally want to be seen as 'competitive applicants' in comparison to others.

lower degree results = lower on league tables = less applicants = lower entry requirements = less competitive university

Not to be rude, but you say ABB arent good grades. What grades did you achieve last year for A-Level?
Not to be rude, but you say ABB arent good grades. What grades did you achieve last year for A-Level?

okay getting personal REALLY really doesn't help you prove a point.

i had my own issues going on which doesn't discredit my straight A*/A GCSE profile & AS grades of A*AA ;p.
liverpool = not as good as other unis get over it lol..
(edited 4 years ago)
okay getting personal REALLY really doesn't help you prove a point.

i had my own issues going on which doesn't discredit my straight A*/A GCSE profile & AS grades of A*AA ;p.
liverpool = not as good as other unis get over it lol..

You can’t get A*AA at AS, the highest grade is an A.

The difference between LSE and Liverpool is huge. It between Manc and Liverpool, you’ll realise soon it’s tiny.

Quick Reply

Latest