The Student Room Group

24 (F) british graduate. I now live and work in China. Fancy a chat?

It's currently my working weekend and I'm really sick and bored out of my mind stuck in my apartment. I can't remember the last time I was on TSR so thought I'd pop in for a chat.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
whats do you work as
Original post by theJoyfulGeek
How is working in China different from the UK? Just out of interest.

I actually get paid a decent wage. I found the job market horrible in the UK and struggled for years. Luckily there is a large demand for native English speakers in China so I was easily able to get my foot in the door starting out as an English teacher.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Joker17
whats do you work as

I'm an English teacher
Original post by SophieSmall
I'm an English teacher

What degree did you get before?
Original post by Shish_bish
What degree did you get before?

My BSc is in Biomedical Science and also a PgDip in International Public Health
Reply 6
no thanks
Original post by gjd800
no thanks

Lmao fair enough
What is your favourite food there and why isn't it Gua bao?
Reply 9
do they treat you differently just because you are a foreigner? was it easy to make friends?
Original post by DiddyDecAlt
What is your favourite food there and why isn't it Gua bao?

Actually had to look that up haha. I've never seen any vendors selling that here. Though I'm sure if I looked hard I'd be able to find it. So far my favourites are dry pot beef (牛肉干锅) and this grilled garlic aubergine they do which is very popular here in Chongqing. I don't know how to write that one.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Ciel.
do they treat you differently just because you are a foreigner? was it easy to make friends?

Most of my friends are fellow expats. But I have been making an effort to make local friends too and I have made some great ones. Along with only dating locals too.

Everyone has been incredibly friendly and patient with me...which is more than I can say for how the British attitude (generally speaking) seems to be towards non fluent immigrants.

As for whether I am treated differently .. Probably but my chinese isnt good enough currently for me to notice yet.
Reply 12
Most of my friends are fellow expats. But I have been making an effort to make local friends too and I have made some great ones. Along with only dating locals too.

Everyone has been incredibly friendly and patient with me...which is more than I can say for how the British attitude (generally speaking) seems to be towards non fluent immigrants.

As for whether I am treated differently .. Probably but my chinese isnt good enough currently for me to notice yet.

aww i see. chinese seems difficult as hell, i would probably die, lol. good luck!
Original post by Ciel.
aww i see. chinese seems difficult as hell, i would probably die, lol. good luck!

It feels very intimidating at first because the language is just built so different to English. But once you get to grips with that, it's really not so bad.
What did u do between graduation and China and what made you go?
It's currently my working weekend and I'm really sick and bored out of my mind stuck in my apartment. I can't remember the last time I was on TSR so thought I'd pop in for a chat.

Have you got a new fob yet? :wink:

Lmao, I barely log into this so was a surprise when I did, clicked on this thread and you turned out to be OP.
Original post by steamed-hams
What did u do between graduation and China and what made you go?

I struggled for around a year only able to land minimum wage unskilled work. Then I dropped everything with 2 weeks notice to do a marketing internship in Dublin. The job there was ****e but I realised a lot about myself and how unhappy I was in the UK and in my life in general. As rash and last minute as the decision was Dublin saved me from wasting more of my life. I love that place. With that I decided to finally take the big risk and move to China. I had wanted to for years. To really challenge myself. Move somewhere completely different, learn a highly employable language and just see where China takes me.
Original post by The_Architect
Have you got a new fob yet? :wink:

Lmao, I barely log into this so was a surprise when I did, clicked on this thread and you turned out to be OP.

My god. The great Fob Debacle of September. What a time. 😂 yes everything is now sorted. I now know where my packages go, how to pay building fees, how to pay my bills. Heck I can even ride the subway...which by the way is by far cleaner, more modern, easier to use and cheaper than Londons.
what did you have to go through to achieve a visa of moving to china? In 9 years time when I'm 21 I would like to move there and do a foreign degree
Original post by StudyBunny33
what did you have to go through to achieve a visa of moving to china? In 9 years time when I'm 21 I would like to move there and do a foreign degree

I had to have a bachelors degree, a clean Criminal record notarised by the UK and Chinese government. A health check and for my job a teaching qualification of some kind.

If you want to study in China your Visa process will be much simpler.

Quick Reply

Latest