The Student Room Group

Physics Help!

I have been doing this problem for a while and want to see if my working out for it is fine?

Here is the question itself:

A cylindrical flywheel of radius 0.93 m and mass 54 kg is used to store energy by spinning.

a) Calculate the rotation frequency (in Hz or s-1) required for it to store 5.6 MJ.
(The moment of inertia of a solid cylinder rotating about its centre is given by ½mr2 )

b) Calculate the time taken for a 412 N force acting tangentially at the flywheel’s radius to accelerate the flywheel to 1911 rpm from rest.

IMG_3232.jpg

IMG_3234.jpg

Much appreciated!
Reply 1
bump
Reply 2
Does it say anything more about the flywheel? The inertia is only
I = mr^2
if all the mass is located at the edge of the wheel. If its uniform, the inertia should be 1/2 of that.

Edit - you have it in brackets that its mr^2/2, so your first page answers are missing this 1/2 factor.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by mqb2766
Does it say anything more about the flywheel? The inertia is only
I = mr^2
if all the mass is located at the edge of the wheel. If its uniform, the inertia should be 1/2 of that.

Edit - you have it in brackets that its mr^2/2, so your first page answers are missing this 1/2 factor.

Yes I see, so in fact my first page answer should be because it's missing a 1/2 factor, the answer would be '77.938... Hz * 1/2 = 38.969... Hz', so my new value is 38.97 Hz (2 dp)?
Reply 4
Original post by Yatayyat
Yes I see, so in fact my first page answer should be because it's missing a 1/2 factor, the answer would be '77.938... Hz * 1/2 = 38.969... Hz', so my new value is 38.97 Hz (2 dp)?

Have you worked this through or are you expecting me to?
You have now less inertia and a slower wheel .... ?
Reply 5
Original post by mqb2766

Wait doesn't less inertia imply that the wheel rotates faster when spinning? Since it has less resistance to its change in motion when a torque (rotational equivalent of a linear resultant force) is applied
Reply 6
Original post by mqb2766

And sorry, I just thought that since I was missing a 1/2 factor in my moment of inertia, if I multiplied my final answer by half would fix the mistake but that isn’t the case here

I redone the problem again and I’m now getting frequency to be 110.2 Hz

CF57415B-E727-47A8-9413-EF8E96A35A4B.jpeg
Reply 7
And sorry, I just thought that since I was missing a 1/2 factor in my moment of inertia, if I multiplied my final answer by half would fix the mistake but that isn’t the case here

I redone the problem again and I’m now getting frequency to be 110.2 Hz

CF57415B-E727-47A8-9413-EF8E96A35A4B.jpeg

Seems ok? Its sqrt(2) larger than before?
Reply 8
Original post by mqb2766
Seems ok? Its sqrt(2) larger than before?

79.938 * sqrt(2) gives 113.049 so close to mine of 110.2

Does my part b look ok?
Reply 9
79.938 * sqrt(2) gives 113.049 so close to mine of 110.2

Does my part b look ok?

Sure, all i was saying is that if the inertia is halved w^2 must be doubled for the same energy. So new angular speed is sqrt(2) * old one. Any difference is a numerical from you on the either the old or new calculation.

Checking b now.

Edit: b) appears fine.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by mqb2766
Sure, all i was saying is that if the inertia is halved w^2 must be doubled for the same energy. So new angular speed is sqrt(2) * old one. Any difference is a numerical from you on the either the old or new calculation.

Checking b now.

Edit: b) appears fine.

Thank you so much! In future I’d try to do it that way as it saves much more time then having to go back and replugging the numbers

Quick Reply

Latest