The Student Room Group

A levels

I am looking to take my a levels again as I failed when I took them at 18 and do not want to take an access course. I am 23 so I count as a mature student but cannot find a collage where they will accept me, does anyone know of any collage that accepts mature students that isnt online? Thanks!
what location are you from? bristol allows mature students but idk if that’s the complete opposite end of the country for you
(edited 4 years ago)
I live near Birmingham. Thanks! As in bristol collage?
Original post by stephaniegarcia
I live near Birmingham. Thanks! As in bristol collage?

yeah, it’s a bit far haha. have you looked at night courses?
Original post by tacobeth
yeah, it’s a bit far haha. have you looked at night courses?

yeah aha, yeah i have but i cant seem to find any near
Reply 5
yeah aha, yeah i have but i cant seem to find any near

considered distance learning?
Original post by satsun
considered distance learning?

yeahh thats actually what im thinking of doing
Reply 7
yeahh thats actually what im thinking of doing

I distance learn one of my a-levels. Check out these sites:

NEC
Oxford Home Learning
Open Study College (check their insta to see materials)
ICS Learn
Cloud Learn
Original post by satsun
I distance learn one of my a-levels. Check out these sites:

NEC
Oxford Home Learning
Open Study College (check their insta to see materials)
ICS Learn
Cloud Learn

okay amazing thank you so much, how did u find studying it on ur own?
Reply 9
okay amazing thank you so much, how did u find studying it on ur own?

I don’t find it too bad, I feel you’ve got to have a reason to be doing it for the motivation. I’m motivated to work to get into Uni. I don’t use my tutor daily, but it’s perfect for marking essays, and making sure I’m on the right track.
I am looking to take my a levels again as I failed when I took them at 18 and do not want to take an access course. I am 23 so I count as a mature student but cannot find a collage where they will accept me, does anyone know of any collage that accepts mature students that isnt online? Thanks!

There are very few FE Colleges now that would offer an A level programme to mature students, and even if you were to find one, it would be extremely expensive. Was there a particular reason you didn't want to do an Access course, given they're essentially free and geared up for people in your position? What do you want to read at uni?
Original post by Reality Check
There are very few FE Colleges now that would offer an A level programme to mature students, and even if you were to find one, it would be extremely expensive. Was there a particular reason you didn't want to do an Access course, given they're essentially free and geared up for people in your position? What do you want to read at uni?

I was looking to study at Edinburgh and they dont accept access courses. So wanted to see if there was a possibility of re doing my A levels. But you are probably right and an access course it most likely the best option
Exeter college does but it might be a bit far to travel
Would probably be better doing an access course
(edited 4 years ago)
I was in the same position about a year ago. I came to accept that doing A-Levels as an adult is essentially impossible unless you're able to pay thousands and/or move halfway around the country. In the end I did access and I don't regret it. There are drawbacks for sure, but you can always tailor your independent study time for the course you want to pursue at university.

I'm on the first year of a Biochemistry degree currently and I feel prepared. The modules are reasonably challenging but not overwhelming. I seem to be doing well on formative assessments, and still find time to study things not directly related to my course.

Access really is your best option. If Edinburgh is really the only well regarded university you could attend - if you're limited to a certain geographical area for example - only then should you consider distance learning to meet their requirements, but I don't think it will deliver the best educational outcomes for you as a student.
Original post by BambiDextrous
I was in the same position about a year ago. I came to accept that doing A-Levels as an adult is essentially impossible unless you're able to pay thousands and/or move halfway around the country. In the end I did access and I don't regret it. There are drawbacks for sure, but you can always tailor your independent study time for the course you want to pursue at university.

I'm on the first year of a Biochemistry degree currently and I feel prepared. The modules are reasonably challenging but not overwhelming. I seem to be doing well on formative assessments, and still find time to study things not directly related to my course.

Access really is your best option. If Edinburgh is really the only well regarded university you could attend - if you're limited to a certain geographical area for example - only then should you consider distance learning to meet their requirements, but I don't think it will deliver the best educational outcomes for you as a student.

Thank you for this! i do agree with you and have now taken the decision to do an access course.
Have you actually spoken to Edinburgh they should accept the access course.
Sometimes they don't list the requirements for access students so you have to phone/email them

Haven't Heard of a university not accepting the access course. Only heard them asking for additional qualifications on top.
(edited 4 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest