The Student Room Group

St Andrews A101 / ScotGEM 2020 Entry

Welcome to the University of St Andrews A101 / ScotGEM 2020 Entry Discussion.

For general information click: https://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/subjects/medicine/scotgem-mbchb-2020/

For entry requirements click: https://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/subjects/medicine/scotgem-mbchb-2020/entry-requirements/academic-requirements/

St Andrews Medicine 2020 Offer Holders thread: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6346122

General TSR rules:
(1) Please don't ask for or post group chat links.
(2) Please don't ask for or post interview questions.
(3) Please don't offer to buy and sell items.

Good luck!

Post originally created by ecolier.
(edited 4 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hi All,
Looking to apply to ScotGEM because I have dual nationality but last time (in undergrad applications) I qualified as a Home/EU student (reduced fees) in the questionnaire. Does anyone know if that carries on or if I’ll have to fill it all out again? (My brothers were classed as Uk so I don’t want to only apply to Scotland if the fees aren’t an incentive).

Also, I wanted to confirm that grads from ScotGEM can practice in the Uk after finishing the course?
Thanks for your help :smile:
Reply 2
Hi All,
Looking to apply to ScotGEM for sept 2020 because I have dual nationality but last time (in undergrad applications) I qualified as a Home/EU student (reduced fees) in the questionnaire. Does anyone know if that carries on or if I’ll have to fill it all out again? (My brothers were classed as Uk so I don’t want to only apply to Scotland if the fees aren’t an incentive).

Also, I wanted to confirm that grads from ScotGEM can practice in the Uk after finishing the course?
Thanks for your help :smile:
Reply 3
Anyone who graduated with a medical degree obtained from a UK med school will be eligible to enter foundation year 1 training.

Post originally created by ecolier.
Online questionnaire received today, how's everybody feeling about it?
I got mine today too. I haven't seen much activity online regarding 2020 applications so i'm hoping not many people applied :tongue: I wonder if the questionnaire is sent to every applicant without screening or was there some degree of screening with questionnaires being sent to probable interview candidates?
Appears to be every applicant from what I gather from last year's thread. What has you interested in the course?
Original post by WorthlessPeon
Appears to be every applicant from what I gather from last year's thread. What has you interested in the course?

The rural placement ( I'm from the west coast of Ireland) and the emphasis on general practice. Plus its significantly cheaper than Ireland's GEM programs.
Ah no way, I'm Irish as well, Dublin based. Totally agree about the fees, emphasis on general practice
Original post by hughie101
The rural placement ( I'm from the west coast of Ireland) and the emphasis on general practice. Plus its significantly cheaper than Ireland's GEM programs.
Ah no way, I'm Irish as well, Dublin based. Totally agree about the fees, emphasis on general practice

Dublin based too, I'm working in clinical research in St.Vincents. How was your GAMSAT & SJTace?
Clinical research will definitely stand to you come interviews - GAMSAT: 61, SJTace: Band 2.
Yourself? :smile:
(edited 4 years ago)
Very good - GAMSAT: 61, SJTace: Band 2.
Yourself?

GAMSAT: 54, SJTace: Band 2. Missed out on UL with a low random number. I'm going to do the GAMSAT again in March but i'm delighted that I can uses my current score for this course, just hoping that it doesn't jump too much. Did you do an volunteering?
Clinical research will definitely stand to you come interviews - GAMSAT: 61, SJTace: Band 2.
Yourself? :smile:

Like the user name :wink: Irishman here too ahaha, looks like we're all going abroad to pursue our dreams
The rural placement ( I'm from the west coast of Ireland) and the emphasis on general practice. Plus its significantly cheaper than Ireland's GEM programme

I'm from the west coast of Ireland too, and completely agree, Irish GEM programmes are so expensive :frown:
Reply 14
Hello ScotGEM applicants. I hope that you are all fairing well.

A spreadsheet is ready for input once interviews start coming out:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1raOdIae0T-QGzOIjGocTqyJpevYz-CSj4SKFn8Dj2kw/edit#gid=2009272060

I'm sure that you may or may not have seen a similar one for 2019. I hope that it was of use to you, if you did see it, and hopefully you can admire the wealth of knowledge accumulated from it that helped out this cohort figure out where to apply.
I know that ScotGEM asks a lot from you guys to do, so if I missed something out, got something wrong or need to add something in, feel free to message me or try it yourself. I don't mind.
Any mistakes are easily correctable with the undo button.

Wish you all good luck throughout the process.
Hi
I'm from London and have also applied for ScotGEM. I was wondering if anyone is aware of around when the interview are for the 2020 entry. From what I've gathered it seems that the 2018 entry was in Dec and 2019 in Feb, but I cant find anything for 2020.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Annie.ken
Hi
I'm from London and have also applied for ScotGEM. I was wondering if anyone is aware of around when the interview are for the 2020 entry. From what I've gathered it seems that the 2018 entry was in Dec and 2019 in Feb, but I cant find anything for 2020.

According to the questionnaire email that was sent out, it will be on the 29th,30th, and 31st January 2020. It's at the bottom of the email :smile:
Original post by steviation
According to the questionnaire email that was sent out, it will be on the 29th,30th, and 31st January 2020. It's at the bottom of the email :smile:

Thank you! I was so tense while filling out the questionnaire that I must have missed it! 🙈
GAMSAT: 54, SJTace: Band 2. Missed out on UL with a low random number. I'm going to do the GAMSAT again in March but i'm delighted that I can uses my current score for this course, just hoping that it doesn't jump too much. Did you do an volunteering?

Hi, I also scored 54 with a SJTace of band 3 (I previously got band 1 so mega annoyed) but like you say I cannot complain because its enough to interview here! so excited to see what happens, best of luck with your application!
Hello all, hope your questionnaires are going okay! I was just checking to see if anyone knows what time the cut-off is on the 18th? Thanks in advance!

Latest

Trending

Trending