The Student Room Group

Revision addiction- A geeks guide to finding success

Hi I'm Sheikh2002 and I'm willing to commit myself to GYG this year to share my A level experience and to help others who need it. I think GYG will help me have a better mental state and most of all I really want to Grow my grades! :biggrin:
I have just been through a draining and stressful time of GCSES so I know how you year 11's are/will be feeling. But it's ok as long as you try your best.:h:

My GCSE results:

Spoiler

I am now taking Biology (AQA) Chemistry (Edexcel) & Maths (AQA) as well as a certificate in Food-tech (WJEC)
So far I'm missing my summer holidays a lot and I'm finding it hard to get back into my revision regime :s-smilie:.

Also we've had some assessments and I've now realized that biology is VERY VERY VERY SPECIFIC! which means you can loose marks quite easily :eek:
So yeah it's a bit of a rough start.....

I want my thread to bring positivity and motivation so we can all get through this academic year together! :smile:

If you have any questions feel free to ask and I hope to commit to this!

Question of the day how are you finding school/college?
(edited 4 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Great GCSE results!

Good luck with year 12 :hugs:
Original post by theJoyfulGeek
Good luck with Bio, Chem, Maths, and Food Tech! Have you decided what you want to do at uni yet?

I'm on half term at the moment, but I'm finding school good. Most of my teachers seem to believe that we shouldn't have lots of homework so we can concentrate on revision, which is cool.

That's great! I'm glad you're happy and i hope it stays that way :smile: !
Enjoy your half-term and what subjects are you taking?
Thank you good luck to you too! I know you'll do great. Currently I'm quite unsure on what to do at uni :s-smilie:i do want to go but I don't know what i should do maybe health sciences? What do you want to do?
Original post by Fazzy_77
Great GCSE results!

Good luck with year 12 :hugs:

Awe thank you!
How are you finding A-levels and what did you take (I know i have asked this before but i have a memory of a gold fish! :redface:)
So today I had a fun day at college because I participated in the University Challenge which was quite fun even though we probably got most of the answers wrong :tongue:.
We did Log in math and were learning about log laws....I'm getting my head around it eventually :redface:
Any useful A-level math resources?:sogood:
Also we did some coordinate geometry exam practice as i have a test on it next week!
In chemistry my teacher was away so we had no teacher and as you may have guessed I didn't do a lot but i did go over Topic 2 a day before and i went over it again today.
After school I enjoy my snack and watch an episode (or 2) of Friends which I LOVE! I really believe it helps me de-stress and divert my mind from revising.
What helps you destress?
Then I sat down and....

Spoiler

If any of you are searching for a good website for Biology,chemistry and Maths. Maths made easy is a really good website as it has loads of exam questions per topic. https://mathsmadeeasy.co.uk/
That's it for today! :biggrin:
What's your favorite Tv show?
Original post by Sheikh2002
Awe thank you!
How are you finding A-levels and what did you take (I know i have asked this before but i have a memory of a gold fish! :redface:)

I'm taking Maths, Economics and Chemistry.
Its okay so far, but getting harder now.
Cool
What maths and chemistry do resources you use?
Hi everyone
So today I'm going to talk about GCSE maths and what resources i found useful.
This applies to the new 9-1 spec as I got my results this summer.
For Maths I would recommend CGP exam practice workbook and CGP practice papers (<these are not the ones in the exam practice book they come in a brown envelope.) They were good because they were challenging and would stretch your brain so you're prepared for the exams.
Also our school gave us log-ins to mymaths and mathswatch which was good to see how well you understand the topics. If you don't have access to them corbet maths is quite good too as it has targeted 5 a day revision questions. On maths is helpful too because it has predicted papers and a ton of questions. https://www.onmaths.com/
But most of all doing Maths exam papers- do every single maths exam paper from your exam board and doing as many exam style questions you can. If you got one question wrong in a test do that question again and similar questions from that topic until you drill those methods into your head.
Make sure you understand the question. One thing that really helped me in my exams was highlighting the key words in a question and i would also use different colored highlighters for circle theorems which i found really useful so i knew which one was which.
Most of all maths will be less complicated if you are 100% secure on your basics. That is key to achieve a grade 7+ in the exams.
Hope it helped :smile:
Question: What subjects are you currently finding difficult?
Summary of resources:
CGP workbook and exam papers
On maths
Maths genie- has exam questions as well as tutorials
Study pug
Corbett maths
My maths
Maths watch
Hegarty maths
(edited 4 years ago)
So my week has been quite stressful as i have had a chemistry and math test which were really hard!:frown:
I got my math test result back today and i got 26/40 which i am not proud of :redface: but i am going to think of it as a learning curve and hopefully improve.
I'll get my chemistry test back tomorrow and i am dreading it!
I have started to use study pug for math which I am finding quite useful especially for log.
I want the holidays to come back already! This term is 9 weeks long and i am already tired of it.
How are you finding school/college @mez_merising @emilynxlan @theJoyfulGeek
How are you finding school/college

Meh it's fine, I've only been in 2 days this week though and haven't really been engaging so :dontknow:
Original post by emilynxlan
Meh it's fine, I've only been in 2 days this week though and haven't really been engaging so :dontknow:

Oh ok cool. I have to go everyday! :s-smilie:
Oh ok cool. I have to go everyday! :s-smilie:

I ended up being really sick mid-week and couldn't come in for a 24 hour period in case I was contageous still.
I ended up being really sick mid-week and couldn't come in for a 24 hour period in case I was contageous still.

Oh no! What happened? Are you better now?

I don’t actually know what happened but I just ended up being really sick on Tuesday night. I feel dad much better now but it’s just strange how it hit me out of nowhere
Hi I'm Sheikh2002 and I'm willing to commit myself to GYG this year to share my A level experience and to help others who need it. I think GYG will help me have a better mental state and most of all I really want to Grow my grades! :biggrin:
I have just been through a draining and stressful time of GCSES so I know how you year 11's are/will be feeling. But it's ok as long as you try your best.:h:

My GCSE results:

Spoiler

I am now taking Biology (AQA) Chemistry (Edexcel) & Maths (AQA) as well as a certificate in Food-tech (WJEC)
So far I'm missing my summer holidays a lot and I'm finding it hard to get back into my revision regime :s-smilie:.

Also we've had some assessments and I've now realized that biology is VERY VERY VERY SPECIFIC! which means you can loose marks quite easily :eek:
So yeah it's a bit of a rough start.....

I want my thread to bring positivity and motivation so we can all get through this academic year together! :smile:

If you have any questions feel free to ask and I hope to commit to this!

Question of the day how are you finding school/college?

I'm finding college quite hard. We have mock week already and my mind is all over the place . I do biology , Chemistry and physics and I am finding biology and chem Ok. However Physics makes me depressed .
Reply 15

Hello there, i am currently studying maths, chemistry and biology, and currently i am finding maths really hard, because i struggle to understand a new concept, and then remember the concept for a period of time. Do you have any advice on how i could do better and achieve an A, thanks
Original post by safia.2002
I'm finding college quite hard. We have mock week already and my mind is all over the place . I do biology , Chemistry and physics and I am finding biology and chem Ok. However Physics makes me depressed .

Same! totally relateable ! Except that chemistry makes me depressed! I like the subject and i understand the content but i just panic in chemistry tests :frown:.
I feel like biology is mainly understanding the concept and some memorizing.
Original post by Azotic
Hello there, i am currently studying maths, chemistry and biology, and currently i am finding maths really hard, because i struggle to understand a new concept, and then remember the concept for a period of time. Do you have any advice on how i could do better and achieve an A, thanks

Hi! (Snap! We're doing the same subjects!:biggrin:) I would recommend study pug because the teachers are really good and find easy ways to tackle a problem. They also have a youtube channel that has some videos so you can see if you like their teaching style. They also give a free 7 day trial if you buy their monthly package but you can cancel it anytime. I purchased the annual package because it was cheaper and I'm loving it because i can go over the content whenever i want and go ahead of my class. I find that the content is simplified which i like so my understanding has improved too.
But to be honest you need to be secure with your basics E.G Quadratic formula, properties of lines etc.
What did you get at GCSE and what exam board are you doing?
How are you finding biology and chemistry? :h:
I don’t actually know what happened but I just ended up being really sick on Tuesday night. I feel dad much better now but it’s just strange how it hit me out of nowhere

At least you're better now :smile:
Same! totally relateable ! Except that chemistry makes me depressed! I like the subject and i understand the content but i just panic in chemistry tests :frown:.
I feel like biology is mainly understanding the concept and some memorizing.

Biology is mainly content and thats why revising marks schemes and the textbook is all I need to get an A. However doing all sciences means that I have all my exams crammed in one week. I don't have time to revise biology because physics is my priority - I got a really bad grade in AS.And then chemistry is fine when we are doing ppqs in class but when i actually sit the exam there'll be a question thats worded so weirdly that i have to read it like 3 times to understand it . And I thought mechanisms in AS were a lot to learn but in a level there's way more of mechanism to learn.

Quick Reply

Latest