The Student Room Group

How do you typically handwrite the number seven?

Ahhhh, yes the natural number seven. :daydreaming: In handwriting, there are typically two widely used glyphs:

The 'traditional' Hindu way; possibly with curved lines:

Or........

The 'European' way (also common in Latin America), with a line or slash drawn through the center:

Which way do you write it? :holmes:

(I write in the 'traditional' Hindu way, in case anyone was wondering). :smile:

Scroll to see replies

I use what you call the European way. This enables those who use serifs on their numbers to distinguish it from a 1.
the original way is a hindu way?
say whaaaaat?
Reply 3
‘European’ way
European way
both, sometimes even in the same number
With a line through it because my handwriting's atrocious but sometimes my 1's and 7's end up looking similar anyway :colonhash:
Reply 7
I sort of phased in the slash during the past couple of years; not really sure why.
European
Original post by Good bloke
I use what you call the European way. This enables those who use serifs on their numbers to distinguish it from a 1.

There's no escaping serif, is there? :grumble: :colone:
The hindu method because it is quicker and I am lazy.
Original post by Irregularity
Ahhhh, yes the natural number seven. :daydreaming: In handwriting, there are typically two widely used glyphs:

The 'traditional' Hindu way; possibly with curved lines:

Or........

The 'European' way (also common in Latin America), with a line or slash drawn through the center:

Which way do you write it? :holmes:

(I write in the 'traditional' Hindu way, in case anyone was wondering). :smile:

European
Depending how edgy I'm feeling, I may write 'VII', otherwise it's the European version for me :smile:

On a side note, I've found learning roman numerals really helps when you're out and about with old architecture. You can read the year of establishment etc e.g. MCMXCVI = 1996
Original post by CTLeafez
Depending how edgy I'm feeling, I may write 'VII', otherwise it's the European version for me :smile:

On a side note, I've found learning roman numerals really helps when you're out and about with old architecture. You can read the year of establishment etc e.g. MCMXCVI = 1996

Or even on monuments, such as the Wilberforce monument outside the Hull College main tower block building. :fyi:

I write the date using a roman numeral for the month. For example, 13 June 2019 would be 13/vi/19, and '13 June' would be 13/vi. This has the advantage of making it clear which is the month: our American friends would read '10/6/19' as 6 October 2019, not as we would read it 10 June. Using a roman numeral for the month makes this distinction clearer.
Original post by Reality Check
I write the date using a roman numeral for the month. For example, 13 June 2019 would be 13/vi/19, and '13 June' would be 13/vi. This has the advantage of making it clear which is the month: our American friends would read '10/6/19' as 6 October 2019, not as we would read it 10 June. Using a roman numeral for the month makes this distinction clearer.

I've never heard of that system with a Roman numeral month. Do your American colleagues know about this system of the month being the numeral?
my 1s and 7s look really different anyway so i dont need a slash in the 7
I've never heard of that system with a Roman numeral month. Do your American colleagues know about this system of the month being the numeral?

No, that's the funny thing. They just think I'm a wacky Brit!! :lol: I've always written dates this way, though.
I use the 7 with the line through it :smile: my dad always did it that way and I must have copied that. None of my teachers have ever used the the dash through the seven for some reason.
Original post by Reality Check
No, that's the funny thing. They just think I'm a wacky Brit!! :lol: I've always written dates this way, though.

Hey, no shame in being wacky. :hand:

Quick Reply

Latest