The Student Room Group

Is it alright to not be doing English (Highers)

To put it simply, the uni course I am going for doesn’t require any level of English, and neither do my back-up options. I did get an A in English last year but just hate the subject with a passion, so I decided to take Games Development instead of English this year (to have a hopefully less stressful year and get a subject that could be really useful). Am I at any major disadvantage for not doing the higher English? I might pick it up next year but not sure :/
Original post by f1zzycola
To put it simply, the uni course I am going for doesn’t require any level of English, and neither do my back-up options. I did get an A in English last year but just hate the subject with a passion, so I decided to take Games Development instead of English this year (to have a hopefully less stressful year and get a subject that could be really useful). Am I at any major disadvantage for not doing the higher English? I might pick it up next year but not sure :/

No, I wouldn’t say it’s a bad option. If it’s not required for uni then you shouldn’t be too worried :smile:

Nope, if it's not required for what you want to do, it's all good :smile:

What course do you want to do at university? What Highers are you doing this year and what do you need for your course? What are you considering doing next year? :rambo:
Reply 4
Original post by Quick-use
What course do you want to do at university? What Highers are you doing this year and what do you need for your course? What are you considering doing next year? :rambo:

Ideally I’d like to do an Ethical Hacking course at Abertay (seems really interesting) but if I can’t get into that I’ll probably try go into games development. Right now I am taking Higher Maths, Physics, Computing Science, Music technology, and Games dev, next year hopefully the same set-up but advanced highers instead (might drop Music tech)
Ideally I’d like to do an Ethical Hacking course at Abertay (seems really interesting) but if I can’t get into that I’ll probably try go into games development. Right now I am taking Higher Maths, Physics, Computing Science, Music technology, and Games dev, next year hopefully the same set-up but advanced highers instead (might drop Music tech)

Hi @f1zzycola,

Speaking as someone who did Higher English, and after looking at the requirements put forward by Abertay University for both the Ethical Hacking course and Games Development course, I don't believe you'll be missing out on anything, especially for what you want to do at university. The Higher English course is more so about developing your ability to analyse text and to think critically about language and how to use it to be a better writer. While it may help with the Honours side of your degree, due to the individual project requiring a whole lot of work and writing, I doubt that you wouldn't be prepared for this through the previous three years of your degree.

I hope this answers your question and puts your mind at ease. To put it bluntly: no, you do not need Higher English in your personal circumstances! :smile:

Good luck!
Reply 6
Original post by Snookdoggy
Hi @f1zzycola,

Speaking as someone who did Higher English, and after looking at the requirements put forward by Abertay University for both the Ethical Hacking course and Games Development course, I don't believe you'll be missing out on anything, especially for what you want to do at university. The Higher English course is more so about developing your ability to analyse text and to think critically about language and how to use it to be a better writer. While it may help with the Honours side of your degree, due to the individual project requiring a whole lot of work and writing, I doubt that you wouldn't be prepared for this through the previous three years of your degree.

I hope this answers your question and puts your mind at ease. To put it bluntly: no, you do not need Higher English in your personal circumstances! :smile:

Good luck!

Thanks! I am somewhat used to doing a lot of writing with my work due to taking Music Technology (EVERYTHING has to be wrote down in full detail) and games dev (which is very similar). I hope everything turns out alright!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending