The Student Room Group

A Level Maths Help?

Hi,
Im struggling on these maths questions and I was wondering if anyone could help. I can't seem to figure out question 2 or question 3c. I would be very grateful for any help,
Thank you.
Original post by SkyRunner61
There you go

Thank you so much, you're a life saver
There you go

Do you by any chance have the answers to the other parts of 3?
Original post by pashionfruiit
Do you by any chance have the answers to the other parts of 3?

In terms of how to solve the other parts, we know that l1 is perpendicular to l2, so we can work out that gradient so we can form an equation for y with unknown c. Equally, we know that l2 just touches the circle, so there is just one solution if we sub in our equation for y into the equation of the circle. By using the discriminant, you can work out possible values of c and thus the value of c needed.

For (e), we have to work out the coordinates of E and P, which part (d) will help you with. Then calculate the area of the triangle.
In terms of how to solve the other parts, we know that l1 is perpendicular to l2, so we can work out that gradient so we can form an equation for y with unknown c. Equally, we know that l2 just touches the circle, so there is just one solution if we sub in our equation for y into the equation of the circle. By using the discriminant, you can work out possible values of c and thus the value of c needed.

For (e), we have to work out the coordinates of E and P, which part (d) will help you with. Then calculate the area of the triangle.

Thank you so much!
Can i have some help with this problem please:
The jokes in the Christmas crackers sold by a well known supermarket are written by 3 comedians: Andrew, Beryl and Charlie. Beryl is the most prolific writer, writing 55% of the jokes, with Andrew and Charlie writing 30% and 15% respectively. 98% of Andrew’s jokes are puns and 95% of Beryl’s jokes are puns, whilst only 90% of Charlie’s jokes are puns. Suppose you pull a cracker and find that the joke inside is not a pun. (i) What is the probability that Andrew wrote the joke? (ii) What is the probability that Beryl wrote the joke? (iii) What is the probability that Charlie wrote the joke?
Reply 7
Original post by farhanaktar
1571845132080222092295.jpg

Repeated thread (addition to). You've actually solved the problem now on your own thread.

Quick Reply

Latest