The Student Room Group

If you could create a GCSE, what would it be?

There are tons of random GCSEs out there, from Commerce to Travel & Tourism to Geology, so if you had the power, what would you make your own GCSE?

What content would it cover, and how many do you think would take it?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Digitidal
There are tons of random GCSEs out there, from Commerce to Travel & Tourism to Geology, so if you had the power, what would you make your own GCSE?

Cat psychology :smile:
Reply 2
A good music gcse, for current music, not classical.
Reply 3
Original post by CrazyKittenLady
Cat psychology :smile:

You joke but that'd genuinely be pretty cool. A Comparative Psychology GCSE would be useful since I don't think the current Psych GCSE covers much animal-related content, if any
Reply 4
Original post by max809r
A good music gcse, for current music, not classical.

Yeah; They should definitely be distinguished, because I feel a lot of students pick music without knowing what they're getting into.
GCSE Sleeping
Reply 6
Original post by Sannah 21
GCSE Sleeping

Lmao, you couldn't do well it if u wanted to do well in ur others tho
Comparative literature.

At university, due to the nature of my languages degree, I had the privilege to study literature from the Hispanic, Francophone and Japanese states spanning from the 12th century until present day. I also had the utmost privilege to take a brilliant module called Fantasy and Magical Realism in Contemporary Comparative Literature during my year abroad in Tokyo at Sophia University under Professor Matthew Stretcher. We looked at Italian, French, Hispanic, German, Albanian, Japanese, Korean, British and American literature all the while closely analysing and comparing each text's socio-economic, political and philosophical backdrop.

The course was an amalgamation of literature, history, politics, philosophy, languages and so much more all rolled into one. I can't stress how much I learned every time I went to a seminar or I did independent study. Some of my favourite literature were introduced to me through that course too. :rambo:

It really would be a perfect GCSE or A level course. :moon:

i Would make a GCSE covering Social media influencing because in this age there are so many tik tok stars, instagram stars, youtubers i think a lot of people would want to take it probably a cohort of 10,000-20,000 and make sure grade 9's in this really had the knowledge to make it big on social media and i think people would enjoy this rather than having to do media studies and study other forms of media on the side i would make sure there was a coursework element where candidates had to make their own instagram, tik tok or youtube
Reply 9
Original post by Quick-use
Comparative literature.

At university, due to the nature of my languages degree, I had the privilege to study literature from the Hispanic, Francophone and Japanese states spanning from the 12th century until present day. I also had the utmost privilege to take a brilliant module called Fantasy and Magical Realism in Contemporary Comparative Literature during my year abroad in Tokyo at Sophia University under Professor Matthew Stretcher. We looked at Italian, French, Hispanic, German, Albanian, Japanese, Korean, British and American literature all the while closely analysing and comparing each text's socio-economic, political and philosophical backdrop.

The course was an amalgamation of literature, history, politics, philosophy, languages and so much more all rolled into one. I can't stress how much I learned every time I went to a seminar or I did independent study. Some of my favourite literature were introduced to me through that course too. :rambo:

It really would be a perfect GCSE or A level course. :moon:

There's somewhat of a GCSE for this already, run by CIE - iGCSE World Literature. It covers English, American, Nigerian, Indian, Chinese and more literature from across the world, and part of studying their context involves learning about the socio-political background of the novel and author as well as their political ideologies which were often distinctive due to their nation.
Lmao, you couldn't do well it if u wanted to do well in ur others tho

😏😏
It can be equivalent to 10 GCSE’s or how many ppl do normally 😏
Reply 11
Original post by liamlarner
i Would make a GCSE covering Social media influencing because in this age there are so many tik tok stars, instagram stars, youtubers i think a lot of people would want to take it probably a cohort of 10,000-20,000 and make sure grade 9's in this really had the knowledge to make it big on social media and i think people would enjoy this rather than having to do media studies and study other forms of media on the side i would make sure there was a coursework element where candidates had to make their own instagram, tik tok or youtube

Oh, so instead of a theory-based subject like Media Studies, an applied Social Media Growth course?

I initially took it as somewhat of a joke, but considering more and more people, especially in Western Europe and the UK, are becoming YouTubers as their full-time profession, I don't see why not.

It might end up being a 'soft' subject though, or something considered kin to Sports Science.
You joke but that'd genuinely be pretty cool. A Comparative Psychology GCSE would be useful since I don't think the current Psych GCSE covers much animal-related content, if any

Haha I wasn't actually joking I think that would be awesome too :smile:
Reply 13
Original post by CrazyKittenLady
Haha I wasn't actually joking I think that would be awesome too :smile:

The best part of the subject would be the practicals; Imagine you roll up to class and there are 5 kittens rolling around the desk
The best part of the subject would be the practicals; Imagine you roll up to class and there are 5 kittens rolling around the desk

OMG that would be the best!!!!!!!
Original post by Sannah 21
GCSE Sleeping

I would still fail this :frown:
Reply 16
Original post by Evil Homer
I would still fail this :frown:

Not enough hours in a day!
GCSE Common Sense.

With no foundation tier.
Original post by Reality Check
GCSE Common Sense.