The Student Room Group

A Level History Coursework - The Causes of the First World War

So I'm in a spot of bother because I've left this so late but I'm really struggling with finding historians interpretations for my history coursework. My question is "To what extent was nationalism the main cause that led to the outbreak of WW1?". Obviously I'm gonna disagree with this but first things first I need 2 historians to write about. My teacher suggested 1, AJP Taylor, but I'm pretty stuck as to the second one. Any help would be appreciated.
Original post by HansZimmeritt
So I'm in a spot of bother because I've left this so late but I'm really struggling with finding historians interpretations for my history coursework. My question is "To what extent was nationalism the main cause that led to the outbreak of WW1?". Obviously I'm gonna disagree with this but first things first I need 2 historians to write about. My teacher suggested 1, AJP Taylor, but I'm pretty stuck as to the second one. Any help would be appreciated.

Christopher Clark, Samuel Williamson, Fritz Fischer, Sean McMeekin... The list is endless.
Original post by ageshallnot
Christopher Clark, Samuel Williamson, Fritz Fischer, Sean McMeekin... The list is endless.

Cheers!
Cheers!

Make sure that the ones you pick differ strongly in their views.
Well Taylor argues that it was a pan-European mobilisation contest whereas Fischer argues that the war was caused solely by German aggression. Does this sound like enough contrast?
Well Taylor argues that it was a pan-European mobilisation contest whereas Fischer argues that the war was caused solely by German aggression. Does this sound like enough contrast?

Fischer contrasts with most modern historians. (Though don't do what another TSR member did a while back and tried to use him and James Joll.)

Is Taylor up to date enough? Showing my age I heard him deliver his 'trains' lecture in person many years ago and he was mesmerising. However, is it a deep enough explanation? (That's for you to decide.)

McMeekin is an easy one as he blames Russia mostly.
Original post by ageshallnot
Fischer contrasts with most modern historians. (Though don't do what another TSR member did a while back and tried to use him and James Joll.)

Is Taylor up to date enough? Showing my age I heard him deliver his 'trains' lecture in person many years ago and he was mesmerising. However, is it a deep enough explanation? (That's for you to decide.)

McMeekin is an easy one as he blames Russia mostly.

I'm not too sure in regards to Taylor - the only reason I had him as my first historian is because he was recommended to be by a teacher. I'll take a look at McMeekin too; as my question lists nationalism as a key cause, having two historians with different interpretations that revolve around two contrasting nations could be incredibly useful. I'll also look again at the rest of the original list you provided. Thanks again for all the help!
I'm not too sure in regards to Taylor - the only reason I had him as my first historian is because he was recommended to be by a teacher. I'll take a look at McMeekin too; as my question lists nationalism as a key cause, having two historians with different interpretations that revolve around two contrasting nations could be incredibly useful. I'll also look again at the rest of the original list you provided. Thanks again for all the help!

Let me know how you get on with them. Fischer isn't an easy read, but you might find less contrast between Taylor and McMeekin because (if my memory serves me well) of their use of Russian mobilization as a key point in their argument.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending