The Student Room Group

Optometry 2020 Entry

Hi guys, I'm Interested in applying for optometry next year I'm going into year 13 after summer holidays. I'm looking at Manchester and Bradford University for Optom since they're pretty decent on the league tables. University choices are limited since there are only 14 institutions that offer Optometry some of which don't offer optom they only offer Orthoptics. So in reality there is like 12 Universities that offer Optom (Sheffield and Liverpool University don't offer Optom they only offer Orthoptics). I'm interested to see if anybody else is interested in applying for Optometry for 2020 entry as well please let me know.

Scroll to see replies

Hi there! I’m interested in doing optometry too, i went to the manchester open day in May and loved it but with the grade boundaries being so high (AAB) and with me struggling with Chemistry ALevel, at the moment i don’t think i’m likely to get those grades (however fingers crossed!) What ALevels are you doing and how are you finding them? Xx
I'm doing Maths, Biology and Economics. To get into Optometry at any UK University you need AAB. But I'm hoping Uni's will be lenient taking into account how hard these new spec exams are.
I know that at Cardiff they lower it to ABB if you get an A in the EPQ
Huddersfield University has recently opened an Optometry school but they are not quite GOC accredited yet. They only accept 30 Students onto their course as well.
Reply 5
Original post by username4794434
Hi guys, I'm Interested in applying for optometry next year I'm going into year 13 after summer holidays. I'm looking at Manchester and Bradford University for Optom since they're pretty decent on the league tables. University choices are limited since there are only 14 institutions that offer Optometry some of which don't offer optom they only offer Orthoptics. So in reality there is like 12 Universities that offer Optom (Sheffield and Liverpool University don't offer Optom they only offer Orthoptics). I'm interested to see if anybody else is interested in applying for Optometry for 2020 entry as well please let me know.

Hey, I'm really interested in applying for optom too! I only really want to apply to aston because the course is supposed to be really good but I'm thinking of Cardiff and ulster too! Do you think that because there aren't that many universities that offer optom that it's more competitive to get in?
Hey, I’m applying for optometry for 2020 entry also. I really like Aston and Cardiff so far, not sure about any other options. When’s everyone thinking of sending their applications off?
Reply 7
Hey, I'm also thinking of applying for optometry for 2020 entry and I am also thinking of applying to Aston as that is the closest to me. Did anyone do any work experience? I was wondering if Aston asks for work experience.
Original post by Inas24
Hey, I'm also thinking of applying for optometry for 2020 entry and I am also thinking of applying to Aston as that is the closest to me. Did anyone do any work experience? I was wondering if Aston asks for work experience.

All unis have a big emphasis on work experience esp Aston, Manchester and Cardiff
I was thinking Manchester and Bradford too. I am applying for 2020, and my subjects are chemistry, maths and further maths.
Reply 10
I've got an interview at manchester for December and I've got an offer from city, uni of London. I sent my application in last week. Still waiting on aston and cardiff though. I did a fair amount of work experience
Original post by Fir0za
I've got an interview at manchester for December and I've got an offer from city, uni of London. I sent my application in last week. Still waiting on aston and cardiff though. I did a fair amount of work experience

What were your gcse grades and what are your predicted grades?
Original post by Inas24

Yeah, I think most universities like to see some form of work experience
Original post by Fir0za

Congrats on the offer and best of luck for the interview! May I ask what work experience you’ve done?
Reply 14
Original post by CinnamonRoll
Congrats on the offer and best of luck for the interview! May I ask what work experience you’ve done?

Thank you, I did work experience at an opticians on two separate occasions and I also did some at a primary school. I also went the oxford summer school last summer but that was for something unrelated. I don't think the quantity of work experience really matters, more how you talk about what you gained from it
Original post by Fir0za
Thank you, I did work experience at an opticians on two separate occasions and I also did some at a primary school. I also went the oxford summer school last summer but that was for something unrelated. I don't think the quantity of work experience really matters, more how you talk about what you gained from it

Yeah I currently work at an opticians so my PS is mainly filled with that. Which universities are your top choices?
Reply 16
Yeah I currently work at an opticians so my PS is mainly filled with that. Which universities are your top choices?

Aston because I that's the closest to me. I've applied to others but I'm not really that fussed about those. What about you? Where have u applied to?
Original post by Fir0za
Aston because I that's the closest to me. I've applied to others but I'm not really that fussed about those. What about you? Where have u applied to?

I haven’t sent off my application yet, I’ll probably send it after half-term. I really like Aston, Cardiff, UWE and Manchester but my top two are Aston & Cardiff
Original post by Fir0za

Hi I want to do Optometry too!
I got invited for an interview at Manchester in December as well. Is yours on the 4th? (mine is).
I also applied to Cardiff and Aston (as well as Bradford and UWE in Bristol). I sent my application about 3 weeks ago, but so far only heard from Manchester.
I haven’t sent off my application yet, I’ll probably send it after half-term. I really like Aston, Cardiff, UWE and Manchester but my top two are Aston & Cardiff

Hi, my favourites are Cardiff and Aston too! I didn't go to the Aston Open Day (I didn't have chance as it clashed with other open days) but I did do the Study Day last year (around november/december). I'm assuming you went to the Aston open day, was it good?
I didn't go to the UWE open day either (but applied there anyway :biggrin:) - did you go?, if so, was it good?
good luck with your application

Latest