The Student Room Group

A-Levels

Is this a good a-level combination for engineering, economics, maths or accounting and finance?
Maths
Further Maths
Physics
Also if I were to do economics would I be at a disadvantage for not doing economics at A-level?
Hi there.

Maths, Further Maths and Physics as far as I’m aware would enable you to do any of the degrees you mentioned.

With regards to your question about economics - it depends on the Uni. If you would consider doing economics at top Unis (Oxbridge, UCL, Durham, LSE, Warwick etc) then whilst explicitly you would still meet the entry requirements, you would be at a disadvantage compared to those who had studied economics. But - this is something that could be pretty much fixed through a fair bit of extra reading and super curriculars, which could also show your passion for economics. You’d just have to play catch up and put a fair bit of time in to give yourself the best shot at making a competitive application (mainly needed for your personal statement).

If you’re planning to go for Oxbridge, LSE or Warwick I’d say though getting an offer would be considerably more difficult. Again, you would need to work hard over the Year 12 summer to read up on economics a fair bit.

However, all that being said - Maths, Further maths and Physics is an academically rigorous and respected combination. You’re better off doing them and getting A/A*s than doing Maths, Further maths and economics and hating it. Your chosen combination will still keep many doors open, and whilst you would be at a bit of a disadvantage for top economics Uni courses, if you really worked hard and did a lot of extra reading you would still have every chance. Good luck!
Reply 2
Original post by Mona123456
Hi there.

Maths, Further Maths and Physics as far as I’m aware would enable you to do any of the degrees you mentioned.

With regards to your question about economics - it depends on the Uni. If you would consider doing economics at top Unis (Oxbridge, UCL, Durham, LSE, Warwick etc) then whilst explicitly you would still meet the entry requirements, you would be at a disadvantage compared to those who had studied economics. But - this is something that could be pretty much fixed through a fair bit of extra reading and super curriculars, which could also show your passion for economics. You’d just have to play catch up and put a fair bit of time in to give yourself the best shot at making a competitive application (mainly needed for your personal statement).

If you’re planning to go for Oxbridge, LSE or Warwick I’d say though getting an offer would be considerably more difficult. Again, you would need to work hard over the Year 12 summer to read up on economics a fair bit.

However, all that being said - Maths, Further maths and Physics is an academically rigorous and respected combination. You’re better off doing them and getting A/A*s than doing Maths, Further maths and economics and hating it. Your chosen combination will still keep many doors open, and whilst you would be at a bit of a disadvantage for top economics Uni courses, if you really worked hard and did a lot of extra reading you would still have every chance. Good luck!

thx, what about for manchester or any other Russell Group economics?
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Rolo1234
thx, what about for manchester or any other Russell Group economics?

Most other RG Unis (basically anything that isn’t Oxbridge, LSE or Warwick) will likely be fine as long as you have a Maths A Level and show passion for economics (eg through extra reading) in your personal statement. Taking Further Maths will strengthen your application for all Universities too.
Also if I were to do economics would I be at a disadvantage for not doing economics at A-level?

No disadvantage, they only really care about Maths A level. It's easy enough to find this information from uni websites, like this example from Warwick below

https://warwick.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses-2020/economics/
If you get the option to do an EPQ, maybe write it on something that links to economics to show your passionate about it. Nonetheless, you’ll be accepted with those subjects because they are all facilitating and demonstrate a high maths ability.
Reply 6
Hi there.

Hello I want to ask 1 more thing: Out of Maths,Further Maths,Economics and Physics, which 3 A-levels should I choose to have the best possible outcome at each of the degrees I mentioned above?
Hello I want to ask 1 more thing: Out of Maths,Further Maths,Economics and Physics, which 3 A-levels should I choose to have the best possible outcome at each of the degrees I mentioned above?

This is incredibly difficult to answer. Ideally, you need to narrow down your degree choices further;

Physics/Maths/Engineering = Maths, Physics and Further Maths

Economics/Accountancy/Finance = Maths, Further Maths and Economics

However, for top Unis, some may only accept Further Maths as a fourth A Level. In an ideal world, taking Maths, Physics and Economics alongside Further Maths AS (instead of an EPQ or any other enrichment) would be the best idea. If you can only do three A Levels, I’d check top Unis you’d be interested in to see if they allow Further Maths as one of three A Levels. If they do, I’d say Maths, Further Maths and Physics, purely because top Unis for economics would still consider you if you had a strong application (as far as I know, none outright require economics A Level); on the other hand, for Physics/Maths/Engineering at top Unis, Maths, Physics and Further Maths would pretty much be needed outright or as an implied condition. However, this is still not optimal—if you had the option to take economics but didn’t, top Unis for economics will question why you didn’t take it.

As already outlined, I would aim to do Maths, Physics, Economics A Levels then Further Maths AS to truly keep all your options open. If you can’t do this, try and narrow down your degree choices and look at which A Levels the Unis you’re interested in require specifically (in most cases, if they aren’t the super competitive ones then Maths, Physics and Economics A Levels without any further maths would be fine).

If in all doubt, try and speak to a teacher or careers counsellor at school, or just consider ultimately which three you’d enjoy more and do better at. Good luck!
Reply 8
This is incredibly difficult to answer. Ideally, you need to narrow down your degree choices further;

Physics/Maths/Engineering = Maths, Physics and Further Maths

Economics/Accountancy/Finance = Maths, Further Maths and Economics

However, for top Unis, some may only accept Further Maths as a fourth A Level. In an ideal world, taking Maths, Physics and Economics alongside Further Maths AS (instead of an EPQ or any other enrichment) would be the best idea. If you can only do three A Levels, I’d check top Unis you’d be interested in to see if they allow Further Maths as one of three A Levels. If they do, I’d say Maths, Further Maths and Physics, purely because top Unis for economics would still consider you if you had a strong application (as far as I know, none outright require economics A Level); on the other hand, for Physics/Maths/Engineering at top Unis, Maths, Physics and Further Maths would pretty much be needed outright or as an implied condition. However, this is still not optimal—if you had the option to take economics but didn’t, top Unis for economics will question why you didn’t take it.

As already outlined, I would aim to do Maths, Physics, Economics A Levels then Further Maths AS to truly keep all your options open. If you can’t do this, try and narrow down your degree choices and look at which A Levels the Unis you’re interested in require specifically (in most cases, if they aren’t the super competitive ones then Maths, Physics and Economics A Levels without any further maths would be fine).

If in all doubt, try and speak to a teacher or careers counsellor at school, or just consider ultimately which three you’d enjoy more and do better at. Good luck!

Thank you very much, your so much help. I will just stick to Maths, Physics and economics. Thank you again
Thank you very much, your so much help. I will just stick to Maths, Physics and economics. Thank you again

You’re welcome. Good luck with your studies and I hope things work out for you. Best of luck!
Reply 10
You’re welcome. Good luck with your studies and I hope things work out for you. Best of luck!

You too!!!
Reply 11
If start off with economics as a fourth a level in year 12, and then maybe you decide at the end of year 12 which option you find better.

Quick Reply

Latest