The Student Room Group

history 16 markers

my history teacher told us that we get no marks for writing introduction? but my teacher last year told us we should write one so idk what to do. any advice?
Original post by E.ky
my history teacher told us that we get no marks for writing introduction? but my teacher last year told us we should write one so idk what to do. any advice?

Hi, is this for GCSE or A Level (and which exam board?).
Original post by Mona123456
Hi, is this for GCSE or A Level (and which exam board?).

omg i forgot to mention!! gcse and edexcel
For 16 markers you should always include a short intro with a summary of the points you’re gonna include and the criteria which you’re going to judge your points on
Original post by E.ky
omg i forgot to mention!! gcse and edexcel

Okay. I’ve just had a look and definitely do an introduction - just a few lines/small paragraph though. You should outline whether you agree/disagree, to what extent and outline your main arguments briefly. My structure for the essays (16 marks + 4 SPAG questions) was introduction, three points then conclusion. If I mainly agreed with the statement I did 2 points for agree and one counter point, otherwise vice versa. Hope this helps!

Edit: just reread your original post. You may not get marks for it explicitly but a succinct and clear introduction immediately give the examiner an impression about your argument, knowledge and communication skills. It’s also just a normal, good essay structure to have a brief introduction. So whilst I agree it may not get marks per se, it can get marks implicitly and help to give a positive impression of the essay and where you’re going with your argument.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Mona123456
Okay. I’ve just had a look and definitely do an introduction - just a few lines/small paragraph though. You should outline whether you agree/disagree, to what extent and outline your main arguments briefly. My structure for the essays (16 marks + 4 SPAG questions) was introduction, three points then conclusion. If I mainly agreed with the statement I did 2 points for agree and one counter point, otherwise vice versa. Hope this helps!

Edit: just reread your original post. You may not get marks for it explicitly but a succinct and clear introduction immediately give the examiner an impression about your argument, knowledge and communication skills. It’s also just a normal, good essay structure to have a brief introduction. So whilst I agree it may not get marks per se, it can get marks implicitly and help to give a positive impression of the essay and where you’re going with your argument.

thanks sm!! i’ll defo include an introduction!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending