The Student Room Group

General Election

Scroll to see replies

I will have to vote Tory again as my local MP, Richard Drax, is an out and out brexiteer.
Our neighbours in West Dorset are likely to vote in a brexiteer to replace Mr Letwin too.
Hopefully this will be the last time I ever have to do what 10 years ago would have seemed impossible to me and put my cross in that box.
I would probably vote Labour for the first time ever, I don't think they can **** it up worse than the Tories.
I will be voting Tory, we have a great opportunity to win a majority.
Original post by Rakas21
I will be voting Tory, we have a great opportunity to win a majority.

Out of interest do you trust Tories to keep their word in light of the evidence?
Original post by DiddyDecAlt
Out of interest do you trust Tories to keep their word in light of the evidence?

Depends on the specific issue and if you are talking about party or leader.

Boris cannot be trusted beyond Brexit however his destiny is to be knifed before his first term is complete so I’m quite supportive of him delivering Brexit and winning the election.
Original post by Rakas21
Depends on the specific issue and if you are talking about party or leader.

Boris cannot be trusted beyond Brexit however his destiny is to be knifed before his first term is complete so I’m quite supportive of him delivering Brexit and winning the election.

I work in the Healthcare sector in the loosest of terms, there has been a lot of promises over the last decade but not a lot of action.
Where is the Brexit party? They are polling decently.
Original post by DiddyDecAlt
I work in the Healthcare sector in the loosest of terms, there has been a lot of promises over the last decade but not a lot of action.

Generally speaking i don't think the three parties differ greatly on healthcare at all so i would expect the status-quo to continue. The Tories did attempt serious internal reform pre-2018 and restrained the budget which has had some good effects in focussing resources but bad effects in things like waiting times. Boris however like May has given up on any meaningful reform and simply wishes to throw money at the problem so expect an early windfall before management award themselves bonuses and nothing much happens as we return to the days more like the 00's where the NHS is able to say it meets all its targets while governments hide the fact that it is done by crippling the tax payer through above growth budget increases. Labour likewise has no real NHS policy beyond throwing money at the problem as do the Lib Dem's who would never dare seek radical overhaul. So you at least have certainty.

If your talking about pharmaceutical then actually i think Labour has a better policy with regards to creating a state competitor albeit again it has the potential to be a budgetary sinkhole (because medication can costs billions to make, competition is somewhat restricted). Tories and Lib Dem's are basically proposing the status-quo.
Brexit Party
Reply 30
Yo, where the hell are the Welsh Communist Party, we're in with a shout this time.
Original post by fallen_acorns
12% of the british public at present polling. 4x as many as will vote for the greens.

For me, you've left me no option to complete your poll. I will likely vote for a local indipedant who stands for my area and its needs.. None of the parties in your list will get my vote.

The parties chosen for the poll are all parties that have previously stood for a general election.

Brexit party has not, so I have not put them on the list.
Original post by Andrew97
Where is the Brexit party? They are polling decently.

I have only included parties that have previously stood for a general election.
Original post by AnxiousAtypical
Brexit Party

I have only included parties who have previously stood for a general election.
Original post by The Mogg
Yo, where the hell are the Welsh Communist Party, we're in with a shout this time.

Who?
Original post by Suchomimus
The parties chosen for the poll are all parties that have previously stood for a general election.

Brexit party has not, so I have not put them on the list.

So where is UKIP then? They stood last time..

is it a rule that in general elections only parties that have stood before can stand again?

no...

So why are you making it a rule? For the same reason you tried to justify your awful poll by saying 'I only included parties that have MPs' another thing that is not included in an actual general election.

If you want to make a thread that says 'here are 5 parties.. which one do you like most' - great, youve done it.. good job.

But if you want to make a thread called 'general election', where you ask who people would vote for in a general election..you need to give them the same options as a general election. Otherwise its a pointless poll. Trying to walk it back and make up reasons for your choices now, is just beyond idiotic.
So where is UKIP then? They stood last time..

is it a rule that in general elections only parties that have stood before can stand again?

no...

So why are you making it a rule? For the same reason you tried to justify your awful poll by saying 'I only included parties that have MPs' another thing that is not included in an actual general election.

If you want to make a thread that says 'here are 5 parties.. which one do you like most' - great, youve done it.. good job.

But if you want to make a thread called 'general election', where you ask who people would vote for in a general election..you need to give them the same options as a general election. Otherwise its a pointless poll. Trying to walk it back and make up reasons for your choices now, is just beyond idiotic.

UKIP have basically disbanded, so it would be pointless to include them.

I have only chosen contenders from previous general elections as it is impossible to predict the future.

Hope this helps.
Add an independent/other box..

You've also missed the 4th highest polling party nationally

This was the case in the European Elections, not the General Election, which is the subject of this poll.
UKIP have basically disbanded, so it would be pointless to include them.

I have only chosen contenders from previous general elections as it is impossible to predict the future.

Hope this helps.

UKIP have not disbanded. They have a new leader, and nationally are still likely to be the 8th largest party in the UK.

For a party that has 'disbanded' its amazing that they managed to achieve more votes than three parties you did include: DUP, Plaid and Sinn Fein, in all recent elections.

Its actually pretty easy to predict who is going to run in an election - you just take those who ran last time and intend to do it again, and add them to those who have declared they will run for the first time. That will give you the best possible guess at who will run.

It doesn't help - your either deliberately not including two parties you disagree with, or to stubborn to admit that you didn't know what you were doing when you made the thread/poll. I'm inclined to think its the later, given that you also didn't include the obvious 'other' category.

This was the case in the European Elections, not the General Election, which is the subject of this poll.

no, its the case in current general election polling. Google 'UK polling data' if you want to find out which parties should be included.

In the EU elections, they were actually the most popular par
(edited 4 years ago)
UKIP have not disbanded. They have a new leader, and nationally are still likely to be the 8th largest party in the UK.

By what metric are they the 8th largest party?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending