The Student Room Group

The Guitar Thread 🎸

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by Lostx
Is that your favourite type of guitar to play?

Yeah! I also play electric but I find classical pieces are more rewarding, also the sheet music is always 100% accurate
Reply 61
Original post by Shimo
Yeah! I also play electric but I find classical pieces are more rewarding, also the sheet music is always 100% accurate

Do you play tabs or chords for classical?
Reply 62
Original post by Lostx
Do you play tabs or chords for classical?

Classical is normally done on sheet music, so it's like tabs but it has rhythm and other things in it too, it's what most instruments use
Reply 63
Original post by Shimo
Classical is normally done on sheet music, so it's like tabs but it has rhythm and other things in it too, it's what most instruments use

Ah ok, so you play the notes? I can read music but have no idea where each note is on the neck so just use tabs and very rarely chords.
How did you learn where the notes are on the guitar?
Reply 64
Original post by Lostx
Ah ok, so you play the notes? I can read music but have no idea where each note is on the neck so just use tabs and very rarely chords.

The problem with guitar is that there are many different places to play each note, as opposed to a piano where there is only one of each note. You can figure them out logically, remember that the fifth note of a string is the same as the open string below it, except for the G string which is the fourth note. I think playing scales helped me learn the notes on the guitar a lot, calling out each note as I play it, slowly of course
Reply 65
Original post by Shimo
The problem with guitar is that there are many different places to play each note, as opposed to a piano where there is only one of each note. You can figure them out logically, remember that the fifth note of a string is the same as the open string below it, except for the G string which is the fourth note. I think playing scales helped me learn the notes on the guitar a lot, calling out each note as I play it, slowly of course

I guess I will have to try this. I’m just so useless at the guitar at the moment!
Reply 66
Original post by Lostx
I guess I will have to try this. I’m just so useless at the guitar at the moment!

It's so easy to get stuck in a rut! Try and set yourself a small goal, like playing a section of a song or learning some theory, you'll hopefully start to get back into it. Good luck!!!
Reply 67
Original post by Lostx

I just progressively learnt the positions of the notes by going through different pieces. They'd require me to go on different positions across the neck so eventually I got used to where it was.
Start by learning the notes of the open strings - make up a mnemonic if you like. Same goes for the notes on the stave of the treble clef if you fancy learning to read music. I think reading music gives you a better idea of what the piece is going to sound like before you play it, too.
Although when I was first learning where the notes are, it was fairly slow and steadily. I still remember the first non-open string note I learned was A - finger two on fret two (of the 3rd string)
Reply 68
Original post by Lostx
Hey!

Thank you so much. You’re a great source of knowledge. One thing I am learning about is Keys. A user linked in a site (https://www.guitartricks.com/blog/8-Easy-Steps-for-Changing-Keys). I am finding this a bit difficult to understand. Can you please put it into simple terms? :redface:

In general, a key is just a thing musicians use to determine what chords and notes sound nice together - to be honest, you don't need that much knowledge of them to play the guitar, but it can be helpful just to understand what key a song's in so you can guess the next chord. In most pop songs the 1 4 and 5 chord of each key are used (in the key of CMajor that would be C F and G) what exact stuff do you want to know? Cause I'm not too sure how in-depth you want it lol
Reply 69
I am struggling to practice. I am so aware of people around me that it stops me from wanting to play. I am on a ward and our rooms are very close together. I don’t want to put newspaper in the guitar or buy an electric (which is apparently the quietest guitar to play when not plugged in).
Reply 70
Original post by Shimo
It's so easy to get stuck in a rut! Try and set yourself a small goal, like playing a section of a song or learning some theory, you'll hopefully start to get back into it. Good luck!!!

That’s great advice, i’ll just do little bits everyday :smile:
Reply 71
Original post by Sinnoh
I just progressively learnt the positions of the notes by going through different pieces. They'd require me to go on different positions across the neck so eventually I got used to where it was.
Start by learning the notes of the open strings - make up a mnemonic if you like. Same goes for the notes on the stave of the treble clef if you fancy learning to read music. I think reading music gives you a better idea of what the piece is going to sound like before you play it, too.
Although when I was first learning where the notes are, it was fairly slow and steadily. I still remember the first non-open string note I learned was A - finger two on fret two (of the 3rd string)

I think I might google image the notes on a guitar and try to learn from that.
Reply 72
Original post by phyf
In general, a key is just a thing musicians use to determine what chords and notes sound nice together - to be honest, you don't need that much knowledge of them to play the guitar, but it can be helpful just to understand what key a song's in so you can guess the next chord. In most pop songs the 1 4 and 5 chord of each key are used (in the key of CMajor that would be C F and G) what exact stuff do you want to know? Cause I'm not too sure how in-depth you want it lol

Well everything I learn about is blowing my mind. I don’t know how to put the notes I know on the stave onto a guitar. I don’t know how to play in the right key... and I am sure there are many, many more questions to come.
Reply 73
How do you get to stretch the fingers?
Reply 74
Original post by Lostx

Do you mean stretch as in warm up? Or be able to reach more frets? To warm up I normally push my fingers together until they stop burning, and play some scales to warm up. To be able to reach more frets you've just got to practice more, there might be some pieces you can play that might help.
Reply 75
Original post by Lostx
Well everything I learn about is blowing my mind. I don’t know how to put the notes I know on the stave onto a guitar. I don’t know how to play in the right key... and I am sure there are many, many more questions to come.

Reading off a stave can be hell when playing guitar, have u tried using tabs?
Reply 76
Original post by Shimo
Do you mean stretch as in warm up? Or be able to reach more frets? To warm up I normally push my fingers together until they stop burning, and play some scales to warm up. To be able to reach more frets you've just got to practice more, there might be some pieces you can play that might help.

I mean being able to stretch fingers so that I can reach the frets for a chord.
Reply 77
Original post by phyf
Reading off a stave can be hell when playing guitar, have u tried using tabs?

I have and the only problem I have is stretching my fingers to reach the notes when I have to play more than one at a time.
Reply 78
I am trying to learn the notes so I googled notes on a guitar and I got a picture of the neck with different notes on. I am confused because some notes have different pitches and I thought all notes with the same letter would sound exactly the same. :s-smilie:
Reply 79
Original post by Lostx

Here's an exercise I use. Note it's more about accuracy than being able to stretch usually.

Original post by Lostx
I am trying to learn the notes so I googled notes on a guitar and I got a picture of the neck with different notes on. I am confused because some notes have different pitches and I thought all notes with the same letter would sound exactly the same. :s-smilie:

It's periodic - notes of a different octave sound alike. The lowest note playable with standard tuning is an E, on the second fret of the 4th string is an E an octave up, then the top string of the guitar is also E but another octave.
So all the playable notes on the guitar, in ascending order, going up 1 fret at a time would be E F F# G G# A A# B C C# D D# E repeating.

Quick Reply

Latest