The Student Room Group

Economics

is A-level economics hard?
Year 1 was alright. Didn’t revise much for the exam and nearly managed to get an A*. This year has been harder. Business economics particularly is quite cumbersome. On the whole it’s been alright though. As long as you stay on top of your work in year 12 you’ll be fine; I cannot speak for year 13 yet as I am yet to complete it ! 🤞🏽
Reply 2
Original post by 10oba-abbad
Year 1 was alright. Didn’t revise much for the exam and nearly managed to get an A*. This year has been harder. Business economics particularly is quite cumbersome. On the whole it’s been alright though. As long as you stay on top of your work in year 12 you’ll be fine; I cannot speak for year 13 yet as I am yet to complete it ! 🤞🏽

thanks, do you think A level economics, A level business and AS level maths will be suitable?
Original post by kikomi
thanks, do you think A level economics, A level business and AS level maths will be suitable?

What are you thinking of doing at university?
Original post by kikomi
is A-level economics hard?

i personally found it hard
Reply 5
What are you thinking of doing at university?

i'm still not sure what i really want to be in the future but im interested to be economist or accounting
Reply 6
Original post by AnxiousGuy
i personally found it hard

:frown::frown:
Original post by kikomi
i'm still not sure what i really want to be in the future but im interested to be economist or accounting

Then yeah that’s a solid combo.
Reply 8
Then yeah that’s a solid combo.

yeah :smile:
Original post by kikomi

Just as something to consider, some universities consider A-Level business and economics to be too similar.

Example, LSE:
"Many of the undergraduate programmes at LSE are multi-disciplinary and for this reason we consider a broad mix of traditional subjects to be the best preparation for study. A broad academic background will provide the skills to perform well in any of the challenging programmes at LSE. Students offering a narrow range of subjects may be at a disadvantage compared to those offering a broader combination. Examples of narrow subject combinations might be Economics, Business Studies and one other or English Language, English Literature and one other. See also, the programme pages and the Mathematics and and Further Mathematics section below."
Reply 10
Original post by aliferra
Just as something to consider, some universities consider A-Level business and economics to be too similar.

Example, LSE:
"Many of the undergraduate programmes at LSE are multi-disciplinary and for this reason we consider a broad mix of traditional subjects to be the best preparation for study. A broad academic background will provide the skills to perform well in any of the challenging programmes at LSE. Students offering a narrow range of subjects may be at a disadvantage compared to those offering a broader combination. Examples of narrow subject combinations might be Economics, Business Studies and one other or English Language, English Literature and one other. See also, the programme pages and the Mathematics and and Further Mathematics section below."

Thanks
I agree with what @aliferra said. Does your sixth form offer accounting?
If you're looking to do economics at university, then I highly recommend taking A-Level Further Mathematics, if you think you'll be able to cope with it. Most top universities want people who are keen in mathematics, thus taking FM will make your application a lot more competitive.
Reply 12
Original post by confuzzledteen
I agree with what @aliferra said. Does your sixth form offer accounting?
If you're looking to do economics at university, then I highly recommend taking A-Level Further Mathematics, if you think you'll be able to cope with it. Most top universities want people who are keen in mathematics, thus taking FM will make your application a lot more competitive.

i'm hoping that other sixth forms are offering accounting and thanks for the advice
Original post by kikomi
i'm hoping that other sixth forms are offering accounting and thanks for the advice

Accounting is not seen as an academic A level by some competitive Unis like LSE. You would be better off doing Maths, Economics and either Furher Maths (preferably) or at least one other academic subject. Look at the LSE list of preferred subjects
Reply 14
Original post by harrysbar
Accounting is not seen as an academic A level by some competitive Unis like LSE. You would be better off doing Maths, Economics and either Furher Maths (preferably) or at least one other academic subject. Look at the LSE list of preferred subjects

thanks for opinion

Quick Reply

Latest