The Student Room Group

Revision tips/advice?

My name is Zac, I'm a year 11 student taking GCSEs in summer 2020.

I'm taking:

(Edexcel) iGCSE Maths

(Edexcel) iGCSE English Literature

(Edexcel) iGCSE English Language

(Edexcel) iGCSE French

(Edexcel) iGCSE Physics

(Edexcel) iGCSE Chemistry

(Edexcel) iGCSE Biology

(Edexcel) iGCSE RS

(Eduqas) GCSE Drama

(Cambridge) iGCSE Computer Science

-And my current revision resources are:

Maths - Dr Frost Maths daily/every other day, working on topics I'm not so great at, I did the Edexcel specimen paper and got 1 mark off a 9 using the June 2019 boundaries, but I don't think it will be sustainable for 7 months; any ideas?

English - none, thinking of re-reading all set texts and creating mindmaps specific to themes that may come up, not sure.

French - Quizlet or Memrise nightly, This is language grammar and audio transcripts, I need a way to practice oral because i'm not too sure.

Sciences - Started in August 2019 making notes based on all specification points, finished Chemistry entirely (need a way to learn these points now and I don't know how i should go about that), Physics midway through, Biology I haven't started.

Religious Studies - thinking of annotating a Bible haha, I feel like this is my strongest subject so I'm not so worried about it. Have flashcards from Summer 2018.

Drama - can't really revise.

Computer Science - similar to Sciences, I don't know how I will retain/ learn all the info.

I am aiming for 10 9s - yes I know it's an improbable dream but I think I have the drive and motivation to achieve such, I just need to utilise my tools effectively. Any advice is much appreciated!

- Zac
Reply 1
Hi Zac
Even though I'm probably not the best person to advise (due to the fact even though I passed everything, I only got a bunch of 6s and few 7s), but after evaluating my mistakes and asking my friends who 7s and above in everything, I have some advice

General Advice
-Don't be afraid to ask for help (even if it does seem a bit embarrassing and slightly beneath you)
-Revise PROPERLY (staring at your notebook doesn't count)
-Do past paper, mark and green pen them - but in additional if possible look at the examiner's report (it will tell you what went well, what didn't go well and what the examiner is looking for)
-Balance everything - You are entitled to have life outside academics, its just the way you do it that counts
-Figure what subjects your naturally good at (even though every subject requires revision, subjects that you find a bit harder will require more work than others)
-Be equipped
-Do not panic if an exam doesn't go as planned (unfortunately you do not have the luxury of time and panicking wastes both time and energy)

Subject Specific
Maths- Past Papers and CGP workbook
English Lit- Memorising quotes is good and all, you need to practice. Good writers have a clear structure, reference all the relevant points and can pull quotes. Great writers however do more than that a look deeper into whatever they are writing about. This will take practice. Also, watch Mr Bruff
English Lang. - Pratice and Mr Bruff
Triple Science- Practice makes perfect. Know what types of question are likely to come up in paper 1 and 2. Also you need to start Biology. Ik the exam timetable hasn't come out, but Biology was my first science exam and it was the year before mine.
RS- Ngl even though, you should obviously revise, this isn't an extremely hard subject. As long as you know different religious opinions and views on certain matter and you know how to structure your work- you'll be fine
Drama- Component 1- Thinking outside the box, having a deep understand of what doing and being able to articulate what you done and why chose to do it that way will get u marks. Comp 2 (Script work) Memorise your lines. For both of these components just remember you are getting marked individually. Comp 3- Get copy of the play your getting examined on and annotate it.
Languages - For Oral work, for each topic, come up with questions in all three tenses, write the answer, say it to yourself and just memorise it

anyways good luck Hope this is useful :smile:
Original post by MkmoU1
Hi Zac
Even though I'm probably not the best person to advise (due to the fact even though I passed everything, I only got a bunch of 6s and few 7s), but after evaluating my mistakes and asking my friends who 7s and above in everything, I have some advice

General Advice
-Don't be afraid to ask for help (even if it does seem a bit embarrassing and slightly beneath you)
-Revise PROPERLY (staring at your notebook doesn't count)
-Do past paper, mark and green pen them - but in additional if possible look at the examiner's report (it will tell you what went well, what didn't go well and what the examiner is looking for)
-Balance everything - You are entitled to have life outside academics, its just the way you do it that counts
-Figure what subjects your naturally good at (even though every subject requires revision, subjects that you find a bit harder will require more work than others)
-Be equipped
-Do not panic if an exam doesn't go as planned (unfortunately you do not have the luxury of time and panicking wastes both time and energy)

Subject Specific
Maths- Past Papers and CGP workbook
English Lit- Memorising quotes is good and all, you need to practice. Good writers have a clear structure, reference all the relevant points and can pull quotes. Great writers however do more than that a look deeper into whatever they are writing about. This will take practice. Also, watch Mr Bruff
English Lang. - Pratice and Mr Bruff
Triple Science- Practice makes perfect. Know what types of question are likely to come up in paper 1 and 2. Also you need to start Biology. Ik the exam timetable hasn't come out, but Biology was my first science exam and it was the year before mine.
RS- Ngl even though, you should obviously revise, this isn't an extremely hard subject. As long as you know different religious opinions and views on certain matter and you know how to structure your work- you'll be fine
Drama- Component 1- Thinking outside the box, having a deep understand of what doing and being able to articulate what you done and why chose to do it that way will get u marks. Comp 2 (Script work) Memorise your lines. For both of these components just remember you are getting marked individually. Comp 3- Get copy of the play your getting examined on and annotate it.
Languages - For Oral work, for each topic, come up with questions in all three tenses, write the answer, say it to yourself and just memorise it

anyways good luck Hope this is useful :smile:

Thanks! I'm just at a point where I'm not really sure if I'm doing enough or too much, as school is feeling alright but then I feel like I personally procrastinate in my free time where I could be finishing Physics or starting Biology!

Thank you anyway, I've subscribed to Mr Bruff as I was struggling to find an English YouTuber that engaged me.
Original post by zacn01
Thanks! I'm just at a point where I'm not really sure if I'm doing enough or too much, as school is feeling alright but then I feel like I personally procrastinate in my free time where I could be finishing Physics or starting Biology!

Thank you anyway, I've subscribed to Mr Bruff as I was struggling to find an English YouTuber that engaged me.

For English also try Stacey Reay and Mr Salles.
Reply 4
Here is a link to playlists I have created with Year 11 advice and subject specific advice you will find if you click on playlists. Hope it helps. I am also in Year eleven achieveing Grade nines
https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCtQPr3Fn6NQOF_P8laJFX-A
past. papers.
Hi, I'm in Yr 11 too and I'm taking 9 GCSEs and aiming for high grades, this is how I revise your subjects:

(Edexcel) Maths: My school has a Mathswatch subscription which is great but I also bought the Edexcel revision guide and I'm working through it, as we get closer to exam season I'm going to just do lots of practice papers.

(AQA) English lit: Flashcards for quotes and analysis, mind maps for themes and lots of practice essays.

(AQA) English lang: Not certain how to revise but probably just going to do past papers.

(AQA) French: I do a lot of Memrise, especially when procrastinating from other subjects or on public transport. I use Quizlet a bit too but not as much.

(Edexcel) Separate sciences: I have the textbooks and printed of the specifications and make flashcards using them together, I tick off each point of the spec as I go along. I also use a website called Seneca, which is free and pretty good for more relaxed revision, but don't solely rely on it as it sometimes doesn't go into enough depth.
I also use Seneca for my other subjects too but it can get a bit tedious, my favourite way to revise is flashcards.

I don't take RS, drama or computer science, but I hope this was useful 😊.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by zacn01
My name is Zac, I'm a year 11 student taking GCSEs in summer 2020.

I'm taking:

(Edexcel) iGCSE Maths

(Edexcel) iGCSE English Literature

(Edexcel) iGCSE English Language

(Edexcel) iGCSE French

(Edexcel) iGCSE Physics

(Edexcel) iGCSE Chemistry

(Edexcel) iGCSE Biology

(Edexcel) iGCSE RS

(Eduqas) GCSE Drama

(Cambridge) iGCSE Computer Science

-And my current revision resources are:

Maths - Dr Frost Maths daily/every other day, working on topics I'm not so great at, I did the Edexcel specimen paper and got 1 mark off a 9 using the June 2019 boundaries, but I don't think it will be sustainable for 7 months; any ideas?

English - none, thinking of re-reading all set texts and creating mindmaps specific to themes that may come up, not sure.

French - Quizlet or Memrise nightly, This is language grammar and audio transcripts, I need a way to practice oral because i'm not too sure.

Sciences - Started in August 2019 making notes based on all specification points, finished Chemistry entirely (need a way to learn these points now and I don't know how i should go about that), Physics midway through, Biology I haven't started.

Religious Studies - thinking of annotating a Bible haha, I feel like this is my strongest subject so I'm not so worried about it. Have flashcards from Summer 2018.

Drama - can't really revise.

Computer Science - similar to Sciences, I don't know how I will retain/ learn all the info.

I am aiming for 10 9s - yes I know it's an improbable dream but I think I have the drive and motivation to achieve such, I just need to utilise my tools effectively. Any advice is much appreciated!

- Zac

I am a professional writer/tutor. Contact me for assistance
Original post by Bill Nye

Thanks, will do!
Original post by Bill Nye

Thanks, will do!

Original post by Nithumigah
Here is a link to playlists I have created with Year 11 advice and subject specific advice you will find if you click on playlists. Hope it helps. I am also in Year eleven achieveing Grade nines
https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCtQPr3Fn6NQOF_P8laJFX-A

Thank you, added to my playlistsn

Original post by Professor_Mason
I am a professional writer/tutor. Contact me for assistance

contacted
Hi, I’m doing the same science and maths exams as you this year and am also aiming for 9s in each one.

I suggest using a website called Maths Genie for revision and questions on every single different maths topic. It’s really helpful if you’re stuck and it has loads of exam style questions.

For science, I do endless amounts of questions and try and write up as many flash cards as I can, especially on the harder subjects. I also use Seneca to consolidate my knowledge on every topic and will go over each section many times before the exams later this year.

Hope this helps! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending