The Student Room Group

National 5 Spanish 2019-2020

Buenos/as días/tardes/noches everyone!.

I am making a new thread for people sitting Nat 5 Spanish (including me).

So how is everybody feeling about their Spanish?

Personally, it’s going to be tough for me since I had 1-2 years break (thanks to my school’s column choices for last year’s😡) especially when it comes to writing job advert and in other contexts, speaking and talking.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by sarah42004
i'm so nervous. i've only done spanish for one year and there was no pressure put on me so i didn't learn much lol. i'm also taking German which i'm so much better at. my teacher said we should be aiming for Cs which is a bit sad :frown:

Ow, you will get there don’t worry :smile:.
Original post by sarah42004
i'm so nervous. i've only done spanish for one year and there was no pressure put on me so i didn't learn much lol. i'm also taking German which i'm so much better at. my teacher said we should be aiming for Cs which is a bit sad :frown:

Don't take what your teacher has said too seriously...You can aim as high as you want to, and although you'll probably need to put in extra work outside of class (as it sounds like your teacher doesn't have particularly high aspirations if everyone is already being told they'er aiming for a C & their teaching may well reflect this), if you put that time in, you can have the potential to get a higher grade, if that's what you want to aim for.
Guys don't worry I got 57% (C) in my prelim and managed to walk out with an A. This was due to my school using P&N who oddly only allow one translation for every word. Anyways my best advice is to try your best with the assignment as it can help you greatly with the other exams as you know you already have a percentage.

For Talking I just had to keep remembering it and continuously going over it which was an annoyance but managed to get through it and went better than expected.

For Reading I found it to be alright and on the day I remember that we had various texts which aren't too difficult (there's usually a long one and short ones) as you can use your general knowledge to get the gist of what the text is on about. Just watch your time and refer back to your dictionary for help.

For Writing, just make sure you pick sentences and vocabulary that is the easiest and not go overboard. This will allow to get easy marks. For the unseen questions they are often very easy and one of mine was "What is your favourite genre of movie?"

For Listening, always listen out for key words which will help you answer the questions. If I remember ours was in a classroom and needed to be played from the Promethean board so you shouldn't have issues.

Lastly, good luck in all of your exams next year. If you're sitting exams for the first time don't worry as you'll find them better than what you believed at first. As for me, I'm trying to leave school in order to pursue an apprenticeship in which I have an interview for so hopefully I can get it. It's my first ever job interview so I'm slightly nervous.
Reply 4
I cannot emphasise this point about P and N more. Their languages papers are absurdly difficult compared to the final exam. For my Nat 5 Prelim I got a low B but got an A1 in the final exam so do not take the prelim as an accurate reflection of the exam.
Original post by AyrshireStudent
Guys don't worry I got 57% (C) in my prelim and managed to walk out with an A. This was due to my school using P&N who oddly only allow one translation for every word. Anyways my best advice is to try your best with the assignment as it can help you greatly with the other exams as you know you already have a percentage.

For Talking I just had to keep remembering it and continuously going over it which was an annoyance but managed to get through it and went better than expected.

For Reading I found it to be alright and on the day I remember that we had various texts which aren't too difficult (there's usually a long one and short ones) as you can use your general knowledge to get the gist of what the text is on about. Just watch your time and refer back to your dictionary for help.

For Writing, just make sure you pick sentences and vocabulary that is the easiest and not go overboard. This will allow to get easy marks. For the unseen questions they are often very easy and one of mine was "What is your favourite genre of movie?"

For Listening, always listen out for key words which will help you answer the questions. If I remember ours was in a classroom and needed to be played from the Promethean board so you shouldn't have issues.

Lastly, good luck in all of your exams next year. If you're sitting exams for the first time don't worry as you'll find them better than what you believed at first. As for me, I'm trying to leave school in order to pursue an apprenticeship in which I have an interview for so hopefully I can get it. It's my first ever job interview so I'm slightly nervous.
Original post by 123543
I cannot emphasise this point about P and N more. Their languages papers are absurdly difficult compared to the final exam. For my Nat 5 Prelim I got a low B but got an A1 in the final exam so do not take the prelim as an accurate reflection of the exam.

They're an absolute joke in terms of difficulty especially Spanish.
Original post by AyrshireStudent

Oh I really hate P&N after the Nat 5 english reading paper but barely managed to get a C. I’m just scared that it will be same for higher english, nat 5 biology and nat 5 spanish 😒
Reply 7
I sat N5 French and Spanish this year and the P&N French prelim was ridiculously hard. E.g. one of the writing bullets was "what is your experience with weddings?" which nobody could have anticipated.

My teacher didn't want to knock our confidence so simply compiled several past paper questions to make up a Spanish prelim, which was significantly better than the awful P&N prelim.

Both of the final exams were pretty okay, but the Spanish listening was a little bit difficult this year I thought.
Reply 8
Yeah exactly. Unfortunately, I have had to request extenuating circumstances for my Higher exams (I did French) due to illness - was able to complete the exam and thought it went quite well, however, it was only my assignment and speaking predictions which allowed my prediction to be a decent fall back if I've done worse than expected.
Original post by aingidh
I sat N5 French and Spanish this year and the P&N French prelim was ridiculously hard. E.g. one of the writing bullets was "what is your experience with weddings?" which nobody could have anticipated.

My teacher didn't want to knock our confidence so simply compiled several past paper questions to make up a Spanish prelim, which was significantly better than the awful P&N prelim.

Both of the final exams were pretty okay, but the Spanish listening was a little bit difficult this year I thought.
Original post by Kubsyy
Oh I really hate P&N after the Nat 5 english reading paper but barely managed to get a C. I’m just scared that it will be same for higher english, nat 5 biology and nat 5 spanish 😒

Well I got a C in my Higher English prelim and you guessed it we used P&N for the close reading. Haven't got my results yet so hopefully I actually have a good grade in English or even passed it to be honest.
I sad the P&N prelim as well, we got told about the wedding bullet point a few weeks in advance and they just gave us a modal answer since it was unfair. Though most people didn't learn the bullet points and got 4s on their paper.
Original post by aingidh

Anyone have any tips for writing and listening?
Original post by N Elliott

Hope this helps! :rambo:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2320896
Original post by N Elliott

Hi, sorry I'm late in replying! I did national 5 Spanish roughly three years ago and i struggled with listening initially. What boosted my score was doing past paper listening questions over and over again until i became familiar with it - even the very old past papers too. in terms of writing, memorise the points you know you are going to write about in the exam , and then practice all possible other bullet points you may have to answer and of course, know your basic vocab, hope this helps!
I’ve done listening prelim and it was easy :smile:
(edited 4 years ago)
I have my Spanish prelims next week for N5, I’m fine with the writing but I struggle to know how much detail to give in my answers for reading and listening. Any advice?
Original post by mspratt1
I have my Spanish prelims next week for N5, I’m fine with the writing but I struggle to know how much detail to give in my answers for reading and listening. Any advice?

:wavey:

I think the best way of figuring this bit out is by doing past papers and self-marking using the marking schemes. It was French I did at Nat 5 (though same principals as the languages all get treated the same way), but generally found that the answers that were required were quite direct. As a rule of thumb, say as much as what was said in the passage (which answers the question you have been asked) and you should get the mark :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending