The Student Room Group

PGDE - Scotland 2020 Applicants Thread!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by 6Hayley10
Does anyone get any information from Edinburgh?

I got sent an email letting me about the process if I were to be successful or not. So far all we will hear from uni's is the typical "thank you for applying" until they start sending out interviews.

I received acknowledgement from Glasgow today:

"Interviews
Interviews will be held between December and March. Interview slots are not allocated based on the date of submission of application. If you have been invited to interview you will see this updated on your UCAS track and will receive an email invitation within 24 hours of the UCAS update. The invitation will give further detail about the date and format of the interview. If you are not being invited to interview your application will be rejected. If your application is still at 'referred' status, then you are still under consideration for an interview place.

Interview dates are set in advance and reschedules are not guaranteed. There is a section on your UCAS application where you can provide dates you are unavailable for interview.
Due to the number of applications to the PGDE programmes, not all qualified applicants will be invited to interview."

So those of you who are worried about when to submit your application, don't be :smile:
Original post by Teacher2Bee
I got sent an email letting me about the process if I were to be successful or not. So far all we will hear from uni's is the typical "thank you for applying" until they start sending out interviews.

"Interviews
Interviews will be held between December and March. Interview slots are not allocated based on the date of submission of application. If you have been invited to interview you will see this updated on your UCAS track and will receive an email invitation within 24 hours of the UCAS update. The invitation will give further detail about the date and format of the interview. If you are not being invited to interview your application will be rejected. If your application is still at 'referred' status, then you are still under consideration for an interview place.

Interview dates are set in advance and reschedules are not guaranteed. There is a section on your UCAS application where you can provide dates you are unavailable for interview.
Due to the number of applications to the PGDE programmes, not all qualified applicants will be invited to interview."

So those of you who are worried about when to submit your application, don't be :smile:

This is so helpful and reassuring to know, thank you so much for sharing!

"Interviews

That's really helpful! Thanks for sharing! I submitted my application in September. I'm very nervous because so far I haven't heard anything from the uni except acknowledgement email. 🤣
That's really helpful! Thanks for sharing! I submitted my application in September. I'm very nervous because so far I haven't heard anything from the uni except acknowledgement email. 🤣

I submitted mine in September as well, and all I've had is acknowledgement emails. The deadline doesn't shut till January, so they wont put all their eggs in their basket this early on. Some who run interviews in December may start sending out invites, but they only need to give you 7 days notice, so even that could be another 4-6 weeks!

It is horrible waiting!
I have acknowledgment of all applications submitted (UWS, Strathclyde and Edinburgh) Edinburgh email encouraged to set up an account on their platform to check the progress of your app. UWS directs you to their website for more info..... for those applying for P.E it has a very useful document giving you the format of the interview should you be successful. I don’t anticipate any response any sooner than December, perhaps after January when the UCAS deadline passes and they review the applicants.
Reply 45
Hi everyone!

I was at UWS open day today and the lady on the Education stall was lovely. She says she really encourages applicants to submit asap. As for the interview she said there would be a member of her team on the panel and normally a headteacher from a school. I asked her about experience as I've got most of mine from England and would that matter given the different curriculums. She said they really don't want applicants spouting about curriculum for excellence, that's her job to teach about it. She said they're looking for personality and how you would fit in a teaching role. She also said there's about 80 places in both Lanarkshire and Ayr campus but it's still really competitive.

Was a really good day, the campus is absolutely gorgeous!
Reply 46
Has anyone ever heard of anyone with less than a 2:1 in a previous degree being accepted?
Reply 47
Original post by Mazzyt
Has anyone ever heard of anyone with less than a 2:1 in a previous degree being accepted?

I have a friend who got into Strathclyde with an ordinary degree, I dunno how because I have a 2:2 and I’m struggling to get an interview but it might be a mix of everything
I have heard through friends that their relatives have been accepted with a 2:2. Universities look at many aspects of your applications. When I applied to Edinburgh in 2016 to do primary education, I had higher english and psychology, nat 5 maths and an HNC in Social Care, and out of the thousands of people interviewed and the hundred accepted, I was one of them. When I was talking to other people there, many of them had multiple advanced highers etc and I did not feel worthy. But what I did have, was a lot of experience working with children and experience working with young adults with learning disabilities.

I regret to this day that I didn't take it, but one of my children was just starting primary school at that point, and I felt like I needed to be able to get home at a drop of a hat, and Stirling Uni offered that.

Make your application as well rounded as you can, focus on the positives and why you want to teach.
(edited 4 years ago)
Hi guys, I just received the interview invitation from Strathclyde. My interview will be on Friday. Finger crossed 🤣
Reply 50
Hi guys, I just received the interview invitation from Strathclyde. My interview will be on Friday. Finger crossed 🤣

Yay!! Well done :biggrin: they didn't give you much notice did they! Hope it goes really well for you :smile:
Reply 51
On a similar note, has anyone even received a confirmation of their application from Strathclyde? 😅
Original post by Chogg0
On a similar note, has anyone even received a confirmation of their application from Strathclyde? 😅

No, they're the only one I am waiting to hear back from!

Congratulations! Let us know how you get on and what sorts of questions they ask!
Has anyone heard anything back from Dundee? 😄
No, they're the only one I am waiting to hear back from!

Congratulations! Let us know how you get on and what sorts of questions they ask!

Original post by Chogg0

Thank you! I think it depends on different subjects. Mine is Mandarin so maybe it starts early this year. Hope you can hear news soon !!
Original post by TinaMillar
Has anyone heard anything back from Dundee? 😄

Only an acknowledgement letter shortly after my application.
Only an acknowledgement letter shortly after my application.

Me too. Hopefully we hear soon!!
Reply 57
I’m still waiting on acknowledgment from Glasgow. No invites to interviews yet... I’m bricking it, I really really need in this year...
Original post by Cattr39
I’m still waiting on acknowledgment from Glasgow. No invites to interviews yet... I’m bricking it, I really really need in this year...

Me too. I really need a space for 2020! First time applying though but really hope I get in.
Original post by Cattr39

Original post by TinaMillar
Me too. I really need a space for 2020! First time applying though but really hope I get in.

We're all in the same boat. I'm so desperate to do this. I've been on my journey for going on 7 years now. I had to return to college to get my highers and national 5 maths etc. I want to be on the homestretch. I have never wanted something so badly.

Edit - I got my acknowledgement for Glasgow last week and I submitted my application on the 10th of September. I'm still waiting on Strathclyde though <3.
(edited 4 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending