The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by cherryred90s
Haven’t had my car serviced yet, but it will probably be serviced at the dealer I bought it from yes.
That’s wonderful for him. I now find my car easier to drive as I’m used to it.
Well yeah, a newer car is obviously going to cost a lot more than a 2002 car. But I didn’t want something that would be likely to break down or cause me problems that I’d have to pay £££ to fix. And I know that if I do have problems with it, I can just take it back to the dealer. I’d much prefer to spend more on the car and less on repairs.

And then pay through the nose for diagnosis and repair.. why would you do that exactly?
If people can afford to buy/lease/finance and maintain a newer car, why do YOU have a problem with it?
I’m guessing you have an 2002 Audi A2?

I have a 2006 Volvo XC90 D5 and a 2009 Volvo V70 D5 now. Neither of those are suitable as starter cars.

My aim on this forum is to give the very best guidance and advice that I can.
Sometimes I find that I have to publicly disagree with the thoughts, or actions of other people in order to do this.

My advice for the vast majority of people - especially students - is that if you can afford to buy or lease a new car: DON'T!

Put your money into something else instead. Paying off your student loan or taking out a smaller loan in the first place would be reasonable. Or putting your money into bricks and mortar - buying a house - would be a sensible use of that money as well. As would spending it on career enhancing training or personal development. Or using it as seed money to start a business.

My advice to anyone is to adopt the tycoon mentality to spending money.

So that whenever you are thinking of spending money, you think "Can I buy the same thing, or something that will do the job just as well or better, somewhere else?"
Original post by IWMTom
And then pay through the nose for diagnosis and repair.. why would you do that exactly?

I doubt that I’d be paying for regular repairs
Reply 43
I doubt that I’d be paying for regular repairs

I was referring to your comment "And I know that if I do have problems with it, I can just take it back to the dealer."
Original post by Dunnig Kruger
I have a 2006 Volvo XC90 D5 and a 2009 Volvo V70 D5 now. Neither of those are suitable as starter cars.

My aim on this forum is to give the very best guidance and advice that I can.
Sometimes I find that I have to publicly disagree with the thoughts, or actions of other people in order to do this.

My advice for the vast majority of people - especially students - is that if you can afford to buy or lease a new car: DON'T!

Put your money into something else instead. Paying off your student loan or taking out a smaller loan in the first place would be reasonable. Or putting your money into bricks and mortar - buying a house - would be a sensible use of that money as well. As would spending it on career enhancing training or personal development. Or using it as seed money to start a business.

My advice to anyone is to adopt the tycoon mentality to spending money.

So that whenever you are thinking of spending money, you think "Can I buy the same thing, or something that will do the job just as well or better, somewhere else?"

Okay and that’s fine, but people can do what they please with their money. OP wasn’t asking for advice on how to manage their money. Like I said before, not everyone wants a car that’s 15+ years old.
Original post by IWMTom
I was referring to your comment "And I know that if I do have problems with it, I can just take it back to the dealer."

I believe diagnosis is free. And I’m aware that I’ll have to pay for repairs not covered by warranty. I’d still prefer that over an old car that’s more likely to have issues.
(edited 4 years ago)
Okay and that’s fine, but people can do what they please with their money. OP wasn’t asking for advice on how to manage their money. Like I said before, not everyone wants a car that’s 15+ years old.

The OP was asking if the Pugeot 108 was a good first time car to buy.

And the answer is: NO. Especially not if it's new or nearly new.

It's a poor car to buy for £14,000. It will become an average car to buy when it's used enough to buy it for £1000.
My posts in this thread have merely been justifying and explaining why it is a poor to average car to buy.
The internet in a nutshell.

OP: I'd like opinions from people who have owned or driven a Peugeot 108.
Forum: Please enjoy three pages discussing the relative merits of a 15 year old Audi diesel versus an Aston Martin.

:smile: :smile:
And how much did you pay to buy, or lease the car? How many thousands of pounds?

That's where the financial black hole is, sucking all your student funds. The purchase price.

You can't say that a car is not a financial black hole, just because one aspect of the cost of owning it and running it isn't too bad. You have to look at the total cost of everything:

Purchase price (depreciation plus loss of interest from not having the money invested elsewhere)
Insurance
Road tax
Fuel
Servicing including tyre costs
Repairs
MOT
Road tolls
Upgrade or customization costs (optional)
Breakdown cover (optional)
Parking costs

I paid about 10k for my car, insurance 900 ish, road tax is 30, a full tank is about 50, tyres are no more than £100 per one, never needed a repair, MOTs 40 pound, I rarely go up the M6 or Dartford Crossing and my upgrades/customisations were no more than a couple of thousand.

This really isn't much.
Although in reference to the OP about the car he/she wants to drive. I have had a go in one and it's basically like any other small city hatchback, does the job, nice turning circle, not too expensive to run, would recommend definitely as a starter.
The OP was asking if the Pugeot 108 was a good first time car to buy.

And the answer is: NO. Especially not if it's new or nearly new.

It's a poor car to buy for £14,000. It will become an average car to buy when it's used enough to buy it for £1000.
My posts in this thread have merely been justifying and explaining why it is a poor to average car to buy.

The question was asking if anyone owns one and if it’s a good first car.. OP was not asking about a 2002 Audi and/or how to spend their own money .
It’s not £14,000 either
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Meganlsherman
Does anyone own a pegeout 108 is it a good first time car ?

I gave very serious consideration to picking up a C1/108/Aygo as my first car. In the end I didn't, (more on that in a mo), but fundamentally they're definitely worth considering if the size isn't a deal breaker for you.

- Cheap to run & fix
- Plenty of choice, (there's at least 12 on the forecourt of every Robins & Day dealership in the country)
- Unlikely to have any major problems if you pick a newer/decent example

I did discuss them with a dealer who said that frequently people trade them in after 6-12 months because they're so small that there's not much flexibility in how you can use them.

In the end I got a C3; it cost me exactly the same as a C1/108/Aygo, it's got the same running costs as a C1/108/Aygo, it's bigger but still easy to park, it's got better equipment and it's more pleasant on longer runs. I've had it nearly four years and nothing has ever gone wrong. Robins & Day have a service plan for around £17 a month which covers the annual service and gives a discount on the MOT and any repairs if they ever need doing.

I think the 108 is fine, but is overpriced for the size, which is why I usually recommend people shop around and look at 208's, C3's, Yaris's etc. Corsa is also an option for that size, but people dump on Vauxhall reliability which would put me off.

...It’s not £14,000 either

That all depends what options you go for on a brand new Peugeot 108 and how much of a discount you get.

For example:
https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/new/201910183460403?radius=1500&make=PEUGEOT&advertising-location=at_cars&postcode=sw1a2jl&model=108&sort=price-desc&onesearchad=Used&onesearchad=Nearly%20New&onesearchad=New&page=1

And it will depend on whether you buy it on finance or not and how much the interest is on the finance.
(edited 4 years ago)

Who mentioned purchasing brand new?A 17 plate which is what they asked about will cost around £6-8k depending on the model, mileage and condition etc. They could have found something cheaper than that. Mine was 5.5k. I know that I could’ve got it cheaper but I decided to buy from a peugeot dealership. &From my understanding, people don’t really tend to buy brand new cars
(edited 4 years ago)
I have one, mines a 16 plate. Had it for a few months now. Great little car (despite what others have said on this thread). Really easy to park, cheap to fill. cheap to insure. I’ve not had any issues with it as of yet. It’s my first car so I was stalling it a lot at the beginning thinking that there was something wrong with it, but it was just my own driver error. I’ve taken it on long journeys and it’s been fine. Its labelled as a city car but it does fine on A roads and motorways. It’s not a BMW , you’re not going to get up to high speed in record time, but that’s kind of expected with a 1L car. Boot is pretty small. Can only fit about maybe 5-6 bags of shopping. My friend has a 15 plate Aygo, and they’re basically the same car. If you’ve got any other questions, just let me know.

hey how much was yours? and did it come with a digital screen

Latest

Trending

Trending