The Student Room Group

Struggling with PhD proposal

I'm currently writing a proposal to apply for a PhD in Psychology. I already have interest from a supervisor at a university. I'm using a guide from the University website to write my proposal and it's recommending I write 3000 words for the proposal. I've so far written 1500 and feel like I'll only be able to get 2000 at most once I've written everything.

I've included:

Overview of Research
Research Questions
Background
Rationale and Hypotheses
Proposed Methodology
Proposed Timeline

How many words was your proposal? What am I missing?
Original post by beccagood95
I'm currently writing a proposal to apply for a PhD in Psychology. I already have interest from a supervisor at a university. I'm using a guide from the University website to write my proposal and it's recommending I write 3000 words for the proposal. I've so far written 1500 and feel like I'll only be able to get 2000 at most once I've written everything.

I've included:

Overview of Research
Research Questions
Background
Rationale and Hypotheses
Proposed Methodology
Proposed Timeline

3000 is a lot for a proposal. Five hundred is tight, 1,500 is standard, 2,000 is generous.

It's something like

The research question
The literature as it relates to the research area
Why there is a gap or this question is therefore interesting to answer
What method you will use and why
What the challenges to the method might be
What resources you will need and how you propose to get them
How you will manage your time to fit it in 3 years

I think my proposal was 1,000 words.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 2
Mine was about 1500 but not psychology

Few references in to pad it out

Did a 3000 worder for a research fellowship and that was super detailed
Original post by beccagood95

I've included:

Overview of Research
Research Questions
Background
Rationale and Hypotheses
Proposed Methodology
Proposed Timeline

My proposal was 1000 words, and I struggled to fit everything in.

The one thing that springs to mind that you haven't mentioned is a section on impact - who or what will have real world benefits from your research? Will there be economical, societal, organisational positive effects?
Original post by PhoenixFortune
My proposal was 1000 words, and I struggled to fit everything in.

The one thing that springs to mind that you haven't mentioned is a section on impact - who or what will have real world benefits from your research? Will there be economical, societal, organisational positive effects?

I've added that onto to my rationale, I mentioned why I think this area needs to be researched and who exactly will benefit from it and in what way. I might expand on it a little just to ramp up the word count.
Original post by threeportdrift
3000 is a lot for a proposal. Five hundred is tight, 1,500 is standard, 2,000 is generous.

It's something like

The research question
The literature as it relates to the research area
Why there is a gap or this question is therefore interesting to answer
What method you will use and why
What the challenges to the method might be
What resources you will need and how you propose to get them
How you will manage your time to fit it in 3 years

I think my proposal was 1,00 words.

I haven't written about challenges to the method yet. I might stick to 2000 words, send it to the potential supervisor and I'm sure she'll give me feedback on it and what I might be missing. It's my first ever attempt at a full research proposal so it won't be perfect!
You are missing with the Expected Results, Budget Part and Bibliography.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending