The Student Room Group

"Half of young adults say over-70s should be banned from voting..."

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Samiseli
Also a young adult is not 34 that’s almost middle aged

lolwot? almost middle aged is like 45
Reply 21
this stupid forum won't let me quote or tag you but @glaz If we start stripping old people of their rights on the premise they'll soon die anyway then where will it end?

Busy Homeless shelters refusing to admit over 70s because "they'll soon die anyway, and a young person could use the spot"

Murder sentances being reduced when the victim was over 70 because they was close to kicking the bucket anyway?

Old people are still people. I get how most of TSR and most of the 18-24 group eligable to vote were pretty angry with old people as it was essientially thier votes that lead to brexit, ..but these people are adults and are entitled to have a say.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Glaz
Eh I do agree with this. They're over 70, they're only going to be alive for what, 10, 15, 20, 30 more years at best? This is our world. We have to deal with what they do and with the turnout for younger people being as low as it is, we can't afford for all the old people who vote to make decisions that we don't agree with but we don't vote against. They don't have to deal with the consequences of their votes. We do. They're going to live in the world with the consequences of their votes for 30 more years at best and then they're going to die and no more ****s will be given. We're going to have to live with it for much longer.

With that logic nobody should be allowed to vote. I mean, you and I could die tomorrow. You never know.
Original post by Glaz
Eh I do agree with this. They're over 70, they're only going to be alive for what, 10, 15, 20, 30 more years at best? This is our world. We have to deal with what they do and with the turnout for younger people being as low as it is, we can't afford for all the old people who vote to make decisions that we don't agree with but we don't vote against. They don't have to deal with the consequences of their votes. We do. They're going to live in the world with the consequences of their votes for 30 more years at best and then they're going to die and no more ****s will be given. We're going to have to live with it for much longer.

This is so incredibly stupid and immature, not to mention offensive. God help us all if this is the future.
Oh my god jesus sorry for sharing my opinion!?
Reply 25
I propose that everyone gets a set number of votes based on this formula I invented:

Number of votes=IQAge×πAnnual salary in thousands\displaystyle \text{Number of votes} = \left \lceil\frac{\text{IQ} - \text{Age}\times \pi }{\text{Annual salary in thousands}} \right \rceil

You may have questions but I have the answers.
Reply 26
Original post by Sir Cumference
I propose that everyone gets a set number of votes based on this formula I invented:

Number of votes=IQAge×πAnnual salary in thousands\displaystyle \text{Number of votes} = \left \lceil\frac{\text{IQ} - \text{Age}\times \pi }{\text{Annual salary in thousands}} \right \rceil

This formula discriminates against old people.
Original post by jamesbarry17
"Half of young adults say over-70s should be banned from voting on the country's future" - The Sun

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/10224578/over-70s-voting-ban-uk/?utm_term=Autofeed&utm_campaign=sunpoliticstwitter&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1572214274

To anyone here who thinks this way: please take a good, hard look at yourself in the mirror. You are naive at best; 'absolutely pathetic' is probably also accurate. I'm actually shocked at this, but I suppose I shouldn't be.

well tbh honest i think that people over 65 who are not a member of parliament or who are retired shouldn't be allowed to vote HOWEVER we should not lower the voting age nor let people who don't go to school and who are perfectly capable of working but dont, vote. A.K.A if your unemployed you should not be allowed to vote either unless you have a disability, medical issue, pregnacy etc
Reply 28
Original post by ANM775
This formula discriminates against old people.

But they are more likely to have a low annual salary so that balances things out.
Original post by Sir Cumference

That formula discriminates against the mega rich. YEAHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!
Reply 30
Original post by Glaz

You shared your opinion in a place where you knew you were very likely to get noticed and argued against. More fool you than anyone else.
Original post by Glaz

It's ok Glaz :console:

I agree with you to an extent but I would say the over 80s shouldn't be allowed to vote unless they can pass a senility test and quite frankly.....none of my parents/in laws of that age could
Original post by Glaz

Many older people are of the opinion that the younger generation are a bunch of degenerate, illiterate, entitled snowflakes, too lazy to get out of bed and who cannot be trusted to sit on a toilet the right way round. Under 35's cannot therefore be trusted with universal suffrage.

See what I did there with a crass generalisation?
(edited 4 years ago)
Those who say over 70s should not be able to vote are on the same level as people who say women, blacks, gays or jews shouldn't be able to vote. Woah, "that may be a bit extreme" you are thinking, but no, doesn't matter on the classification - excluding one group from voting is wrong.
Original post by squeakysquirrel
vapid youngsters

facebook

Haven't used in like 3 years
selfies

Could not care less
navel gazing

The **** is that
Original post by Rock Fan
Many of the young adults are snowflakes and are offended by everything, they can't handle reality

Though I do not believe over-70s should be banned from voting, how are the younger generation offended by everything compared to the older generation as you can say they were much more sensitive due to fact they, as a whole, were offended by other minorities, LGBT+ members, woman workers and many more. Obviously not all were but most of them at that time especially with lawmakers then, where if you compare it with the younger generation they are less offended by all of these. How are the younger generation more offended by everything?
While we're arbitrarily stripping people of civil rights because we might not like how they use them, I'd like to go on record as saying all younger or older than me should not have the vote, as they are obviously not me and can't be relied upon to do what I do.
Reply 37
Original post by StriderHort
While we're arbitrarily stripping people of civil rights because we might not like how they use them, I'd like to go on record as saying all younger or older than me should not have the vote, as they are obviously not me and can't be relied upon to do what I do.

I vote aye.
I think you need to rethink your ideas. I am heading rapidly towards that age. I am guessing you are one of the vapid youngsters who cannot think beyond facebook, selfies and navel gazing.

Dumb vitriol like this that barely makes sense is why the youth want to take your votes, granddad.
Original post by yasmin3.1415
Though I do not believe over-70s should be banned from voting, how are the younger generation offended by everything compared to the older generation as you can say they were much more sensitive due to fact they, as a whole, were offended by other minorities, LGBT+ members, woman workers and many more. Obviously not all were but most of them at that time especially with lawmakers then, where if you compare it with the younger generation they are less offended by all of these. How are the younger generation more offended by everything?

IMO, Partly the internet, previously you worried about the problems that were closer to home and you couldn't dilute your whining onto social media, the people around you would get sick of it far quicker.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending