The Student Room Group

Should 16-year-olds be able to vote? The 2019 edition.

Poll

What should happen to the UK voting age?

With a general election seemingly not too far away, conversation has turned to that age old question - should 16-year-olds be able to vote?

An article by the BBC today says there's not enough time to lower the voting age before the election, but we wanted to hear your thoughts anyway!

We asked you this same question back in 2013, and back then it seemed like most of you thought it was fine to stay at 18.

How do you feel, six years later?

Should 16-year-olds be able to vote?
(edited 4 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
No, there are enough easily swayed, impressionable voters around as it is... I don't see any benefit to adding a load more (no, not all 16/17 year olds fit that description, but I think that group is more likely than over 18s to be easily led).

The general age of adulthood is 18, so that should be the minimum.
Original post by BlinkyBill
With a general election seemingly not too far away, conversation had turned to that age old question - should 16-year-olds be able to vote?

An article by the BBC today says there's not enough time to lower the voting age before the election, but we wanted to hear your thought anyway!

We asked you this same question back in 2013, and back then it seemed like most of you thought it was fine to stay at 18.

Unsure
One of the principle arguments used is that “16 year olds have to live with the result for longer”
So what? So does my cousins baby, but nobody is suggesting giving her the vote.
Original post by Neilos
No, there are enough easily swayed, impressionable voters around as it is... I don't see any benefit to adding a load more (no, not all 16/17 year olds fit that description, but I think that group is more likely than over 18s to be easily led).

The general age of adulthood is 18, so that should be the minimum.

I agree but you could argue that there are easily swayed and impressionable voters in all age groups
Reply 5
The question as to whether 16 year olds should be able to vote is irrelevant. No matter what wrecking amendments the remain parties try and put through the Commons today, the Electoral Commission has said there is not enough time to franchise these 16/17 year olds before a December election.
Stupid and provocative question to ask on a forum full of teenagers. What do you think the answer will be...?

Quite dangerous as well, voting isn't a game but this poll could be very influential yet it was posed...to a bunch of kids. Considering the demographic of the site it's quite unfair. For instance, YouTube and reddit and quora would have a different idea than tsr ....
No, I don't think 16 year olds should be given the right to vote, at that age I know a lot want to just as I did, but I among others never really knew the importance of my vote and in terms of politics didn't really understand much. Also at that age you just tend to follow the crowd so it wouldn't really be a meaningful vote!
100% should be lowered.
I agree that it isn't the most sensible idea to give 16 year olds a vote HOWEVER they can buy a house, have children and join the army so it seems somewhat backwards that you can do all that but not vote at 16
With a general election seemingly not too far away, conversation had turned to that age old question - should 16-year-olds be able to vote?

An article by the BBC today says there's not enough time to lower the voting age before the election, but we wanted to hear your thought anyway!

nah i think that it should stay as 18
Maybe, although in fairness, I think IQ should be more important than age
Original post by SammyBHall
Maybe, although in fairness, I think IQ should be more important than age

That's true! I'd say even some 18 year olds don't have a clue and shouldn't vote!
No.

By the time someone is 16, they have only recently been able to think deeply, hence they develop arrogance and think they know all there is to know, despite knowing very little. Voting has consequences and I believe most 16 year olds can't fully grasp the severity of consequences. Most people won't be able to grasp it until full development of the brain in mid 20s, but at 16 people have very little understanding of consequence, despite thinking that they do.
No way José
Original post by rosacherry
I agree that it isn't the most sensible idea to give 16 year olds a vote HOWEVER they can buy a house, have children and join the army so it seems somewhat backwards that you can do all that but not vote at 16

But buying a house at 16 - very unlikely
having children at 16 - probably a bad idea

so just because you can do something doesn't necessarily mean you should do it nor does it mean it's the right thing to do ....
Same question every month and I'll give the same answer.

No.
No.. and here are the answers to the following posts that will argue for it:

1. But I can do X/Y/Z at 16!! why not vote
Ans: Most of what you can do is with permission.. you can marry, with permission, you can join the army, only in a non-combat role, and only with permission etc. For every 1 thing you can do at 16, there are 3 that you cant.. you are still very much not an adult in the eyes of the law.

2. But I have to live with it longer! Its my future!

Ans: Its a 14 year olds future more than yours. Should they vote.. its a 12 year olds future more then theirs etc. etc.

3. My birthday is a day before/after, I should be able to vote!
Ans: Its unlucky, but where ever you put the cut-off someone gets screwed over. If you move it to 16, there will be aperson who is 15.9999 the day before the election, who will be just like you, and feel the same.

4. I have more knowledge than a lot of adults and my parents, why shouldn't I vote!
Ans: The voting age isn't about how clever you are or how much you know.. its about your possition in society. Its not a means test, otherwise people would be calling for IQ tests or questions at the voting booth. Instead its a reflection that every adult who contributes to society gets a say in how it functions. Obviously some don't contribute, but to take their vote away would be a logistical nightmare and cruel as it only takes in short-term circumstnaces

5. I am more mature than many 18 year olds!
Ans: Maybe.. but that's not normal. On average 18 year olds are more mature. That said this isn't relevant because the voting age isn't set because of maturity alone.

6. lets do it, but also increase poltiical classes in schools!

Ans: Great idea.. school teachers are overwhelmingly left-wing, and young people are statistically far more impressionable than old people. You can guess what's going to happen if you do that.

----

The voting age was set, and then lowerd to 18 as a reflection of your possition in society. Its when, traditionally, you were a fully functioning and contirbuting memeber of society who deserved a say. 30-40 years ago its the age you moved into your own home, prepared to get married, staretd to think about children, got a full-time job, paid taxes etc.

These days how many 18 year olds do that?

Do you want to know the reality.. multiple studies have shown, as reported in the BBC last year that actually 2 things are happening in our society:

1 - children are maturing into teenagers younger..
But
2 - teenagers are maturing into adults OLDER..

The average adolesnce now ends around 22-25 for most people. That is the age that by all normal metrics, most people are now acting and thinking as adults. Our culture and univerisites have prolonged adolesence and delayed adulthood.. and as a result there is a far far more sociologically sound arguement for raising the voting age than lowering it, to reflect what's happened over the past 20 years to young people.

Now, I would never do that.. its easy to give someone a vote, its much harder to take it away, and I don't think that removing the vote from 18 year olds is a good idea at all. But for every weak arguement for lowering the voting age, there is a much stronger arguement for raising it. So for all those who want to play the game of voting-ages, be careful.. because the debate doesn't go in the dirrection you want it to, when you actually start to look at what's changing in our society.

---

50% of adults who want to lower the voting age, are in it for political reasons. Young people vote Labour/Lib dems, why wouldn't they want a massive new voter base?
50% of adults who want to lower the voting age, do it because they have lost confidence in the authority and possition of adults over children.. They no longer think they know best, and would rather just let the children decide and get what they want, out of fear of making a mistake, doing the wrong thing, or not being equal/kind/fair.

No,

On average these kids are way too under informed and are certainly largely influenced by other heavily biased & under informed piers, social media & parents. TBH i would say the same thing about 18 yo's on average, but you have to give people the vote at some point, 18 seems right to me.

This is clearing a vote steering tactic by labour knowing they'll profit in a few more marginal seats.
Nope. 16 year olds are incredibly immature (they might not think they are but trust when they look back at 20 on their younger self they will agree).
A vote for a 16 year old at home is just another vote for the parents through a different person.
The living with it longer argument is nonsense, there will be another election in about 4 years people who are unable to vote due to age can survive that long.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending